Have you Escaped? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: Have you used your Trailer's Emergency Escape Window or Hatch?
Yes: I've Escaped and lived to tell! 0 0%
No: I've not had the opportunity! 23 88.46%
No: I don't have one 3 11.54%
I dunno if I even have one of those thingamajigs 0 0%
Heck, I don't want to answer - Just show me the @&*# votes! 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I have not had to but know someone who has had to last July. I think it is a very smart idea to have a fire drill plan for your trailer and to go through the motions so you will remember what to do and are sure how the exits work.

This fire was not in a fiberglass trailer but did start in the refrigerator area of the living quarters in a trailer that was used to tow a race car. The guys had stopped at the rest area at the north end of the Grape Vine on I5 to catch a few hours rest before heading on. One man was sleeping in the truck and one had gone to the trailer to stretch out.

The man (Dan) in the truck heard and felt a very large jolt and thought the trailer had been rear ended. Since he was asleep it took a few seconds for him to get his glasses on and realize the trailer was on fire and his brother (Harold) was in there. He jumped out and heard his brother screaming and hollering trying to get out the door which was damaged in the explosion and had been blocked by a large ice chest that had been blown that direction. Dan had the presence of mind after yanking the door open and seeing the wall of flames to yell at his brother to go out the top escape hatch, which he was able to do.

Harold was badly burned on his arms and face but has survived and is still healing.

Don't count on anyone helping you either. In a busy rest stop no one stepped in to help. In fact a truck driver Dan tried to get a fire extinguisher from saw what was happening and pulled away as Dan was banging on his door yelling for help. No one else there stepped up either. On a busy highway it took 40 minutes for help to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
520.jpg   543.jpg  

1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...I've never had to use ours...but I sure know how it works!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I'm with you Alf. If emergency equipment is never studied or tested, it may be a disaster when needed.
Remember all those school drills: fire, tornado, civil emergency? They were all made to prepare us for the day that would hopefully never happen, but be familiar if it did...

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ten feet of space in a Boler.
Four feet of bed.
Two feet of dinette.
That leaves four feet of floorspace.
Lean over and open door!!!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #18
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Lean over and open door!!!
IF you can get the door open. Do NOT assume that's where you can get out. In every circumstance, trailer or home or movie theatre, you should know two exits, how to get there and how to use any equipment necessary to egress/exit.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
Name: GlendaLaine
Trailer: Casita
South Dakota
When we bought our Casita new in 2008, we didn't roll in or adjust the new awning during July rain storms in Florida, so our 3-day old awning got ripped and supports severely bent. Thankfully, insurance paid for a new awning from the Orlando Fiamma dealer (only other one was in Los Angeles). We couldn't change out the old awning until we arrived at family in VA a couple days later, so we carefully stored the new awning in the trailer by putting it thru the emergency window. A pain, but very useful.

Then last summer, the door lock fell apart twice and wouldn't unlock. The first time, I climbed thru the emergency window that just happened to not be locked, and managed to remove the door lock enough to get it open. Thought we had the lock lubricated and fixed, but a week later the door wouldn't unlock again when we arrived back home. The emergency window was locked that time, so had to cut a screen to get in. I'm small enough to get in the windows, but had to use a step stool to get up into it. We replaced that cut screen and another one plus got a new, beefier door lock from Casita. No more problems, but sure was thankful for that emergency window. I imagine we'll be even more thankful for it if we need to get out thru it!

~~ Glenda ~~
Glenda, Jeff, & Kira (the Keeshond)
'08 17' Casita LD, 2010 Brown Toyota Tundra 4x4
FULL TIMING since June 2011
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I don't know what the fire code for RV's is but the longer the length the more important a second exit is!!! If you think about it the propane flamables, furnace, fridge, and stove are usually located in the center of the unit. Your door/escape route could be blocked by flames.
Thanks Lizbeth... a picture sure is worth a thousand words. I just hope we learn from YOURS!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy No: I don't have one

I actually answered that I haven't had the opportunity, but Fiber Stream merely labeled the regular window on the Driver's side toward the front (the one farthest from the door) as "Exit". It does not have an "emergency" opening mechanism.

This is the window that my air conditioner is presently installed in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0440.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	33654

After I installed the A/C, I moved the "Exit" sticker to the front window, which is identical to the one the A/C is in. But I would have to have the clarity of thought to push both the sliding screen and the sliding window to the side, then push the window rock guard up (if closed). then I'd have to wriggle my officially obese girth through an opening 16" high by 20" wide which is 65" above ground level. (and I am only 66" tall) The only way I figure I could do this in a hurry is face first.

All of the propane appliances are between the bed and the entry/exit door.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #22
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
13' Scamp
Faster out the door than the roof vent.
My legs would burn off, before I could get out the roof vent.
I am heading for the door.
Kevin K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
We are in the process of a frame off restoration. One of the main modifications we are making to our boler is to replace the standard back window with an emergency escape window. It's been a lot of work for this modification but we feel that the safety of an emergency exit makes it worth it. You never know what could happen and having the safety options is important to us.
John and Jaci | Our furry friends Chief and Scampy
1972 Boler American - The USS NeverSail | 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
John and Jaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Our kids popped it on our first 13' Scamp at the plant and thought it would make a good place to hunt deer from.

Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote