Has the world moved beyond dialup? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #15

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
The pictures in your own blog are only about 300 X 400 pixels. It seems to me that you want a double standard here.
As to the question of dial up. There are many areas of both of our countries, mostly rural, that do not even have the opportunity to acquire high speed internet.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I can do it because I know the code. Others could too if you hadn't removed the "insert image" icon between the "link" and "email" icons.

PS all of the owners other 12 sites allow image inserts from external links
Anyone that links an image using other servers will come back and find the link has been removed and the picture embedded here.

We don't want this... ever if we can help it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photobucket.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	23754

CasitaForum has forbidden link images too. CasitaForum - All Members Please Read

Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The pictures in your own blog are only about 300 X 400 pixels. It seems to me that you want a double standard here.
As to the question of dial up. There are many areas of both of our countries, mostly rural, that do not even have the opportunity to acquire high speed internet.
I know.. so if they had dial up and they found a picture somewhere that they wanted to include in their post they would have to dial-up download the file and the dial-up upload the file... that would take forever. With the image insert capability that every other board has they could just link.

make sense?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
I am in no way in interested in posting my pictures here. Not in the least. I have some paid-for sites for that.
What I am encouraging is that linked images are enabled to tell a story and do do it without adding a single byte to the disk here or using an inch of bandwidth.

I remember Lindy so well.. may he rest in peace.
He had hundreds of images of his Casita mods on a flikr site.
When we would have discussion about something Lindy would join the discussion and add to it by linking to one of his images.
Realize that linking to images saves band width and disk space.

I am not trying to win an argument that I have already lost but I do feel compelled to answer users who may misunderstand what I am saying.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
And what has become of Lindy's Flickr site?

One reason we encourage people to post pics here on FiberglassRV.com is so we will have them available on our server. We hope our archived discussions will continue to include the images that make them useful.

I, too, prefer larger images imbedded right there in the discussion, if a topic is on something I'm interested in reading about. The clickable thumbnail has been a good compromise, for the reasons Donna's already given.

What I wish is that the board would resize too-large images for us...

Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I found some of Lindy's pictures on Webshots.com, Lindyw43

http://community.webshots.com/user/lindyw43
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
There are many areas of both of our countries, mostly rural, that do not even have the opportunity to acquire high speed internet.
Yeap, you be right. There are lots of areas just a few miles up the hill around my little town that don't have the opportunity for broadband/high speed. It's been an issue up here for quite sometime.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
You musta been outside for a looooong time Mike! FiberglassRV and Retirement, posted
Jul 28 2008, 09:44 AM
Hooo boy....that can't be good!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I know several people in Southern California (Imperial County) that would almost pay any price for high speed if they could get it. They've tried everything available; even satellite, without success.

NetZero is now running TV ads in this area for dialup for those who can no longer afford Broadband.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
I did this a few times years back and was asked to stop ostensibly because it made image loads too slow for dialup users to "view".
Of course it makes it even harder for dialup if they must "upload" instead of link.

The whole point of my post was to bring this to your attention and to see if all the moderators still concur that you would rather have images uploaded instead of linked.

Sorry to be of trouble
Sorry I make Bill feel so old

Ron

PS all of the owners other 12 sites allow image inserts from external links
I deleted the icon for a few reasons.
1) Sometimes the person posting is stealing bandwidth from a site just to show a tool or what ever.
2) People don't respect the size limitations or are lazy and post photos 23 inches wide which screws up the website layout, upload speeds and causes people like me on air cards to burn up Verizons bandwidth limits unnecessarily.
3) Often within a short time the links fail and we have broken links all over the website. Then we get moderator calls to fix or find the link.
When I owned the website, I had an exhaustive discussion with all twelve moderators about it. We decided to delete the icon and give people plenty of space for photos with NO limitation on quantity.

I believe the size could grow to 800 pixels wide maybe. Here again, how long would it take for people on dial up or aircards and what is the benefit over what we are doing?

One last point I would like to make [b]very strongly is that you may have noticed, FiberglassRV.com comes up number one on Google in 24 categories. This is no accident. I programmed in many features, one of which is SPEED of page loading. Add large obese photos and you kill that advantage, and for what?

Mike Sanders (previous website owner and designer)

PS: At one point my BANDWIDTH cost me $50/mo because another RV webmaster was uploading ALL his photos to this site and then doing as you say, linking to his site. He never offered to help cover the overhead. He was Flat Out Stealing from me. Ron, your logic of downloading and uploading from a copyrighted site or linking photos from a copyrighted site is stealing both bandwidth and in some cases art work. You of all people should understand taking photos without permission is not right. Yes, I feel strongly about this.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #25

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
There are many areas of both of our countries, mostly rural, that do not even have the opportunity to acquire high speed internet.
And some of us have High Speed connections, that state high "up to" speeds, yet operate at dial up speeds especially when it rains.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #26

Quote:
I deleted the icon for a few reasons.
1) Sometimes the person posting is stealing bandwidth from a site just to show a tool or what ever.
2) People don't respect the size limitations or are lazy and post photos 23 inches wide which screws up the website layout, upload speeds and causes people like me on air cards to burn up Verizons bandwidth limits unnecessarily.
3) Often within a short time the links fail and we have broken links all over the website. Then we get moderator calls to fix or find the link.
When I own the website, I had a exhaustive discussion with all twelve moderators about it. We decided to delete the icon and give people plenty of space for photos with NO limitation on quantity.
I understand your reason but disagree with your rational.
Rather than go through your responses point by point, I'll leave it thus:

You sold your site to Andy who owns dozens of - FOR PROFIT - sites, NONE of which kill linked images as you do here.
IRv2.com (also owned by Andy) which is ten times larger than this site allows linked images.
RV.net which is fifty times larger than this site also allows linked images.
One would think that they know what they are doing!

In fact, the ONLY other site I can find on the entire internet that does what you do here is casitafoum.com which is only 1/10th of your size.

So, I originaly made this post only because I was once told that the reason for not allowing linked images was because of dialup considerations. Now that we know that this is not "really" the reason I was hoping that the new admin would reconsider. But I am now absolutely sure this will not happen here even if Bill wets his pants.

As I told Donna, you are the admin and whatever you say goes.

Ron

Old 09-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ron, you've obviously given this a lot of thought and done some research. So, how would you solve the dilemma we have when links die.. especially if linked to pictures? See the top post on this page. Often, without the picture the text in a post would be meaningless. Membership fluxes here. Members drop out overtime, without pictures those members posts become nearly irrelevant. You mentioned Lindy. If Lindy had linked all his pictures here, instead of embedding, and Webshots goes down... So, aren't we better off having pictures embedded here for all time? At least here on FiberglassRV we have a measure of control. I don't especially like it when members post text, then post a link to a picture archive. But usually the text makes sense without the link.

To me, this is the number one reason we DON'T link pictures.

BTW: I don't think Andy owns RV.net, just to keep the record straight.
WhoIs Lookup
Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #28

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Good discussion.

I just went to www.irv2.com and clicked on CG Photo Reviews
at http://www.irv2.com/reviewpost/index.php which at the time of posting is a dead link!