He Changed His Mind! - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
He Changed His Mind!

I have owned my 1980 17ft Boler for four years now. Prior to that I had 78 Trillium 15ft for three years.

No matter what, every year come springtime I take my FGRV in to have a professional safety check.

This year was no different but the cost of the needed fixes and safety checks came in at $1100. My partner was very upset as he paid the bill. He said no to the brake and plumbing work needed.

Even though I thought it reasonable as no work was needed for three previous years and factor in mice had gotten in and chewed through all the electical, $1100 is a lot of money.

All I heard was sell this "thing" and we will pool our resources and buy something new.

On top of the above he bought beautiful new tires with white rims for it.

I love my Boler and was very disheartened hearing this comment.

I've been staying in my Boler for about six weeks now, in Northern Ontario. Steve joined me for the past two weeks and after one week admitted it was a nice trailer.

By week two he was talking about getting the
necessary repairs done! I put a board over the stove/oven when I need counter space and he was not impressed. He is going to build something proper for the job!

My tow vehicle is 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with a factory tow package, a class 3 trailer hitch and an electic brake system.

Steve admitted it was the perfect RV for my van.

So yahoo! We have a convert.!

BTW my water tank has a slow leak. Any ideas how to fix it?

Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
What got most of my attention in your informative post was: "He said no to the brake and plumbing work needed".

I would hope that the safety related work got done first, not last. What's the alleged issue with the brakes.... We Worry.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Nobody is a born "Mr. Fixit", but people can rise to the occasion and keep learning as they go. Maybe you are on the right track.

A leak in the water tank? The fix depends on where, what kind it is. You have to dry the whole area carefully, fill it, rock the camper to slosh it around and keep looking for the exact spot. Usually it is some of the connections, the top lid, the filler connection - some ideas. Yes, rock the camper - why not!
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Fixing a water leak may be as simple as taking apart the connection and reassembling it with some fresh teflon tape. A hole in the tank might be fixable with some plumber's epoxy putty. But first you must find the leak, of course.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote