Have you ever had trouble at the border? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I am a US citizen and travel to Canada about every 4 months. Never with a trailer though. Never have I had an issue with Canadian customs. They are always professional and do their job.

Coming back into the US has been more of an issue. Not a big deal, but kind of funny. One time the customs agent asked where I lived. I told him MA. He then added that before that you lived in VT. I said no. He said that's what your passport says. Okay, 66 years ago, I was born in VT and lived there for a year. That ended that.

The most serious issue happened when the agent typed in the wrong info about my license plate. That led to being pulled aside for special questioning. We had our dog with us and it was hot. We tried to take the dog with us to the building for questioning and an agent said we couldn't. We asked where to leave the dog. He said in the car. My wife said no, it is too hot, and if he wanted to enforce that, he would have to shoot her. Well, he got on the phone and we were allowed to bring our 20 lb dog with us.

Today at the VT border they have license plate recognition software so that they know who you are, before you reach their station. Last time I went through the agent first words were " Hello Michael".

Mike
Michael W A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
I have a friend with a motorcycle with a plate that is close enough to a stolen bike's plate that more than once the optical character recognition software has flagged him as a thief at the border.

I hate the border. Nexus card really helps.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 77 Scamp
non fiberglass moment but crossing back into the US from a medical convention. My child then 2 and throwing an ENORMOUS fit just a cars length away from the guard, my MIL on my right...I'm flustered beyond belief with just this scenario coupled with making sure I had all the documentation. So as I pull up, my turn, I'm beat red with hives and a screaming child, the guy asks me if the child in the back seat is mine and where is dad when "whoosh" a sippy cup zips by my head...I turn around and loose it at my kid about throwing a cup at me.....the guard looks at me and without even looking at my papers says "just go", I'm dumbfounded and look at him like thats it thats all? and he just waved me threw.......its funny now
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I reload my own ammunition and often wonder why the smell of the powder has never caused any problems. Most powders are nitroglycerin and/or nitrocellulose based and I'm sure a lot of my camping and traveling equipment have been heavily exposed to the vapors. So far, no problems however. It makes me wonder just how sensitive some of the equipment and dogs are to explosives.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We regularly fly from Scotland to the US, then drive into Canada to visit relatives and return for a vacation in America. Never have we had any issues at the US/Canada border, although it seems that on the Canadian side the customs officers appear a little more 'stern' (though at all times polite) than the Americans.
As an aside, being from Scotland, we are fortunate to benefit from participation in he US visa waiver scheme where we fill in an ESTA form online and pass through border control at our arrival airport. Again, apart from the sometimes lengthy queues, we have had no problems passing into the US.
Andy Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I lived in a small town, very close to a border crossing and my neighbour was a customs officer and knew many acting and retired officers. It was a small isolated area where the towns folk from the closest american town with very little services made use of our municipal pool for swimming lessons, arena for skating etc. If the traffic was quiet, and we had been away for awhile, a stop at the border was more like a visit across the back yard fence finding out the town news over the past few weeks. What a big shock and a good lesson when crossing at a busier crossing to be reminded by the officer, to answer only the questions that I was asked. I was glad for the officer's sense of humour, when asked if I had anything to declare, my young son, decided that was the time to declare his mother was an alien. They have a tough job, they are great people off the job and they are not perfect. I'm glad we have , on the whole, a positive relationship with our neighbours to the south. Great to get to know you at gatherings and on line.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote