Have you Escaped? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Have you used your Trailer's Emergency Escape Window or Hatch?
Yes: I've Escaped and lived to tell! 0 0%
No: I've not had the opportunity! 23 88.46%
No: I don't have one 3 11.54%
I dunno if I even have one of those thingamajigs 0 0%
Heck, I don't want to answer - Just show me the @&*# votes! 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Exclamation Have you Escaped?

This was the original question that spurred the "How safe is Trailering?" Poll.

Have you ever had occasion to use your trailer's emergency exit window or hatch? Do you know how it works? Do know if you have one?

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I have yet to figure out how you can not get to the door of any egg in an emergency.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg, what would you do if a tree blew down and blocked the door while you were inside? And it has happened.

A number of years ago, my daughter went into the trailer and the wind caught the door and slammed it shut. The old door handle/lock spun and she was effectively trapped inside the Scamp. Remember, the key lock is only on the outside on a Scamp. Fortunately, I was outside and had the key in my pocket (which I don't normally carry) and I was able to unlock the door and get her out. IF both of us would have been inside and no one outside had the key, the only way to get out would have been the egress window or vent. I changed the door handle/lock as soon as I got home.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Indiana
Well I never think of trees anymore, here in my part of Tx there aren't any trees, but that could be a problem in other places. I'm glad everything turned out good. Really when I think escape I'm thinking fire and I figure you're never far from the door.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Not sure I would call it an opportunity to have to use the emergency window, But I for one am thankful it's there if needed............

I did have to crawl thru the Casita's dinning area window once last summer when my Dh hit the lock on the truck and locked the key's inside. Would have had to break a window in the truck (expensive) so I opted for slitting the screen on the Casita window and crawling in and getting my extra set of truck keys in my makeup bag...... Not fun, I have long legs and I am certainly not a little thing, plus we had just pulled into the rv park and I had did a few loads of laundry (Blankets, sheets, towels, clothes from being on the road for a couple of weeks) But we were heading to meet friends for dinner, so I threw it in on the captains chairs plus threw a few bags on the floor. Figuring to deal with it when we got back to the Casita.. So getting my bod and my long legs in that window and over everything without messing up my outfit for dinner out, was not so much fun! But I did it. So I am here to tell you, if need be I will give the emergency escape window a whirl!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I've never had to use ours...but I sure know how it works!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna, Are you saying that if a Scamp is locked witha key from the outside that it can't be opened from the inside?

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I opened mine just to be sure it works...
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I know it works on the Casita, were also in a Casita 16. Donna was speaking of a Scamp.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Not sure I would call it an opportunity to have to use the emergency window, But I for one am thankful it's there if needed............

I did have to crawl thru the Casita's dinning area window once last summer when my Dh hit the lock on the truck and locked the key's inside. Would have had to break a window in the truck (expensive) so I opted for slitting the screen on the Casita window and crawling in and getting my extra set of truck keys in my makeup bag...... Not fun, I have long legs and I am certainly not a little thing, plus we had just pulled into the rv park and I had did a few loads of laundry (Blankets, sheets, towels, clothes from being on the road for a couple of weeks) But we were heading to meet friends for dinner, so I threw it in on the captains chairs plus threw a few bags on the floor. Figuring to deal with it when we got back to the Casita.. So getting my bod and my long legs in that window and over everything without messing up my outfit for dinner out, was not so much fun! But I did it. So I am here to tell you, if need be I will give the emergency escape window a whirl!
Just how long are those legs? and aren't you lucky it wasn't a skirt day.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Just how long are those legs? and aren't you lucky it wasn't a skirt day.

Pretty long, my Dad was 6'4 and I had a longer inseam than him. But I am only 5'9. And I decided to go legs first rather than face first, figured it was easier once inside to stretch to reach a foot hold rather than face plant where ever gravity landed me!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Pretty long, my Dad was 6'4 and I had a longer inseam than him. But I am only 5'9. And I decided to go legs first rather than face first, figured it was easier once inside to stretch to reach a foot hold rather than face plant where ever gravity landed me!
Good answer.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Donna, Are you saying that if a Scamp is locked witha key from the outside that it can't be opened from the inside?

Norm
Try it.... obviously with someone on the inside and someone on the outside with the key. My experience is NO.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Try it.... obviously with someone on the inside and someone on the outside with the key. My experience is NO.
Or better yet, with the door left open?!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I have not had to but know someone who has had to last July. I think it is a very smart idea to have a fire drill plan for your trailer and to go through the motions so you will remember what to do and are sure how the exits work.

This fire was not in a fiberglass trailer but did start in the refrigerator area of the living quarters in a trailer that was used to tow a race car. The guys had stopped at the rest area at the north end of the Grape Vine on I5 to catch a few hours rest before heading on. One man was sleeping in the truck and one had gone to the trailer to stretch out.

The man (Dan) in the truck heard and felt a very large jolt and thought the trailer had been rear ended. Since he was asleep it took a few seconds for him to get his glasses on and realize the trailer was on fire and his brother (Harold) was in there. He jumped out and heard his brother screaming and hollering trying to get out the door which was damaged in the explosion and had been blocked by a large ice chest that had been blown that direction. Dan had the presence of mind after yanking the door open and seeing the wall of flames to yell at his brother to go out the top escape hatch, which he was able to do.

Harold was badly burned on his arms and face but has survived and is still healing.

Don't count on anyone helping you either. In a busy rest stop no one stepped in to help. In fact a truck driver Dan tried to get a fire extinguisher from saw what was happening and pulled away as Dan was banging on his door yelling for help. No one else there stepped up either. On a busy highway it took 40 minutes for help to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
520.jpg   543.jpg  

534.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...I've never had to use ours...but I sure know how it works!!!
I'm with you Alf. If emergency equipment is never studied or tested, it may be a disaster when needed.
Remember all those school drills: fire, tornado, civil emergency? They were all made to prepare us for the day that would hopefully never happen, but be familiar if it did...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ten feet of space in a Boler.
Four feet of bed.
Two feet of dinette.
That leaves four feet of floorspace.
Lean over and open door!!!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Lean over and open door!!!
IF you can get the door open. Do NOT assume that's where you can get out. In every circumstance, trailer or home or movie theatre, you should know two exits, how to get there and how to use any equipment necessary to egress/exit.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #19

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
When we bought our Casita new in 2008, we didn't roll in or adjust the new awning during July rain storms in Florida, so our 3-day old awning got ripped and supports severely bent. Thankfully, insurance paid for a new awning from the Orlando Fiamma dealer (only other one was in Los Angeles). We couldn't change out the old awning until we arrived at family in VA a couple days later, so we carefully stored the new awning in the trailer by putting it thru the emergency window. A pain, but very useful.

Then last summer, the door lock fell apart twice and wouldn't unlock. The first time, I climbed thru the emergency window that just happened to not be locked, and managed to remove the door lock enough to get it open. Thought we had the lock lubricated and fixed, but a week later the door wouldn't unlock again when we arrived back home. The emergency window was locked that time, so had to cut a screen to get in. I'm small enough to get in the windows, but had to use a step stool to get up into it. We replaced that cut screen and another one plus got a new, beefier door lock from Casita. No more problems, but sure was thankful for that emergency window. I imagine we'll be even more thankful for it if we need to get out thru it!

~~ Glenda ~~
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I don't know what the fire code for RV's is but the longer the length the more important a second exit is!!! If you think about it the propane flamables, furnace, fridge, and stove are usually located in the center of the unit. Your door/escape route could be blocked by flames.
Thanks Lizbeth... a picture sure is worth a thousand words. I just hope we learn from YOURS!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote