Have you ever had trouble at the border? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Question

I have crossed the border into the USA and back into Canada many times all were uneventfull until now

After a great trip through Montana we arrived at the Canadian border crossing it went like this;

What do you have to declare?

I passed her my declaration card claiming 24 beers and half a bottle of rum and 4 beer in the trailer fridge; we bought a few other small items valued less than $800

Let me see your receipts

Let see now you have a receipt for 24 beer and you claim to have 28 where is the receipt for the other 4?

I didn't save every receipt for everything we bought and we are well under our $800 limit

How many firecrackers do have?

Huh?

How many firecrackers do have, how much fireworks are you bringing back?

None

Do you have any food items?

There's some food in the fridge

How many eggs do you have?

I didn't count them but there's less than a dozen

Pull your unit ahead and stand 20 feet in front of the vehicle while we conduct a search

The questions continued for about 20 minutes she left stone no unturned how much money did we have how much did we spend, repairs, alterations, did you mail any items back in your name, the tires on the camper look new do you have a receipt, the interrogation went on and on while another guard went through the trailer after the inspection she came towards me and said we found half a bottle of rum in the camper! You are not being honest with what else are you lying about? I told her while biting my tongue to look on the declaration I handed her when we started, after she read I had declared the rum she said I still don't think your being honest about something and in the future when you visit the USA document every penny you spend I thanked her for her time and we drove away wondering if we just entered Canada or Russia.
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
Have you ever had trouble at the border?
We crossed at Sault St. Marie, MI in 1996. It was our 1st (and only) crossing into Canada after crossing back and forth into Mexico many times. We were a little nervous about the whole gauntlet feel of the event, which the inspectors took to mean that we must be up to something no good.
We got pulled into secondary too, and they tired of the game and quit just before they got to Robert's Medicine suitcase full of his AIDS drugs. (Thank You, Jesus!)

Speaking of Mexico, I used to have trouble crossing to work in Tijuana and Ensenada occasionally. This was right after California passed Proposition 187, and before the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional.

I look at it as part of the law of averages.
I expect to have trouble, and consider it not too bad if it happens less than 5% of the total times I cross.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I am saddened to read reports like this as my wife and I spend a lot of time in the USA (as Canadians) and have, in general, been treated well and with courtesy in both directions. For some years we pulled our Trillium, then the L'il Bigfoot to Florida in winters and I have taken a Pop-up and my Bigfoot 17 to Dayton for the Hamvention several times. Only on a few occasions was more than a few minutes taken in answering questions. Food into USA was a bugaboo on 2 occasions, as others mentioned. We now tow a 'loaded to the roof' minivan for wintering in FL and back and have been pleased with the Border Crossings. I must say that my hands get sweaty and I get a lump in my stomach EVERY TIME I have to do the deed, but it has been painless. I do recall, 30 years ago, being hassled many times in flights across the border, mostly by my CDN officials upon returning, and getting pretty tired of these events. However, I was younger then, had hair, sideburns, etc., that are dim memories now! Spending 2 years at the University of Detroit, and coming home to Toronto every several weeks in early 60s never seemed a problem. Gas at 19.9c per gallon with a 58 Volkswagon made returns very cheap.
I guess that there are some overly zealous Customs Officials everywhere, and we're bound to run into one now and then!
Don't measure a Country, or it's People by a few officious Government Employees!
Mike

Quote:
I have crossed the border into the USA and back into Canada many times all were uneventfull until now

After a great trip through Montana we arrived at the Canadian border crossing it went like this;

What do you have to declare?

I passed her my declaration card claiming 24 beers and half a bottle of rum and 4 beer in the trailer fridge; we bought a few other small items valued less than $800

Let me see your receipts

Let see now you have a receipt for 24 beer and you claim to have 28 where is the receipt for the other 4?

I didn't save every receipt for everything we bought and we are well under our $800 limit

How many firecrackers do have?

Huh?

How many firecrackers do have, how much fireworks are you bringing back?

None

Do you have any food items?

There's some food in the fridge

How many eggs do you have?

I didn't count them but there's less than a dozen

Pull your unit ahead and stand 20 feet in front of the vehicle while we conduct a search

The questions continued for about 20 minutes she left stone no unturned how much money did we have how much did we spend, repairs, alterations, did you mail any items back in your name, the tires on the camper look new do you have a receipt, the interrogation went on and on while another guard went through the trailer after the inspection she came towards me and said we found half a bottle of rum in the camper! You are not being honest with what else are you lying about? I told her while biting my tongue to look on the declaration I handed her when we started, after she read I had declared the rum she said I still don't think your being honest about something and in the future when you visit the USA document every penny you spend I thanked her for her time and we drove away wondering if we just entered Canada or Russia.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Interesting thread. I have been crossing the border into Canada since I was 2 months old in 1942 to Great Grand Parents farm outside of St. Stephen, NB. With the exceptions of some overzealous summer help having power issues, the crossings have always been smooth until I crossed from Montana into Alberta at the Sweetgrass crossing in 2003.
I had spent a week working at Cheyenne Frontier Days and had spent several days traveling through Wyoming and Montana so looked a bit rough around the edges. I was also traveling alone, the car was stuffed full of gear. and I have Texas plates. According to an ex-Mountie friend of mine, all strikes against you when crossing into Canada. When I pulled up, I showed them my passport, not necessary at the time but I had found out several years earlier it did make things easier going both ways. After I was asked the usual general questions then came the one about "Do you have Mace, pepper spray, or firearms?" No to all. More general questions as to where headed and why then, "Do you have any firearms?" No again. More questions then, "Do you have a pistol?" Now I beginning to get irritated but since I don't control the situation I just say "No", again but do ask how long they keep their computer files about people entering. He said 7 years, so I told him to check the crossings at Milltown, NB and he would see how often I crossed the border and I knew the drill. After a nasty look he asked me if I had any guns at home. I almost lost it at that point but curtly replied that I did and they were all safely and properly stored in a safe. Finally, he indicated that I should pull into a parking space for inspection. The inspecting officer was quite cordial and we had a nice chat while he inspected my car. I was surprised that I was asked to take out any valuables, passports, or important papers and stand at the front of the car. That was new. After a somewhat cursory search he pointed to something on the floor in the back and asked what it was. I had to laugh when I saw what he was refering to. It was a wooden folding boot jack that I used to remove my high top boots. I unfolded it to show him and then he recognized it. A souvenier of my summer in Germany teaching SW Cowboy cooking. My Mountie friend later told me that the border people think people from the Southern and SW US all carry guns.
On my way back to the States, same crossing, the first thing I was asked by US Customs, "Are you carrying any guns?" I said "No" Then she followed it up with "But y'all from Texas". Before I could say anything she laughed , pointed over her shoulder to the fellow behind her and said, We're from El Paso" We ended up having a nice chat after that.
That was my experence at Sweetgrass. I seem to have it easier crossing into the Maritimes. Maybe it is becuase I use the local crossing and not the big ones where the tourists and Commercial traffic cross. Even with the hassle my trip to Alberta was agreat one.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Our full timer friends with a big 5th wheel had a lot of difficulty crossing into Canada on the way to Vancouver.

The Canadians too two hours going through their camper and tore everything out in the process. Of course they put nothing back and my friends had to spend hours setting everything right. The Canadians were rude and treated my friends like some kind of scum.

My friends will NEVER return to Canada and urge others to find somewhere else to go.

Personally, I don't enjoy that kind of treatment myself and will in the future spend my money here in the states.

Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Our full timer friends with a big 5th wheel had a lot of difficulty crossing into Canada on the way to Vancouver.

The Canadians too two hours going through their camper and tore everything out in the process. Of course they put nothing back and my friends had to spend hours setting everything right. The Canadians were rude and treated my friends like some kind of scum.

My friends will NEVER return to Canada and urge others to find somewhere else to go.

Personally, I don't enjoy that kind of treatment myself and will in the future spend my money here in the states.
I had a similar situation a number of years back. Only difference was that I was going into the USA and it was USA Custom people who did it. I never begrudge them as they were doing there job. It never stopped me from going into the USA to spend my Canadian money there. Oh---I did convert my money before hand into USD.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
We bought our Rv Park in April after 9-11. The entering process at that point was strict and frankly I think it should be.

Bud, honestly I have heard horror stories from both sides! Again, personally I think the border crossing should be strict!

At times (during heightened terrorist alerts) the process of crossing tightens even more. Perhaps there had been some issues that day Rick. You just never know!

I use to tell guest, you have no clue what car load of smart asses went thru 5 minutes before you or what jackass tried to hide something he knew he wasn't suppose to take and his demeanor was an alert so guess what? You drive thru next and they are still mad, so they are gonna take it out on you! It's just a fact! Even in your job, a customer, co-worker etc might get your goat. Are you able to turn it off immediately? Most of us can't!

One of our guest whom came year after year even if for a short time on their way to another adventure (one of the most mellow people I have ever met!) answered the guards question with a "tart" remark and that only made the process longer! His wife was ready to kill him, not the guard! her husband. ......

We actually had several border crossing employee's as guest (from both sides of the border) and they always said I was right with my thoughts! Mostly the thing that made them super crazy is the people who tried to hide the fact that they are entering with something that they can't enter with. Like the guard is stupid or something! (lets not even get into the morons who take their pot across!) Lame! But since they deal with so many people who think their getting something past the border crossing, it eventually rub's off on (All) who cross.

Don't give up on Canada, it's a beautiful place to visit!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #8

Well said Robin G
Old 07-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
I wouldn't let this incident stop me crossing the border again, out of the past 30 times across I never had a problem. The guards are doing a serious job and take their duties very serious, but in this case there was nothing I could say to make her happy. I was never worried about "getting caught" because we were not doing anything wrong and I was still a Canadian citizen they couldn’t refuse me. One thing I would recommend is stopping at the Canadian customs on the way down and declaring all cameras, computers and that kind of stuff she really lowered the boom about that, fortunately all our stuff is old!
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
fortunately all our stuff is old!
Just like me.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
... The entering process at that point was strict and frankly I think it should be....
I agree except maybe the walls that surround and protect us haven't been enough. Sometimes I wish California had a border crossing, especially this time of the year when it's extremely hot in the desert, to restrict the flow of Arizona residents (Zonies) seeking relief from the heat. At least make sure that they don't bring goods into the state that could be purchased locally. And it sure would be nice if we could restrict even neighboring communities from trespassing on our turf. Thankfully our gated community is able to filter out what government hasn't been able to restrict.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Twice we've suffered through officious jerks while crossing into the US. One guy had me stand 15 feet from the trailer, then went in and started asking me questions. Because I don't hear well, I moved closer to hear what he was asking. That put his hand on his gun and made me back up. When I didn't answer his questions, I pointed to my hearing aides and said I could come closer and answer questions or stand back and not hear. At that point he didn't know what he wanted so he confiscated an apple (grown in washington) warned me not to get sassy, and sent us on our way. As I said, an officious jerk, but I don't hold that against the US or the great people we meet camping or at NOGS. Bud, if you let them get to you, they've won. C'mon up and see beautiful B.C., and we'll say hi when we're in Virginia in October.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I wouldn't let this incident stop me crossing the border again

in this case there was nothing I could say to make her happy.

[b]Perhaps, Chocolate?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I agree except maybe the walls that surround and protect us haven't been enough. Sometimes I wish California had a border crossing, especially this time of the year when it's extremely hot in the desert, to restrict the flow of Arizona residents (Zonies) seeking relief from the heat. At least make sure that they don't bring goods into the state that could be purchased locally. And it sure would be nice if we could restrict even neighboring communities from trespassing on our turf. Thankfully our gated community is able to filter out what government hasn't been able to restrict.
I'm thinking this is a tongue-in-check comment, because I KNOW you aren't trying to start a political debate on FiberglassRV.

In Oregon, many communities rely on tourists, such was the town of Bandon. The Oregon Gathering brought in 80-85% of people from outside Oregon and we luv each and every one of you... and so did the State of Oregon and especially the City of Bandon.

Safe travels everyone
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
My last crossing was below Calgary heading for Harvey Montana .As I remember the sign in Canada saying the next service 150 miles so the crossing was quite small As the Sargent stepped from his shack He saluted me and began asking guestions the first being Where were you born { I replied Ottertail county MN] As he continued with his partner looked through the trailer and after many questions he came back with so you were born in Beaver Dam Wi were you? No i said Ottertail mn GOOD ANSWER PASS THROUGH!! You could tell this was his own routine and he was proud of it He reminded me of Sgt Carter on the Gomer Pyle show.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Trail Michigante
I was at the Vancouver airport headed to Whistler BC for a mountain bike race. Things seemed to be going okay until I couldn't recall the name of the hotel where I'd be staying. "I don't know. I stayed there last year. It's at the far end of the village." I said. "How will you get there?!" the officer asked, very incredulously. "The shuttle will take me and I'll know it when I see it," I answered. "You don't know where you're going? You have expensive bicycling and photographic equipment with you...What are your intentions with these items? she asked. "Um, I'm going to ride and take photographs," I said, trying hard to not sound sarcastic. "Hmm, we need you to step to the side," she said.

Sooooo, I was passed on to two other agents. After having them open my bike box, pull out all of my tools (the shock pump really piqued their interest) poke through my luggage, have me open the battery compartment to my strobe, have me take the lenses off of my cameras, ask me the same questions several different ways, ask me at least five different times about what hotel I'd be staying at, they FINALLY let me through...too late to catch my shuttle. Which also meant I missed having dinner with the rest of my party.

Oh well. I survived.
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
In September of 2000, the first and only time we have crossed into Canada, the airline stewardess warned us that after landing we would find customs at the Montreal airport crowded and chaotic. And too make sure we had our declarations questionnaire completely filled out.

When we arrived there was no one there but the passengers from our flight. When we got to the customs booth the officer asked why we were entering Canada. I replied that we were boarding a cruise ship for a trip back to New York.

He then asked if we had passports and I said yes and handed him both of our passports. He opened them, stamped them, handed them back, and said to have a good time.

He never looked at our declarations questionnaire.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
1984 after crossing into Canada at Buffalo and visiting Niagra Falls and spending the night, the US customs people searched us. There is the wife, four kids and a dog. Each person has two suit cases and a carry-on bag. Every suit case has a copy of my orders to Germany in it and is stuffed to the max because it will take six weeks to three months for our household goods to arrive. After an hour and a half with everything out of the van, on the ground, all containers opened; a supervisor comes over. Takes one look at the orders I show him and he says "we are done here". Then they wanted us to move so we wouldn't be blocking one of their precious search spots.

I appreciate what they do and have to put up with, but some of us should be able to get a "good guy" card or something.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We've been through border patrols and immigration in many countries, (by land, sea, and air) and the truth of the matter is, it's kind of a lottery that you'll be searched, even if you're following the rules. It is what it is.

Everyone needs to protect their borders, and interior, and we all need to understand and fulfill our obligations to our guest country. Eat, or give away, or throw away, offending produce, meats, etc. , before entry. If you're provided with forms, fill them out completely. Weapons (even items we may not consider to be "weapons" in the US, like pepper spray, need to find a shelf at home, before we depart..)
Flying from home to Alaska to camp, I had two lighters taken from my luggage, checked, six or seven years ago. Dogs sniffed the scent of apples in my backpack, long gone, in two cities, ok. The backpack was searched, no problem, because the fruit was eaten long ago, just the scent remained.

My sister and I used to laugh that every single time we tried to board a flight, we seemed to wind up in the "extra search" line, even though we checked our luggage... we are both middle-aged moms....had to be just our number in the lottery of search per centage.

I'll take that, over lax security, any day. It can take a little while, but I carry as little as I can anywhere I go, and that probably makes it easier on the border guard when we cross to wherever we're going.

Will the increased security, anywhere, stop me from traveling? Absolutely not. Now that we're retired, we're so happy to go where we can, while we still can, we'll not stop till we can not go.

Sherry
PS Last summer, in Ontario, we had a wonderful time. Thank you to our friends north of the border for great parks, beautiful scenery, and a warm welcome from everyone we met.

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
1984 after crossing into Canada at Buffalo and visiting Niagra Falls and spending the night, the US customs people searched us. There is the wife, four kids and a dog. Each person has two suit cases and a carry-on bag. Every suit case has a copy of my orders to Germany in it and is stuffed to the max because it will take six weeks to three months for our household goods to arrive. After an hour and a half with everything out of the van, on the ground, all containers opened; a supervisor comes over. Takes one look at the orders I show him and he says "we are done here". Then they wanted us to move so we wouldn't be blocking one of their precious search spots.

I appreciate what they do and have to put up with, but some of us should be able to get a "good guy" card or something.
Curtis:

There is a "good guy" card. It is called [b]Nexus. You can find more information at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_...ler/nexus_prog/.

A Nexus card last 5 years, costs $50. In some entry points into Canada or US, such as the Peace Arch crossing at Blaine WA, there are electronic sensors that automatically pick up your information from a special card. Crossing time is usually a couple of minutes because there is a separate lane. If you are crossing the border frequently it is the only way to go.

My wife and I have had Nexus cards for several months and frequently are travelling between USA and Canada because our son lives and works in Seattle, and because we enjoy going on holiday in Washington and Oregon.

Even before we had our Nexus cards we rarely encountered any problems at either the Canadian or USA borders in more than 20 years of travel. The key is to understanding the rules for what can be brought into each country and making sure you are living within the rules, treating the customs agents with courtesy and answering questions in a forthright manner.

Brian