Help- best fiberglass rv for a family of four? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Roberta
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Help- best fiberglass rv for a family of four?

We want buy our first fiberglass rv but am confused by the options. We have a son and daughter so we really need two beds for them and one for us. I thought the casita spirit 16' would be a good option...but am worried about the tightness of the bunk beds...our son is already 50 pds (he is way off the growth charts for height...and he is only 3yrs old...our daughter is 2yrs) and I understand the weight limit is 80 pds. We have a Chevy Trailblazer so I think it would handle a 16 footer okay. We don't have time to do a renovation so quality is important. Any thoughts?
bobbie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This link provides lot of information. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-24745.html

We are still quite happy with our Escape 17B. Our kids are 11 and 9. The front bunks of new trailers can handle 200 pounds, our 2006 can handle 120 pounds. The best part for us is the bunks are up front and a simple spring loaded curtain turns that area into their own room.

Best of luck and send me a private message with your telephone number if you want to talk about Escape trailers.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Roberta, welcome to FiberglassRV

"Best" is so very subjective. It starts with the weight your tow vehicle is capable of handling and kinda goes up from there. "Best" also includes buy budget and quality of used... if you're looking for a used trailer.

Even if there are lower bunk weight limits, that can be upgraded fairly easily with "permanent" legs on the top bunk.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
This link provides lot of information. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-24745.html

We are still quite happy with our Escape 17B. Our kids are 11 and 9. The front bunks of new trailers can handle 200 pounds, our 2006 can handle 120 pounds. The best part for us is the bunks are up front and a simple spring loaded curtain turns that area into their own room.

Best of luck and send me a private message with your telephone number if you want to talk about Escape trailers.
Thanks for the link...It was helpful. The Escape 17B would be perfect...but just too much for our budget. We will have to get something older.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Roberta, welcome to FiberglassRV

"Best" is so very subjective. It starts with the weight your tow vehicle is capable of handling and kinda goes up from there. "Best" also includes buy budget and quality of used... if you're looking for a used trailer.

Even if there are lower bunk weight limits, that can be upgraded fairly easily with "permanent" legs on the top bunk.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Yes budget is tight and a concern. Is it difficult to beef up the top bunk with stronger legs?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Some folks have done that, and their new supports will hold good size adults. The bunks are still pretty narrow, of course.

Casita has a custom option in their 16s and 17s of a set of bunks on the side, in place of the side dinette. They are not common but you could get lucky and find a used one sometime.

Someone recently posted a referral to a used Amerigo for about a grand. I believe they have a sofa running along the driver's side near the front. Might be a good project trailer to buy, remodel, and add an upper bunk with whatever materials you like (aluminum, steel, or wood 2x4s) overtop that sofa.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This is a budget question as much as anything.

For example, our Seattle son has a 1977 Scamp 13 with front bunks. It easily meets the sleeping requirement. The front bunk is easily adequate for a child.
/children.

We have a Scamp 16 with front bunks and though we've disabled the upper bunk I regularly lie on the bottom bunk and have actually been caught napping there.

Another interesting solution is a Scamp 19. For some reason I frequently see good deals on these and they can easily sleep four in comfort.

One thing we did before actually getting our Scamp was to attend a Fiberglass Rally as walk ins. People invited us into their rigs even before the "Shine and Show". At one of these rallies you can see a number of solutions.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote