Help identifying this trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Help identifying this trailer

Hi everyone!

I've been around this forum for a few years now, but I'm now ready to buy my first trailer. Problem is : my wife insist that I find a trailer that would be original and unusual!

I've found an add of a fiberglass trailer that I've never seen before. In fact I haven't seen the trailer myself, since it's a 4h drive from home. But before getting down there to pick it up, I'm trying to find some informations about the model.

Anyone recognize it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
fb.jpg  
Rémi A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's a UNIK! Manufactured in Quebec, circa 1973-1978.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Better contact them and get there quick. they don't last long.

Donna knows all the trailers. Can't get it past her.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #4

Wow thanks!

The current owner knows almost nothing about this trailer.... Just been sitting in his yard for a few years. Will try to find at least the weight of it!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

The only UNIK, of this size, that I have any info on would be David & Terry's. They painted in blue. IF you check out the registry you'll see a couple of interior shots: David & Terry's Trailer :: NEMO, the UNIK
Old 05-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Wow, that's really UNIK .
I've only seen one UNIK, at the Maritime Vintage rally a few years ago, and it didn't look anything like that.

I recommend not buying it. You'd be continuously occupied showing it to curious folks (like me).

Oh, and if you are lucky enough to get it, pictures PLEASE!!!

Walt
Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
What kind of monster would castrate a trailer! And how would you even do that. Oh! UNIK like in Unique. Never mind.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
And how would you even do that. Oh! UNIK like in Unique. Never mind.

If you look closely, there are no propane tanks on the front.
R U any relation to Emily Litella?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I've only seen one UNIK, at the Maritime Vintage rally a few years ago, and it didn't look anything like that.

Didn't they make a 13' - rounded like a boler with something unique about the shape like a projection at the taillights or eyebrow or ???
Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Didn't they make a 13' - rounded like a boler with something unique about the shape like a projection at the taillights or eyebrow or ???
Yes they did: Fiberglass RV - UNIK Trailers
Old 05-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Roy
There was a 13 UNIK at the Niagara rally at least two years. It was owned by a couple who bought it out of a farm field when they saw it taking the “long” way home one day. She said they gave $300 for it. They lived near Cobbleskill , New York. It was usable but needed some attention. He was pulling it with a full sized Dodge pickup he’d borrowed from a friend, dark green, about a 2000 vintage.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #12

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes. I think that's the model I saw in New Brunswick.

Walt
Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #13

Unik also made stick built trailers of various lengths, including truck campers and Class B motorhomes (maybe Class C too, not sure). They were in St-Jerôme, QC, about 30 min north of Montreal.
They are rare trailers, especially the FG ones. I see stickies come up occasionally in the classifieds.
Restoring a 17' like this is a nice project. I've seen a few pictures of them in various french language Facebook fiberglass/vintage groups.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #14

Nice input from everyone, thanks!

Since I'm from Quebec myself, for the last 2 days, I've tried to find some informations about the UNIK manufacture.... But they were only selling localy so it's hard to find anything on internet. I might have to go to a library and search in things called... books!

I haven't got the chance to speak to the seller yet. One thing is sure, this would be a complete restoration project, and since I'm basicly new at this, so still hesitating.

Here are some more pictures from the ad. He's asking 1900 $CAD (which is about 1500$ US), but negotiable. Seems like the previous owner used it like a hunting shack or something like that..... No more walls inside, propane tanks are off, don't know if there's anything left from the plumbing..... Oh, and yeah, there's the massive fireplace, for which they made a hole in the side of the fiberglass for the chimney... That's my main concern, because I don't know how to work fiberglass at all. I'm good with plumbing and electrical stuff, but fiberglass?

On a scale of 10, how hard do you think it would be to fix the chimney hole?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #15

Remi
Are you on Facebook?
I don't want to turn you away from the FGRV website - it remains the best resource on the web regarding FG trailers - but on FB I'm pretty sure you'll be able to contact Quebec owners of Unik trailer like yours via some FB groups, I've seen pictures and posts from owners.

I'm not sure how the Unix 17' is constructed, I would think it is similar to my Trillium 5500. At least, from pictures I've seen, they seem to share similar floor plans with mine, with the galley, toilet/shower and beds in the same layout.

The trailer you're looking at seems almost entirely gutted from it original cabinets. It all comes down to what you're planning to do with it, how much you want to invest (in time and money), how much you can do yourself (carpentry, plumbing, 12V & 120V electrical, maybe welding, finition, etc).
This is a trailer with a great potential, but I wouldn't pay more than the 1500 or 1900 the seller asks.
Restoring my own 5500 (which was far from a large project like this Unik) has cost me around $6000 so far, plus the purchase cost.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the chimney hole, no big deal especially if the trailer will be painted afterwards. FG is not hard to work with.
I believe there's a buyers checklist somewhere on this site you can refer to as to what to check, but look at the FG shell for damage, and the frame for rust. Make sure you don't miss windows as they can be hard to source. Many of the parts you can buy (like appliances) or or you'll have to fabricate yourself.

After going through my own trailer renovation 2 years ago and then sister-in-law's Trillium 1300 last year, I said I was done renovating trailers, but when I see a project like this I feel like jumping on it to park it in my backyard and working on it as a long term projet.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture d’écran 2019-05-15 à 11.27.19.jpg   Capture d’écran 2019-05-15 à 11.27.39.jpg  

Capture d’écran 2019-05-15 à 11.27.51.jpg  
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #16

SW Virginia
Thanks for the pics. I've never seen that model and it's a real beauty.

Walt
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Roy
There was a 13 UNIK at the Niagara rally at least two years.
Thanks Dave,
I think that would be the 2nd 13' Unik I've seen then. The other one might have been in the Atlantic region many years ago. After a while the one's I've seen in person and the ones I've seen online all seem to blur.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Chimney hole is a two or three. There is a long thread on fiberglass repair.

You will need to install vertical walls to support the roof. Lots of interior work, really the fiberglass repair is minor compared to the rest.

If you have a covered/enclosed workspace, I'd be all over this one. If it were in my area, I'd already have it. But its a big project, so if you are looking for something you can use to camp this year, forget it. Raise your budget by a factor of 6 to 8, and buy something ready to camp.

But this is a super cool trailer, at a very reasonable cost. Heck, you could probably sell that wood stuff and recoup a third of the price!

Projects are best suited for someone with the time/tools/aptitude/patience/resources ($$) and covered workspace to do the work themselves. IF you have to pay someone to do the work, forget it. You will be way over budget. Figure there are always going to be surprises, none of them good, along the way.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #19

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémi A. View Post
On a scale of 10, how hard do you think it would be to fix the chimney hole?
Since you are not familiar with fiberglass, but handy with other things, I'd say maybe a 6 or 7. There's a bit of a learning curve to it but once you figure it out, it isn't TOO difficult. Luckily the hole doesn't look too big. Not like patching a whole window at least.

Like mentioned before, depends on how much time/money you want to invest into this project. Could be a good way to build it out the way you want. There's some good info on this site for renovations and starting from scratch projects.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
SD
Smile how hard do you think it would be to fix the chimney hole?

What do you do make it look like it was never there? But you could Stainless Steel cover for it and put your own Logo like "out in the woods" I'm know you can come up with something just to your liking. Good luck and hope you get it for a good price.
RCF13 is offline   Reply With Quote