Heartbroken - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
it was daylight still when I searched. Its light like a sail..probaly some cow is using it as a nice bed liner now.

I can make lemonaid out of it, I guess. I need to mount a mast of some sort for my Jack Antenna and my cell booster antenna. The lower part of the remaining arm is still firmly there. I can fashion something to slide onto it and then it can stow low for travel.

I have to get better window coverings for that window now tho. I dropped the guard at night for light filtration and privacy, with only some light curtains inside. I was rudely awakened this morning by a giant flaming orb in the sky.

Oddly enough, the stuff you EXPECT to go wrong on a first tug did not happen. Everything stayed stowed where I put it in the cupboards and on the floor, nothing broke and it was an easy load out when I got to camp. The fridge lit the first time, my temporary heating (Buddy Heater) worked great in 35 degree temps and the ll new Led Lighting I installed throughout the entire coach is working well. (It seemed no different from just the nite before last when they were running off the convertor. Just like "home"

Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #16

West Coast USA
Registry
The damage

not pretty. Lots of non leveling Dicor will do the trick temporarily, then some glass work. Its too cold to glass now, and in a campground.. without a good ladder.. not easy!

I need to get a decorative strip of some sort to cover up the damage after its been sealed. Maybe an aluminum flat bit, a couple inches wide. Could paint a decoration on it or something.

Doggy in the window not for sale. The one in Jail could be for the right price
Attached Thumbnails
rgdamage60264.jpg   rgdamage2.jpg  

rgdamage3.jpg   rgdamage4.jpg  

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #17

Name: pat
Trailer: uhaul 13
Hunterdon County, NJ
gina, if you absolutely cannot find a replacement, any sign shop should be able to make you a blank aluminum sign with a 1x1" aluminum tubing frame in any size you need. Riveted to a nice new piano hinge and some new hydraulic lifts, you should be good as new.....either way, I suggest better tie downs or latches than you had on there before.......good luck!! Pat
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #18

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Sorry for the trouble you're having. That stub looks identical to the one on ours, so at least part of the setup is Hehr stuff.

Happy to hear the rest of it is going OK.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Unless there was a lot of wind (in addition to that caused by your forward speed), I just don't think it will have wandered too far away. It will likely have blown UP and then, having spent its momentum, had an aerodynamic stall and came wafting back down in much the same fashion as a falling leaf.

It does not have a lot of mass and it has little aerodynamic lift properties, so - unless a lotta wind took it way to one side or t'other when it abandoned ship last night - it actually ain't all THAT far way from where you hear it it pop off!

However - it could be as much as 100 feet or so off the edge of the highway, on either side!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #20

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Be thankful. A couple of years ago here in Virginia the top of a BarBQ that was in the back of a pickup flew off and caused a multiple accident that killed several people.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #21

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I took a 1" thick ice sheet off the top of a motor home, on edge into my windshield at 70mph. Not fun.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #22

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
How awful after you did all that work to make sure it was in good towable condition So glad that no one was hurt.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
I'll start the bidding on the incarcerated beagle at $20.
Can he pick locks also?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Be thankful. A couple of years ago here in Virginia the top of a BarBQ that was in the back of a pickup flew off and caused a multiple accident that killed several people.
The daughter of a buddy was injured when a Coleman Cooler came adrift off the top of a mo-home, and the idiot kid driving the car she was in swerved to miss it and rolled the car. 2 teenagers killed, 3 injured, including my buddy's daughter. The moho just kept on trucking, didn't stop. I had forgotten all about that until Darwin posted to the thread - must have been about 15 years ago, just outside of Bellingham, Wa.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I'll start the bidding on the incarcerated beagle at $20.
Can he pick locks also?

I suspect that the jailbird is actually Gina's cat.
Yes, cats can pick locks (both of mine can, at any rate!)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I'm sorry Gina, that truly sucks. I've been in love with that trailer since the pics of it were first posted, so I can imagine how you feel.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #27

West Coast USA
Registry
Scampbum, yes I host. National Forests in the NW, Forest Service.

Dave.. the cat is very well trained and purrfect. That is a Dog in the jail. He is a stinker.

$20? hmnnn.. tempting.

I did go back this morning. What I found was a comedy of bad timing. Several miles of very clean siding and median and big orange loaded Cal Trans trash bags every 1/2 mile or so. I had to pick the night before freeway litter patrol was scheduled to clean sweep. I stopped at a few bags that looked like they were sitting on top of a big flat thing..all turned out to be cardboard, or plywood.

If it was there, it was busted to bits inside one or more of those bags, or the crew truck carried it away.

Time to quit crying and fix the problem at hand....see below..
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #28

West Coast USA
Registry
Went to Home Depot to cruise the "Long Flatish Thingy" sections to see if I could come up with something tht didn't look too dorky. I found this stuff, an extruded aluminum Drip Cap Door Sweep that is 1 1/2" high by 3' long. Good shape and look, + I didn't need to cut anything. I needed exactly 6' of whatever thingy I decided on. I bought 2 and tossed the pictured rubber sweep, not needing that part. They were 7 bones each.

It has a flat mount, yet is a little bendable, and the extrusion has a little "Foot" in it where the rubber sweep slides into. It sits on the coach perfectly and covers all the holes left by the missing rivets.
Attached Images