Help in Missoula - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Donna D, yes it is sad how someone you have raised since she was in diapers can make wrong choices when choosing friends and just throw away everyone who ever cared about them. And yes you are correct it has become a civil matter and the police wont touch it. I am wondering if I can hire an attorney and sue her for the cost to retrieve the (stolen) car and any damages to the car and any towing or impound fees that may come from it being abandoned?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yes you can sue her for "damages." Whatever State you're in, has Small Claims Court too where you can plead your case before a judge. In Oregon, no lawyers allowed and claims can be made for up to $7,500. But, then getting the money is up to you. Often folks need to get a collection agency involved, wages can be attached, etc. Now... I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, so be sure to check out everything to your best advantage.

There's a song about... always hurting the ones you love....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes you can sue her for "damages." Whatever State you're in, has Small Claims Court too where you can plead your case before a judge. In Oregon, no lawyers allowed and claims can be made for up to $7,500. But, then getting the money is up to you. Often folks need to get a collection agency involved, wages can be attached, etc. Now... I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, so be sure to check out everything to your best advantage.

There's a song about... always hurting the ones you love....
Yep, it all revolves around the mighty $, I can't really afford the Attorney and she can't afford to pay the judgement when she loses. I need to see about the Small Claims Court deal, she took the car from Indiana to Oregon when she was told not to and then to Missoula where she has now abandoned it and caught the Greyhound to Dallas, Tx to meet up with her next boyfriend.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
For anyone thinking of being in the same situation or for anyone's peace of mind get "LoJack" so the car can be tracked.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Greg, if she won't have money to pay, a judgment against her won't get you the money. You might get her wages garnished (if she had a job!) or get a lien on some titled property (if she owned any!), but otherwise it might be kind of pointless. Unfortunately.

You aren't the only one with an ungrateful kid. It can happen to the best of parents. I have a friend who would give you the shirt off his back. His daughter was rebellious as all get out, though. She moved out at age 18, and last spring at 19 she got pregnant and then she (finally) got a job and needed a car to get to work. So he agreed to help her by buying her a car if she would pay him $200 every month. Took her to the Ford dealer and handed her the keys to a brand new Focus.

The first month she was supposed to come by the house by 10:00 Sat. am with the payment. Close to noon she hadn't shown up so he called, and she was still in bed. He said, "Look, you promised you would be here at 10..." and she flew into one of her rages, lit into him, cussed him out and called him every rotten name you could imagine.

Fortunately she was only living an hour or so away, so my friend drove over there and picked up the car.

But he knew she still needed transportation, so he instead gave her his old minivan... the one with 280,000 miles on the odometer. Hers to keep and Good Luck. Probably more than she deserved, but he still loves her and hopes she'll shape up eventually.

Kids: sometimes ya don't know whether to hug 'em or shoot 'em.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Unfortunately this all sounds just like my Sister-in-Law and she is in her late 40's and still acting like this and treating my inlaws like crap even though they've given her e'thing. She stole my MIL's debit card and wiped out their checking acct this past Christmas so it appears just b/c people get older they dont always get wiser which is sad. They cant recognize unconditional love nor respect it. My MIL is in her 70's now and not the best of health so it wont be long before it's too late for her daughter to come around and have that special relationship. So sad that we all seem to know somebody in this situation.

I wonder if you do get the car back can she report it stolen since even though e'thing is in your name you still gave it to her? Something to look into just to be sure you wont have any problems down the road yourself.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Maybe the best decision is to just write off the whole car as a loss. Pay off the loan, let the insusurance lapse and let the impound lot deal with it.... or can they go after you for storage fees?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #22

Indiana
Mike and Melissa, you both sound like you know my stepdaughter, it must be something in the water these days. Pam, you may be right, I cancelled the insurance the day after they left but there is still a paper from the insurance co. that says they have insurance. They have even pulled over for speeding somewhere in Oregon, Washington or Montana and the punk kid that was driving my car has a warrant and now he can't leave Mt. for six months, but are the cops up there not smart enough to realize that the car has Tx. plates in the northwest and not one person in the vehicle is named Greg H.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I wouldn't be so quick to cancel the insurance! It's titled in your name? You would be held responsible for anything they do to/with your car. As well as if they would hurt, (God forbid) kill someone with it. Better to have the insurance coverage.

Could you file a missing persons report on her. And claim the car as last seen driving, make, model, year, TX plates etc. That way when the car is found, they will contact you?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #24

Oklahoma
If you are not successful in finding the car where she said she left it, this could be a sign that perhaps they still have the car and maybe told you a story so you would not be able to get it away from them (wherever they went). Just a thought, but of course it's all guesswork at this point.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #25

Indiana
I just talked with two different police departments and I was told that driving without insurance is a tow able and impound able offense. I also was concerned about an accident and I was informed that any fault would be put on the operator at the time of the incident. I was also told by the local Missoula police that it is now considered an unauthorized use since she left the car with someone else, but they wont go after the car until the Indiana state police report to Missoula that it is an unauthorized use, Indiana says the crime of unauthorized use has taken place in Missoula and that makes Missoula responsible for taking action, Can anybody say (there's your tax dollars at work).
Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I just talked with two different police departments and I was told that driving without insurance is a tow able and impound able offense. I also was concerned about an accident and I was informed that any fault would be put on the operator at the time of the incident. I was also told by the local Missoula police that it is now considered an unauthorized use since she left the car with someone else, but they wont go after the car until the Indiana state police report to Missoula that it is an unauthorized use, Indiana says the crime of unauthorized use has taken place in Missoula and that makes Missoula responsible for taking action, Can anybody say (there's your tax dollars at work).
A typical "Catch 22" situation
A Catch-22, coined by Joseph Heller in his novel Catch-22, is a logical paradox arising from a situation in which an individual needs something that can only be acquired by not being in that very situation; therefore, the acquisition of this thing becomes logically impossible. Catch-22s are often spoken with regard to rules, regulations, procedures, or situations in which one has knowledge of being or becoming a victim but has no control over it occurring (i.e. heads you win, tails I lose, output is the input...)
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #27

Indiana
Yep, It's kinda funny but it's not. Your kid steals your car and you can't report it stolen, then your kid leaves your car with someone else and you still can't do anything about it. So the best you can do is spend money you don't have to go find the car that somebody stole and then beat the living crap out of the kid and then you can go to jail for beating the living crap out of the person. What a deal.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #28

Oklahoma
I'd say to the Indiana police, "Look, you're right, it is up to Missoula police to take action. How about you just report the unauthorized use to them and then they will take action?"

Sheesh, bureaucracy. Reminds me of when I tried to get a TT Vin number corrected on a title. If there is some way you can phrase it so the action fits in with their preconceived notions, maybe they'll get their thumbs out of you-know-where and do something.