Happy Canada Day!!! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Happy Canada Day!!!

To all of you North of the Border, particularly my friends and relatives in the Maritimes; a Very Happy Canada Day!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Happy Canada Day!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-07-03_13-51-47.JPG  

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Happy Canada Day to all!

Here are a few interesting facts about Canada that some may not know, some of which makes Canada so unique and for many of us makes us proudly Canadian!

Canada covers 9,984,670 square kilometres, or 7 percent, of the earth's surface. It is the second largest country in the world.

6,502,865 Canadians speak French as their first language.

With 2 Million lakes, Canada has the largest amount of freshwater in the world. (466,697 sq km)

8,891 Kilometres of border stretches across land and water. 2,477 Kilometres of border shared with Alaska alone.

The Trans-Canada Highway is the longest national highway in the world (7,841 km)

The Confederation Bridge between Prince Edward Island and the mainland is the longest in the world.

11.2 million Americans made a same day car trip to Canada in 07.

6 million passenger vehicles cross the border at the Ambassador Bridge in Ontario each year.

Canada leads the world as the largest grain producer.

Canada is the biggest supplier of oil to the USA.

Lacrosse not hockey is the national sport.

The word Canuck originated in about 1850 as a term for French Canadians. During the Great War it was applied to all Canadians.

Canada’s official Head of State is not the Prime Minister, the Governor General, the Queens Representative is.

Canada is Commonwealth country and as such new citizens must express allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors.

Yonge Street in Toronto is the longest street in the World.

The Canadian coastline, 243,792 km, is the longest in the world.

90% of Canadians live within 160km of the United States border.

Approx. 89% of Canada is not habitable due to extreme weather.

40% of the worlds newspapers are printed on Canadian paper.

Canada is the 2nd largest exporter of potatoes in the world.

Over $1 million in trade takes place every minute between Canada and the USA.

Canada entered WWI and WWII before the USA.

Between WWII and the Iraqi and Afghanistan conflicts in which Canada did join in a combative role, Canada is/was better known as one of the world's most committed peacekeeping nations.

In 1987 the one dollar bill was replaced by a one dollar coin known as the “Loonie” as it had a picture of a loon on it.

In 1996 the two dollar bill was replaced by a two dollar coin known as the “Toonie”.

The Canadian Goose is Canada’s national bird.

On March 24, 1975, the beaver received the highest honour ever bestowed on a rodent. On that day an "act to provide for the recognition of the beaver as a symbol of the sovereignty of Canada" received Royal assent.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Another interesting fact is that it appears that Vancouverites are 100 times more likely to flag a Vancouver Canuks flag than fly the Canadian flag on Canada Day. I think I'm the only one in the whole neighbourhood flying the flag.

Gotta say, when I cross the border and see all the Stars and Stripes flying it makes me think Canadians are a little deficient in the patriotism department. Ah well, I guess that's part of being Canadian eh.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
01-07-2012 9-37-55 AM  002_resize.JPG  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
LOL Ron you are so right but happy to report that this year my neighborhood has more Canadian flags flying than Canucks flags - but I think we both know why!

I recall that during the 2010 Winter Olympics the US press found it amusing that our Prime Minister Harper had to go public asking Canadians to wave the Canadian flag a lot more than what we normally do. He said “We will ask the world to forgive us this uncharacteristic outburst of patriotism, of our pride"

It really is part of being Canadian
Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Happy Canada Day from SW Ontario!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0681.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Happy Canada Day...and Happy 4th. to our neighbours!!!
What City is south of Detroit Mich??? Why Windsor Ontario Canada of course!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Happy Canada Day everyone... Enjoy yourselves!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Happy Canada Day!!!!

I'm very excited to be on my way soon! Ya never know, I may be "expressing allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors." in a few years.

But I must say as an American proud of our revolution, all respect to Elizabeth, there's something a little distasteful about that. I can see myself becoming a patriotic Canadian in theory. The royal association is quaint to learn about, I've been curious about it in all the Commonwealth countries I've lived in, they all have a slight variation it seems. But expressing loyalty to royalty is something an American will have to get used to.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Another interesting fact is that it appears that Vancouverites are 100 times more likely to flag a Vancouver Canuks flag than fly the Canadian flag on Canada Day. I think I'm the only one in the whole neighbourhood flying the flag.

Gotta say, when I cross the border and see all the Stars and Stripes flying it makes me think Canadians are a little deficient in the patriotism department. Ah well, I guess that's part of being Canadian eh.

Ron

NO... no.... Canadians are just very polite and don't want to create envy by showing off our very attractive flag too much .........( we've got 2 on our car and two in our yard - but we weren't born here so we aren't as polite )
Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Happy Canada Day!!!!

But I must say as an American proud of our revolution, all respect to Elizabeth, there's something a little distasteful about that. I can see myself becoming a patriotic Canadian in theory. The royal association is quaint to learn about, I've been curious about it in all the Commonwealth countries I've lived in, they all have a slight variation it seems. But expressing loyalty to royalty is something an American will have to get used to.
if your looking for a warm welcome from Canadians I strongly suggest you keep both those opinions under your hat Think you will IMHO find Her Majesty is mush loved by most. Not to mention a very large population of Canadian's are direct descendants of Loyalist - yup its a good bet someones 4th or 5th Great Grandfather was one of those who watch their 3 or 400 year old family farm in US burn and where forced to flea with their families with nothing to the wilderness of Upper Canada. Also don't be surprised if you meet a Canadian or two who are equally as proud of the fact that those same ancestors did some serious butt kicking to their southern neighbors during the War of 1812. Isn't history great!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
if your looking for a warm welcome from Canadians I strongly suggest you keep both those opinions under your hat Think you will IMHO find Her Majesty is mush loved by most. Not to mention a very large population of Canadian's are direct descendants of Loyalist - yup its a good bet someones 4th or 5th Great Grandfather was one of those who watch their 3 or 400 year old family farm in US burn and where forced to flea with their families with nothing to the wilderness of Upper Canada. Also don't be surprised if you meet a Canadian or two who are equally as proud of the fact that those same ancestors did some serious butt kicking to their southern neighbors during the War of 1812. Isn't history great!

Of course you DO know why the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is WHITE? (Until 1814 it had been Green!)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Of course you DO know why the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is WHITE? (Until 1814 it had been Green!)
Yup as I said - some serious butt kicking of their former country men took place
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Wait? Which two opinions? That I might be interested in immigrating? And that I don't like declaring loyalty to those I had no hand in and will never have a hand in choosing (royalty)?

Funny, I've found living in Australia and New Zealand that while many have a certain respect or nostalgia for the Queen, most are very glad there is only a ceremonial connection and are very proud their independence. In fact, many, mostly younger folks see the queen as a symbol of class-ism and ancient not so useful traditions. Do you find Canada does not have those sentiments? Or not as much? Or as an American should I butt out of such talk and just declare my undying affection for the queen?