Help! Camping in south Alabama? For one night? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Help! Camping in south Alabama? For one night?

We will be traveling south for thanksgiving next week. I'd like to find a place to stay one night on the road near Montgomery or Georgianna. It's about halfway for our trip and we will be leaving late would like to spend one night on the road in the trailer on our way to the Panhandle. Any ideas on where to stay near I-65? Thanks!
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Gunter Hill COE campground near Montgomery Al. This is where Green Eggs and Ham is held. Not sure if is open now, check it out.
Eddie
http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Deer Run RV PK south of Montgomery just off of HWY 231 near Troy, AL. Tel: 800-552-3036 or www.deerrunrvpark.com . I stop here going to and from Florida each year for the Scamp Camp in Sebring. Very nice park with pull through sites. Last year the rate was just under $30. Hope this helps.
DENNIS ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Help! Camping in south Alabama? For one night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS ARCHER View Post
Deer Run RV PK south of Montgomery just off of HWY 231 near Troy, AL. Tel: 800-552-3036 or www.deerrunrvpark.com . I stop here going to and from Florida each year for the Scamp Camp in Sebring. Very nice park with pull through sites. Last year the rate was just under $30. Hope this helps.

I've stopped there too. Not as rustic as a state park but clean bathrooms and very convenient to access. Plus, plenty of restaurants/stores a few miles away in Troy. I'm usually going the other way (from Florida) to visit family in the Huntsville area.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Tennessee
Curious if there's place just off I-65 for a late night pull over? We won't have much time. Really just need a place to crash for the night. ??

Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you check to see if there was a Wal-Mart or a Camping World along the way? If so, call and verify if they allow overnight parking first.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Curious if there's place just off I-65 for a late night pull over? We won't have much time. Really just need a place to crash for the night. ??

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post

Perhaps you should be more specific. Are you looking for "free?" There are Crackerbarrels and Walmarts all along I-65. Alabama, like other states has signs before each exit that indicate if camping facilities are available at the exit. This really would seem to be a non-issue. There are plenty of places to make a "quick" overnight. You won't have a problem finding one. It's not like there are only two or three places to stop in the whole state.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Tennessee
Thanks for your reply see CPW. This may sound crazy but I've actually never taking my camper on an overnight trip that direction.usually we just go to North Carolina and make the whole drive in one day. I didn't know Cracker Barrel offered free camping and just recently found out that Walmart did. this is good information because next summer I will be planning a long trip out west.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

Name: LAUVONE
Trailer: CASITA
Alabama
couple of places

There is both a Cracker Barrel and a WalMart at the first Greenville exit. Exit 130. Also a Shoney's and large parking lot across from Shoney's, all of these are within a few hundred yards of each other. to the right when you take the exit.

You could call ahead to see if over night parking is allowed. Would not hurt to call Greenville PD if you want to stay in the big (usually empty) parking lot.
Greenville is a small town and very friendly.
Places to eat include McD, Hardee's, Burger King, Cracker Barrel, Krystals, plus some I can't recall right now.
Hope this helps.

ALABAMALT
ALABAMALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALABAMALT View Post
There is both a Cracker Barrel and a WalMart at the first Greenville exit. Exit 130. Also a Shoney's and large parking lot across from Shoney's, all of these are within a few hundred yards of each other. to the right when you take the exit.

You could call ahead to see if over night parking is allowed. Would not hurt to call Greenville PD if you want to stay in the big (usually empty) parking lot.
Greenville is a small town and very friendly.
Places to eat include McD, Hardee's, Burger King, Cracker Barrel, Krystals, plus some I can't recall right now.
Hope this helps.

ALABAMALT
Good info thanks!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #13

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
I have found this site useful, didn't look to see if anytning is in your area. freecampsites.net
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #14

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Hey Tab,

The Montgomery Gunter Hill campground is a good ways out in the boonies from the Interstate. A really nice park, but not the kind of place you want to try to find in the dark if you've never been there before. If you want to spend the night closer to Montgomery than Greenville, there are a series of I-85 Exits just 10-12 miles North of Montgomery in the Prattville area:
Exit 179 = Shoneys, Bass Pro Shop
Exit 181 = WalMart just a few hundred yards East off the interstate; Cracker Barrel to the West
Warning! Heavy rush hour traffic on weekday mornings heading from Prattville South to Montgomery.

If you get a late start or lose time on the road and want to stop sooner, there's also a Camping World at Exit 234 just South of Birmingham = Calera/Shelby County Airport with a couple other Cracker Barrels in that general stretch of the Interstate, too (they're popular around here!).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

Tennessee
Thanks War Eagle!!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
For what it's worth, the Wal-Mart at I-65 Exit 181 is a nice, fairly new superstore with a big, well-lit parking lot, a McDonalds restaurant inside and a Zaxby's (or similar restaurant, I forget just what it is) adjoining the parking lot.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
rest areas are my stopover of choice

-
rest areas are my stopover of choice as they have facilities, food, and security for little cost.
they're a lot like the pit area of a race track, only swanky.
see the ad: Alabama Welcome Centers
but i have done the walmart gig when on the road too.
and burger king too.
not as quick a gettaway, but usable.
-

wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #18

Colorado
There is a really nice I-65 rest area about 40 miles North of Montgomery (Exit 213; Clanton) and another about 40 miles South of Montgomery (Exit 133; Greenville). Both get a lot of 18-wheeler traffic and stopovers, so they can be a bit noisy through the night back in the extended length vehicle parking area.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #19

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
There is a really nice I-65 rest area about 40 miles North of Montgomery (Exit 213; Clanton) and another about 40 miles South of Montgomery (Exit 133; Greenville). Both get a lot of 18-wheeler traffic and stopovers, so they can be a bit noisy through the night back in the extended length vehicle parking area.

Probably wouldn't get rousted, but I do not believe it is legal to overnight in Alabama rest areas, although I have seen 18 wheelers parked on some of the interstate highway on-ramps, presumably sleeping.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Alabama does not allow overnight parking at rest stops. There are prominent signs posted to that effect.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV