Headed to visit Parkliner - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #113

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
wareagle,
(Your Three batteries total wired in parallel), do you use the stock converter that came from the factory to charge these or an aftermarket one? In general, when the battery bank is low, how long to charge them back up? Thanks.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #114

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Keith - Yes, our EggCamper is all electric, and at this point we're happy that way. I should add that the original owner upped the on-board electrical capacity considerably for boondocking by adding two more deep cycle batteries (three batteries total wired in parallel) powering a 1000W AC inverter (mounted over the sink) in order for them to run a couple medical devices through the night. So we have plenty of on-board auxilliary battery power. As for no propane, My wife and I both grew up in cold climates and enjoy cooler weather, and now we're in Alabama, so we're more worried about keeping our A/C running to stay cool than we are worried about staying warm. Although we haven't used it yet, the little built-in heater acts like it will put out a ton of heat, and I've heard others say a little ceramic heater with a fan will keep a small egg toasty warm. So we're more likely to just throw on a jacket and another blanket on the bed or just stay home if the weather is predicted to get really cold. As for eating, as long as we have the little frig plus a good ice chest and the microwave, we're good for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, we'd prefer to grill outside if the weather is nice or fall back on the microwave and eat a light dinner if not. Again, if the weather looks like it's going to keep us inside the camper, we'll just stay home and wait for better weather. So at least for now, we're perfectly happy not having to mess with propane - inside or outside the camper. Dale
Yea, we had a pop up and never cooked inside the only time we used the gas was to head the shower so that can be done on electric. We always cooked on a portable grill outside or ate something like PPJ anyway. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #115

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I was in a Snoozy that they had upgraded the AC to, I believe, a 12,000 btu wall unit. I was surprised and pleased with its low sound volume. It seemed much quieter than the 5,000 btu wall AC in my KZ.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #116

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I thought I wouldn't be cooking inside either and low and behold I've made many tasty meals inside lol. I guess anything too greasy I will cook outside on my rocket stove.

I don't regret buying a generator...for the maybe 5 notes this summer that I used it to sleep. Iget aabout 9 hours on 1.6 gallons of gas well worth it. During the day I don't mind the heat and humidity but want it comfortable to sleep. The 5000 but in the ParkLiner doesn't make it an icebox....but takes away the humidity to make it comfortable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #117

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
We are looking for exactly the same things Flharleycop. We want the side dinett so we can leave the bed made. We also want propane because on a rainy day or if you don't feel like starting a fire outside we can cook inside.
We also want a minimum full size bed. When we're out hiking or bike riding we want to come home and get a full nights rest. We don't want to take turns sleeping on our side or sleep head to feet. I know that Scamp has now improved their 13 ft to include a full size bed in the fiberglass or standard interior. I'm just waiting for them to do the same to the 16 ft.
We looked at the Casita Liberty but we don't like the idea of having to squat around the table when getting out of bed. We can take the table down but if one of us get up early and puts it up we run into the problem of squatting around the bed. We could turn it into twin beds but we would end up with 20 inch beds.
48 inch beds were ok 30 years ago but things change. If you look at the new kids on the block they all have big beds. I just don't understand why Casita and Scamp haven't caught on. I have yet to talk to someone that says they wish they made them with smaller beds. We want to go to a smaller TV and trailer.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #118

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
wareagle,
(Your Three batteries total wired in parallel), do you use the stock converter that came from the factory to charge these or an aftermarket one? In general, when the battery bank is low, how long to charge them back up? Thanks.
Ken, there is no stock DC to AC inverter on our EggCamper. Ours was added aftermarket by the original owner. However, there is a stock AC to DC battery charger located under the false floor of the closet for charging the deep cycle battery(ies) when you're plugged into 110V shore power. But back to your question, we don't know because we haven't tested the system yet. As I mentioned, the original owner added the two additional deep cycle batteries in parallel along with the primary batter and the 1000W DC to AC inverter connected by dedicated boat grade 4 gauge tinned electrical leads (see attached photos) primarily to power a couple needed medical apparatuses through the night when boondocking. He pulled with a trailer-prepped Hyundai Santa Fe (4 cylinder!) which I believe he said had a 130 amp alternator. They used the EggCamper more like a travel trailer - drive a few hours, sightseeing, drive a few more hours, stop for the night, then on the road again the next day. He said the 2-4 hour stretches of driving through the day was enough for the Sante Fe's alternator to fully charge the batteries for the evening. Interestingly, they also used the DC to AC inverter to power a crockpot in the trailer while they were driving. His wife would put whatever she wanted to cook in the crockpot, set the crockpot down inside the sink, plug it into the inverter and turn it on just as they were hitting the road. Once they got going, the Sante Fe's alternator basically powered the inverter and crockpot. When they stopped, they'd have a hot meal ready to eat in the crockpot, and the bank of batteries would still be fully charged to take them through the night. Again, we haven't tested it out yet, but that's what they told us, and I have no reason to doubt them. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03686.jpg   DSC03681.jpg  

Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #119

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Ken, I should have mentioned in the top photo of the previous post - that's an Ultra-Fab electric tongue jack the original owner also installed to help lift the extra weight of the batteries on the tongue. Since we don't really need a third battery for now, I removed the blue top battery to lighten the tongue weight, but even with all three batteries on board, our 2002 Highlander with towing package holds up just fine to the additional tongue weight. Also, I may have misunderstood your original question a bit, but yes, the factory on-board battery charger does just fine charging all three batteries connected in parallel from shore power - according to the original owner. Dale
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #120

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
We are looking for exactly the same things Flharleycop. We want the side dinett so we can leave the bed made. We also want propane because on a rainy day or if you don't feel like starting a fire outside we can cook inside.
We also want a minimum full size bed. When we're out hiking or bike riding we want to come home and get a full nights rest. We don't want to take turns sleeping on our side or sleep head to feet. I know that Scamp has now improved their 13 ft to include a full size bed in the fiberglass or standard interior. I'm just waiting for them to do the same to the 16 ft.
We looked at the Casita Liberty but we don't like the idea of having to squat around the table when getting out of bed. We can take the table down but if one of us get up early and puts it up we run into the problem of squatting around the bed. We could turn it into twin beds but we would end up with 20 inch beds.
48 inch beds were ok 30 years ago but things change. If you look at the new kids on the block they all have big beds. I just don't understand why Casita and Scamp haven't caught on. I have yet to talk to someone that says they wish they made them with smaller beds. We want to go to a smaller TV and trailer.
Look at the Scamp 16 with the wood package, the bed is larger than the standard and bigger than the Casita. Its not a full queen like the LS, PL or Escape but its larger. When I visited Scamp the sales guy had me sit in one, it was nice and the bed was larger I just donít know if you can find it in the pamphlet yet and the wood is a bit heavier and more costly.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #121

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Ken, there is no stock DC to AC inverter on our EggCamper. Ours was added aftermarket by the original owner. However, there is a stock AC to DC battery charger located under the false floor of the closet for charging the deep cycle battery(ies) when you're plugged into 110V shore power. But back to your question, we don't know because we haven't tested the system yet. As I mentioned, the original owner added the two additional deep cycle batteries in parallel along with the primary batter and the 1000W DC to AC inverter connected by dedicated boat grade 4 gauge tinned electrical leads (see attached photos) primarily to power a couple needed medical apparatuses through the night when boondocking. He pulled with a trailer-prepped Hyundai Santa Fe (4 cylinder!) which I believe he said had a 130 amp alternator. They used the EggCamper more like a travel trailer - drive a few hours, sightseeing, drive a few more hours, stop for the night, then on the road again the next day. He said the 2-4 hour stretches of driving through the day was enough for the Sante Fe's alternator to fully charge the batteries for the evening. Interestingly, they also used the DC to AC inverter to power a crockpot in the trailer while they were driving. His wife would put whatever she wanted to cook in the crockpot, set the crockpot down inside the sink, plug it into the inverter and turn it on just as they were hitting the road. Once they got going, the Sante Fe's alternator basically powered the inverter and crockpot. When they stopped, they'd have a hot meal ready to eat in the crockpot, and the bank of batteries would still be fully charged to take them through the night. Again, we haven't tested it out yet, but that's what they told us, and I have no reason to doubt them. Dale
WOW sounds like the guy was an electrical engineer, I am still getting the hang or red + black - .
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #122

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
Look at the Scamp 16 with the wood package, the bed is larger than the standard and bigger than the Casita. Its not a full queen like the LS, PL or Escape but its larger. When I visited Scamp the sales guy had me sit in one, it was nice and the bed was larger I just don’t know if you can find it in the pamphlet yet and the wood is a bit heavier and more costly.
I looked at the the wood package and the full size bed but as you mentioned about the cost increase and the weight increase. For the price and the weight I can get a Casita 17. Thank you so much for your suggestion. We're still looking.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #123

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I like the Casita 17 but the wood interior of the Deluxe Scamp's is very attractive as well the Scamp is decidely lighter than a Casita 17. For some reason Casita's are particularly nose heavy.

Why Scamp hasn't migrated the wider bed to the standard Scamp is beyond me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #124

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I like the Casita 17 ... For some reason Casita's are particularly nose heavy.
Only the 17' is unusually nose heavy; other Casitas have more typical weight distribution. The 17' has the proportions of a 16' with the extra foot added all ahead of the axle, leaving the axle much further behind the middle than usual. This axle-rearward placement puts more of the trailer weight on the tongue.

Parkliner proportions are more like those typical of North American travel trailers than the Casita 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #125

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Brian,

I agree that the Casita 17 has it's axle too far rearward though we would own one if my wife's logic hadn't prevailed. Though it was in great condition and a really good deal, we would have had to buy a larger tow vehicle.

It seems to me that Casitas are generally heavy, at least compared to Scamps, and even the Casita 13s, at least in the Trailer Weights table, have high tongue weights. (I do realize that some of this is owner loading.)

As to Subaru and W/D, I recently 'heard' from an Escape owner that Escape installed a W/D hitch on his Subaru Forester.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #126

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I heard the 2014 casitas have the ac that sounds like a rocket, also.

Tags
parkliner