Heading south; suggestions? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Barrie
Check out Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Homepage travel info on compressed gas. They ask when pay your toll if your tanks are turnred off. The other non-toll tunnels in the area have a pull off prior to the tunnel. They also ask the same question. When I winter camp in the mountains I usually carry a couple of propane tanks in the back of my pick-up, I don,t think that would be allowed in the tunnels.
Eddie

Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #16

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Barrie
Check out Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Homepage travel info on compressed gas. They ask when pay your toll if your tanks are turnred off. The other non-toll tunnels in the area have a pull off prior to the tunnel. They also ask the same question. When I winter camp in the mountains I usually carry a couple of propane tanks in the back of my pick-up, I don,t think that would be allowed in the tunnels.
Eddie
Thanks Eddie,
I checked the web site and it refers to 'non permanently installed' and properly secured. I think both of my tanks would meet their requirements, They also allow 2 maximum. I will certainly put this route on my to-do list for this trip or next spring.
Barrie

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Barrie,

From the Scranton area, or just south of it, you can take 309 part of the way if you want to stay off the PA Turnpike. You will be going up and down mountains and some parts of the road are rough though.

Art
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hi Barrie. We make the trip from VT to the outerbanks in N.C. at least once a year. We started going through Pa. a few years back. I go from VT. through N.Y. via I87- thruway- I88. Just north of Pa. We pick up I81 and get on I476 (Pa tpk) via Rt115. I476 leads to I95. You'll think you are in Jersey but it doesn't last long. Instead of Rt13 I like to go to Delaware Rt1. It's $6 tolls but bypasses more traffic lights than you can count. This time of year there are no public camp grounds open until you get to Delaware. In Delaware Lums Pond, Killen Pond and Trap Pond state parks are still open and have nice facilities. Just south of Dover you will get on Rt 13. No where near as busy as in the northern part of the state. In Maryland you can bypass Salisbury but keep alert or your will end up on Rt50. Once you are into Va. its a very nice drive to the Bridge-Tunnel. Two must stops for us are Tammy and Johnny's restaurant in Melfa,Va. for some exceptionally good fried chicken and The Eastern Shore National Wildlife Refuge just before the Bridge-Tunnel. The Bridge-Tunnel is the fastest 20 miles you will ever travel. Have fun, Raz