Hard to find information on Bigfoot history - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Hard to find information on Bigfoot history

We're purchased a Bigfoot fiver and I've become extremely interested in the history of Bigfoot as a company as well as their product line. Unfortunately, I've found it extremely difficult to find any information about either. What I have found is a large volume of information about the bigfoot monster and people who claim to have seen him.

So, I've been frustrated and will have to up my electronic detective skills if I expect to find more than traces of Bigfoot information. It's my intent to compile a folder of information that will accompany our new-to-us 1988 fifth wheel trailer on our adventures.

What I have achieved is to explore the archives here on the FGRV forum as well as having joined the BOCI (Bigfoot Owner's Club International). I have found the owner's manual, the service manual as well as the Thank You brochure that was handed out at delivery of each trailer. However, I'm looking for more information about the company and the varied history that surrounds their fifth wheel trailers specifically. Part of my goal is to compile a list of links for the information as well as to print and three hole punch the pages for reference. Yup, I'm weird that way. We expect this trailer to be our "forever" vehicle and I want to know what's-the-what about the Bigfoot fivers.

Any help on links or advice will be appreciated...Bill (not Laura)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
time....

it's time you updated your registry then....

How do you like that BOCI thing ?? I've looked at it a few times but never actually signed up for a trial...the impression I got was that it was fairly California-centric....could be wrong of course....happens ALL the time

congrats on the new rig
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I found this (see p. 2). It's from an old Bigfoot brochure dated 2000, so it doesn't include the recent history of the 2006 revamp of the travel trailer line or the 2009 bankruptcy and subsequent sale.
Bigfoot History

Here's a screenshot of the relevant excerpt:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigfoot History.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	113168

When do you pick it up?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
history

well the bankruptcy wiped out a bunch of stuff now if some old timers would come in they could no doubt help out.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
it's time you updated your registry then....

How do you like that BOCI thing ?? I've looked at it a few times but never actually signed up for a trial...the impression I got was that it was fairly California-centric....could be wrong of course....happens ALL the time

congrats on the new rig
Franswa,

So far, I'd tend to agree with your assessment. But, since it's free, I'm going to give it the 60 days for a real trial. The content looks pretty light-weight and except for the social gatherings, there doesn't seem to be much content, but, meh...

Bill (not Laura)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
wikipedia

have you tried google and wikipedia?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you are interested in doing in depth background on the companies activities and history then using the name of the town(s) the company was located in find and then research the local newspapers' archives for the relevant dates you seek information on. Many times these newspaper articles have now been digitized. But not all newspapers are going to still be in business so you may or many not have success doing it online. Sometimes defunct newspaper give their archives to the local library or museum which might mean you would have to go there in person and look through microfiche records.

The keywords needed for your search will be the name of the company and possibly the names of company head officers.

In addition to the standard newspapers in a town there are often newspaper publications that are specifically about the business activities in the area. Those specialty newspapers often have articles about changes in the business itself, new product information, who was hired for what position, contracts with dealers, expansion, bankruptcy, etc. That information is often more detailed that what you might find in the regular daily newspapers.

Remember that newspapers get called different things. Such as in Seattle the specifically business related newspaper that is for this region is called "Puget Sound Business Journal". It will take you a little detective work to figure out what the regional business newspaper, magazine, journal etc was called but there will very likely have been one that was active at the time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #8

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I found this (see p. 2). It's from an old Bigfoot brochure dated 2000, so it doesn't include the recent history of the 2009 bankruptcy and subsequent sale.
Bigfoot History

Attachment 113168

When do you pick it up?
Jon,

This is the kind of stuff I knew others would have access to from previous searches. This is what I have read about but didn't have the source of and EXACTLY what I was hoping to find. This is the stuff that the members of this forum are so helpful about and make me glad to be a member.

Thank you very much!

Side note: we haven't picked it up yet since I don't have a passport, but, I have completed the application process and my new passport will be here soon. I have a 600 mile road trip ahead of me. I love adventures!

Bill (not Laura)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you are interested in doing in depth background on the companies activities and history then using the name of the town(s) the company was located in find and then research the local newspapers' archives for the relevant dates you seek information on. Many times these newspaper articles have now been digitized. But not all newspapers are going to still be in business so you may or many not have success doing it online. Sometimes defunct newspaper give their archives to the local library or museum which might mean you would have to go there in person and look through microfiche records.

The keywords needed for your search will be the name of the company and possibly the names of company head officers.

In addition to the standard newspapers in a town there are often newspaper publications that are specifically about the business activities in the area. Those specialty newspapers often have articles about changes in the business itself, new product information, who was hired for what position, contracts with dealers, expansion, bankruptcy, etc. That information is often more detailed that what you might find in the regular daily newspapers.

Remember that newspapers get called different things. Such as in Seattle the specifically business related newspaper that is for this region is called "Puget Sound Business Journal". It will take you a little detective work to figure out what the regional business newspaper, magazine, journal etc was called but there will very likely have been one that was active at the time.
K:

You are one sharp cookie and this is excellent advice. Laura has already begun this kind of search using your recommendations and found a lot of stuff in a very short period of time. I'll expand using your idea of searching for trade journals as well as business articles from local business information sections.

Y'all are the best! Thanks for helping out!

Bill & Laura (bof' us)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #10

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Closing in 2008
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Bigfoot Industries Closes
POSTED: Wednesday, 19 November 2008 | by Gordon White

This morning we received a tip that Bigfoot Industries had closed after thirty-one years in the RV manufacturing business. We then contacted the Bigfoot Industries switchboard and confirmed the unfortunate news. For further information we called Beau Durkee, Sales Representative for Bigfoot Industries.

TCM: What happened at Bigfoot this morning?

Beau: The major crediting bank for Bigfoot shut the company down. The bank’s decision came as a surprise to Bigfoot. We were willing to ride out this economic storm and absorb some losses, but the bank was not.

TCM: Is the Bigfoot closure permanent?

Beau: Yes. This is a permanent shut down and closure. If the company ever does restart, it would be something completely new.

TCM: Is there any warranty for Bigfoot owners?

Beau: Unfortunately, no. There is no company to back the warranty. If someone has a newer Bigfoot unit and they want some protection, my advice is to purchase extended warranty program from a local dealer.

TCM: Have the Bigfoot dealers been contacted?

Beau: I believe Jim Johnson, CEO and Co-Owner of Bigfoot, is drafting a letter for our dealer base now. I’ve been trying to contact the US dealers that I work with personally.

I spoke with Jim but I didn’t get a lot of specifics. He’s taking this incredibly personally as you might imagine. He’s very emotional about letting go of his employees who are his first concern.

Just this month, Jim invested $150,000 into a new fiberglass mold. The bank really caught Bigfoot off guard. There was certainly no intention to mislead any dealers or consumers who recently bought Bigfoot product. This was as much a surprise to Bigfoot as it was to the public.

TCM: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Beau: Please publish my phone number and invite Bigfoot owners to call me with any questions. My cell number is 661-406-5630 .

TCM: Thank you Beau.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hard to find information on Bigfoot history

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
Closing in 2008
Interesting, Aaron. Would you mind sharing your source for that interview?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Using the FiberglassRV custom Google Search brings up a bunch of stuff if you enter Bigfoot Bankruptcy in the search field:

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...95:46zkzu4-jj0
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
I found this (see p. 2). It's from an old Bigfoot brochure dated 2000, so it doesn't include the recent history of the 2006 revamp of the travel trailer line or the 2009 bankruptcy and subsequent sale.
Bigfoot History

Attachment 113168

When do you pick it up?
:the reason for the Bankruptcy is because the US dealers failed to sell the ones they had in stock in the 2008 downturn in the USA. They shipped them all back to Bigfoot that would of been the time to buy Bigfoots as they were all selling for less than cost, because of this they went under.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I have heard that the company founder and two senior managers were killed in a plane crash back in the '90s.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #15

Kentucky
Registry
email from Grant Bilodeau

After spending several hours online Sunday morning searching through newspaper archives and looking for magazine articles I was getting pretty frustrated. I'd found a few articles about Bigfoot but nothing like I was expecting, since Bigfoot is such a major player in the RV market.

So, I decided to go to the source and email Bigfoot directly. Hey, it costs only the time to type the message and even if they never answer, I'm no worse off than when I started typing. It was Sunday but I really didn't worry about not getting a reply, if ever, because of the inane nature of my request for information. I asked about the number of fifth wheels produced as well as the serial number decoding.

Imagine my surprise when I received the following reply Sunday evening about 8:00 pm from the president of Bigfoot Industries, Grant Bilodeau:

Hi Bill,

Do not have any real historic data. They were built in the mid to late 80's and the last one were built around 1993. Not really sure how many were built? We do not have the records so would be guessing how many were built.

Sorry we are not more assistance.

Regards,

Grant

I'll keep looking for information because I believe that someone out there knows more than is easily available. However, this reply, in my opinion, was an impressive display of professionalism and commitment to customer satisfaction.

bill (not laura)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
JrnutPaul and Chris&Maureen all have/had 1994 dual-axle Bigfoot 5th wheels.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
JrnutPaul and Chris&Maureen all have/had 1994 dual-axle Bigfoot 5th wheels.
Thanx Donna
Old 11-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #18

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Interesting, Aaron. Would you mind sharing your source for that interview?
It was just another forum, the original news site does not host the page anymore.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Here is the link to an extensive article on the rebirth and current operation including showing the various operations in the factory.
Bigfoot Campers on the Move - Truck Camper Magazine
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Foot-Sa...53.m1438.l2649
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot