Hello from an *old* n00b - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Hi all..... just want to check in here, as I've turned into quite a "lurker" since discovering this COOL site just a couple of days ago. Previously had been contemplating a tear drop... (as my mother once told me that I was "conceived" in a teardrop on the opening day of trout season on the banks of Rock Creek up near Tom's Place, CA.... it seemed like I should give due consideration...) but seriously, I think an "egg" would be much more suitable for me..... as I do like to stand up.... and also have a porta potty handy! (and not have to go outside to make a cup of coffee!)
I recently sold my big ol' Dodge diesel and giant cabover rig.. like many, I am searching for the "perfect" setup. The 13' Scamp/Burro/Tillium (or similar) looks like a great way to go. As my "tug" is an '05 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, I think one of these tiny trailers would be the cat's meow. The gas mileage on the Jeep is a joke to begin with.... so certainly that isn't an issue, but no matter how small the trailer I want to have electric brakes. Do any of these 13' trailers have them? Can they be added without too much effort?
Anyway, I'll keep searching through all of the info on this great site..... Just wanted to say "Hello!"
Special note to Gina D.: I was raised up in Big Bear Lake, Ca.... My parents moved up there in 1945 when I was 3 years old. They built Boulder Bay Camp (I think only the store is there now.... ).

Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Jack,

Boulder Bay still has a camp, tho it is NOT the cats meow..I bet it isn't what your parents left behind!

Yes, you can get them with brakes. My 13 foot Burro has them. You can add them as well, but it's easier to get a new axle with them on it. I understand there is not much cost difference.

My 13 is for sale, but it is about as far away from Alaska on the west coast as you can get!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #3

Oregon
Hi Gina,

Thanks for your reply!

I actually passed through Big Bear back in '02 ..... yep, it wasn't like it used to be! (but then nothing ever is!) .... actually brought tears to my eyes, seeing Boulder Bay Camp as it is now..... condos where the cabins used to be ..the little trailer park gone... etc. But on the upside, the lake level is now much higher than it was in the old days!

Your 13 footer looks great..... and I would probably buy it in a heartbeat... but yes, it is a bit far away. Too bad you can't store it for about 6 months, as I might get down that way come summer. My cousin lives in Fountain Valley and I tend to do a road trip down there every couple of years..... and am due for one this summer! (..he had a cabin up in Crestline..... but sold it several years ago)

Anyway, blah blah.....
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I recently sold my big ol' Dodge diesel and giant cabover rig.. like many, I am searching for the "perfect" setup. The 13' Scamp/Burro/Tillium (or similar) looks like a great way to go.
Hi Jack,
I sold my F-250 4X4 with a big self contained camper a little over a year ago. I now have a 13' Scamp with brakes that I pull with a Toyota Tacoma PU.
Sometimes I miss the way my big Ford drove but then I look at the MPG I now get and I get over missing my big gas guzzler.
I love the Scamp. but almost any of the Eggs will be great.
I have one grandson left that does not have his driver license yet or a girl friend. If I can talk him into going with me I plan on coming up to your part of the country next summer.

Welcome and hope you find just the right Egg,
John
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Hi Jack,

Welcome to the neatest forum I've ever found...it's a HUGE braintrust, without a ego!

This may be strange, coming from a Scamp Owner, but don't rule out a teardrop yet. You'll find a link to plans of one you can stand up in down below...

I don't know if you are into homebuilding, but if you where thinking about teardrops, you may consider to "roll your own". I sure was, until I fell into a deal on a old Scamp 13' to fix up. In my research, I too was really thinking about a teardrop. You can build one a lot cheaper than buying most anything. But, as fate would have it, things turned out otherwise.

I'm the first to admit, I LOVE my Scamp, if you can find a sweetheart deal on any FG trailer, GET IT! BUT, if you find a FG Trailer with a For Sale sign, you'll more likely find a hefty price tag too. I hope you can find a basketcase for next to nothing and restore it, you WILL get the most enjoyment from something you bring back into service, and can count on it to keep it's value.

IMHO, the high prices fiberglass trailers fetch are due to high gas prices, and that fiberglass won't rot, wood will. The resale value on fiberglass trailers stays much higher than a stick-built trailer because of it's durability.

Also IMHO, I think you'll NEVER find a lower price on the internet than anything you'll find in the local paper or around your neighborhood, keep an eye out in your travels.

Anyway, keep hunting and keep surfing the net for both 'glass AND Teardrops. I found in my surfin' a few great websites and a whole library of great building plans for a slew of teardrop trailers. You may find them of intrest.

Great place for parts...
http://www.teardroptrailers.net/parts/latch/latch.htm

Great Teardrop Forum, next to fiberglassrv.com, it's the best I've found...
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

As promised, here are plans for a 10' foot teardrop you can stand up and cook in ( I was SERIOUSLY planning to build this until I found my Scamp) Materal Cost Estimated $1k. It fits a trailer frame sold by Northern Freight...
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...rop/tear50.htm

Welcome, and Good Luck!
ConwayBob
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #6

Oregon
Thanks for the replies...

John - Actually my Dodge got much better mileage than the Jeep.... but not nearly as much fun!

Bob - Thanks for the links. Actually I'm a member (AlaskaJak) over at T&TTT. To be honest, I'm not really in the "building" mode at this point in my life..... just remodeling my house is enough of a project! (maybe even too much of a task, lol, as I seem to be falling behind!)

Jack
Old 02-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Jack,
Welcome to the forum.
It's somewhat gratifying to know that we aren't the only ones struggling with a home remodel. When younger, I wasn't intimidated with any phase of home remodeling but now that age has crept up there are things I simply don't want to tackle. Drywall has become the latest hang up. Hopefully we have located someone who can accomplish hanging the 120+ sheets and do a reasonable job of finish work.
The doggone house is getting in the way of camping. After sleeping in our Casita for 11 months, you'd think we'd be tired of it, but in reality we're even more anxious to get the tires rolling so we can get back to attending rallies, visiting friends and relatives, and exploring our wonderful country.
The good Lord willing and our health holding up, the remodeling frustrations will eventually come to an end and we will once again be able to get on the road.
Keep us posted on progress and post often,
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #8

Oregon
Hi Kurt,

Ahhhh yes, the wonders of home ownership! (I'll have to take a nap just thinking of 120+ sheets of drywall!)
It appears that I'll need to have my roof replaced this summer. Naturally all of the downstairs carpet as well.... seems like it never ends!
Then to top everything off... I just turned 65 last week, so I missed the "senior exemption" deadline (Jan 15) for this years property taxes, which of course have increased (again) this year!
I am looking forward to selling this place in the not too distant future. Hoping to move down to lower America. After 40 years of fun and adventure in the great North, it's time for milder winters!

Jack

"Back in the day:"

Click image for larger version

Name:	me_twin_otter2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	6413
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Jack,
I retired 2 years ago. Last summer we took off for a month of traveling up the West coast to the Columbia River, then East to visit our son in Stevensville, Montana. Back over to the mouth of the Columbia & followed Hwy. 1 until we visited relatives in Sacramento, CA. After returning home in So. Calif. for 3 days, we hit the road again for the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains around Bishop, Calif., not very far from Tom's Place. Our appetites were whet and not nearly satisfied! Some of the sights were absolutely awe inspiring.
The planning stages for the house were already in the mill, and some major changes happened along the way, so construction didn't actually start until March, '06 while we were travelling. We started with a 650 sq. ft. mtn. cabin and added another 950 sq. ft., including an additional bathroom and laundry area. New roofing on all except garage. Plumbing, wiring, & insulation done, exterior all painted. Drywall, interior painting and flooring have yet to be accomplished.
In hindsight, I wish the project could have been started 2 years earlier. Same old story...all it takes is time and money! Didn't have both until after retirement.
Our dream is to do a little chasing of the sun in the winter time and explore parts of the country we haven't seen during the rest of the time. The way things have been progressing though, it's good to know that the Lord is in control, because it sure looks like we aren't. We are just along for the ride wherever HE leads.
Looking forward to hearing about your progress both on the house and what kind of TT you eventually obtain,
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Hi Jack -
Welcome to the forum. I just retired out of Anchorage a couple of years ago and moved south when my wife took a transfer to Arkansas. It's a pretty drastic change and I am still deciding if I like it here or not. To escape the heat last summer, I went back to Alaska and took a job guiding salmon fishermen on the Anvik River. Anyway, I owned a couple fiberglass trailers while I lived up there and they were very handy for excursions around the state. The first was an old 16' Scamp I bought from a neighbor. It had a lot of hard miles on it and I continued with that tradition. My wife and I even pulled it up the Haul Road to Prudhoe once. We then bought a new Casita - I did an 8000 mile round trip to pick it up in Texas. If you want to look at a Casita, the company can provide you with some contacts in Anchorage who have bought trailers recently. Scamp may be able to do the same thing. Elemendorf Air Force Base has Casitas for rent in their recreation facility. If you know someone out there, maybe they can get you in for a look. I was very frustrated trying to find used fiberglass trailers in Alaska in the models I wanted. There just isn't very many of them up there. If you are determined to get a 13', that may be even tougher. I did see a 13' Casita parked at Trailer Craft in Anchorage once, so I know there is at least one in town.

Anyway, good luck with your search. I agree that this is a really cool forum. This enthusiastic group got me hooked on fiberglass trailers. If you aren't careful it could happen to you.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
Hi Jack -
Welcome to the forum. I just retired out of Anchorage a couple of years ago and moved south when my wife took a transfer to Arkansas. It's a pretty drastic change and I am still deciding if I like it here or not. To escape the heat last summer, I went back to Alaska and took a job guiding salmon fishermen on the Anvik River. Anyway, I owned a couple fiberglass trailers while I lived up there and they were very handy for excursions around the state. The first was an old 16' Scamp I bought from a neighbor. It had a lot of hard miles on it and I continued with that tradition. My wife and I even pulled it up the Haul Road to Prudhoe once. We then bought a new Casita - I did an 8000 mile round trip to pick it up in Texas. If you want to look at a Casita, the company can provide you with some contacts in Anchorage who have bought trailers recently. Scamp may be able to do the same thing. Elemendorf Air Force Base has Casitas for rent in their recreation facility. If you know someone out there, maybe they can get you in for a look. I was very frustrated trying to find used fiberglass trailers in Alaska in the models I wanted. There just isn't very many of them up there. If you are determined to get a 13', that may be even tougher. I did see a 13' Casita parked at Trailer Craft in Anchorage once, so I know there is at least one in town.

Anyway, good luck with your search. I agree that this is a really cool forum. This enthusiastic group got me hooked on fiberglass trailers. If you aren't careful it could happen to you.
Hello David,
Oddly enough, I've been doing some "research" on the Bull Shoals/Mt. Home areas of Arkansas. Property values appear to be more tolerable than the western states (where, of course, I'd rather live!) ..... but I honestly don't think I could deal with the horrible heat/humidity! I've done a couple of "across America" trips with my truck and camper in '03 and '04.... in the winter! A buddy and I rode motorcycles from Florida back to Alaska back in '02 during the summer.... WOW was it hot! (especially wearing a black helmet!) We were always happiest (except for the wind... and hail...) when riding through thunder storms.

As for finding a trailer up here it looks doubtful.... but who knows...am keeping my eyes open. I'm not really in the mood for a "project" and the sticker shock of the new ones is something else!
I'm not stuck on a 13' .... but pulling with a Jeep Wrangler (long wheelbase, rated at 3500# max) and not really needing a bathroom and all the stuff hanging underneath.... I would rather stay "small." But time will tell, as I've only recently fallen upon the concept of these tiny fiberglass cuties.

I used to fly mail into Anvik (and probably 50 other villages over the years) also flew a Beaver on floats (as well as doing some guiding) for one of the "high dollar" fishing lodges out of Dillingham .... those were fun days!

Take care, Jack
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
My 89 Scamp 16' was the very basic model without a bathroom or much other plumbing. It's weight would have been well within the tow capability of your Jeep. Those models may be as hard to find as a 13', though. I found mine parked in a neighbor's yard in Anchorage and just knocked on the door and asked if it might be for sale.

Depending on how far you are willing to drive, there are often Bolers and Trilliums for sale in Western Canada. The U-Haul Camper Trailer Web-Site has good links to some Canadian used RV sales.

Also, if you find a promising used trailer in the lower-48, you may be able to find someone on this forum who lives close and is willing to check it out for you.

Don't tell everybody about how good the real estate prices are in Arkansas! We don't want a land rush around here. I agree with you that the Mountain Home area would be one of the more attractive areas in the Ozarks. But for me, I still miss the wide-open spaces of the West. I expect that we will head that way again when our present family obligations change. Before Alaska, my career took us to Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. Have to admit, dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat.

Amazing that you know where Anvik is. The lodge I work for is sixty miles up the Anvik River from the village. I used to also spend a lot of time in Unalakleet and on the winter trail from there to Kaltag. I used to hire a guy out Dillingham named Rick Grant to fly my wife and I out to caribou hunting country. He has the shiniest Beaver on floats I ever saw. You probably know the guy.

Anyway keep looking for that perfect trailer, and keep checking with this site. You will find something sooner or later.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
The U-Haul Camper Trailer Web-Site has good links to some Canadian used RV sales.
We've got a bunch here as well. From the Helpful-Links page: RV Classified Web Sites

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
We've got a bunch here as well. From the Helpful-Links page: RV Classified Web Sites

Thanks Donna! (...one hand typing... pit bull on my lap .... )