HELP:Interior Height Issues/Comparison - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Gotta say, there is a lot more concern hereabouts about towing capacity and trailer weight, than about bumping ones head. Head room has to do with personal comfort, trailer weight and towing capacity has to do with safety, and is higher on the priority scale.

I think that previous answers, and Post #7 pretty much cover the available range.

The term "Mid-sized vehicle" is somewhat archaic and no longer describes what size trailer might be towed. In fact, as it somewhat suggests a passenger car, the list of any of those that will safely tow 3000 lbs is very short indeed. The days of Dad's new Buick towing an Airstream is somewhat dated, except, apparently in some northern venues.

Now, give us a clue as to what you will be towing with, make, model and year.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yes I understand safety issues and will have family with RVs to help me shop for right vehicle. One of my main attractions to fiberglass models is to eliminate the need for a gas guzzling big pickup truck. Of course safety will be a priority when the time comes. Right now I do not have a trailer but own a S10 pick up with 250,000 miles on it and my everyday Ford Focus. I plan on getting rid of both and settling on one vehicle when I purchase my RV.

So right now, I am not wanting to up the horse before the cart. I will get the RV that satisfies me and then worry about the proper truck/SUV/whatever to haul it.

So back to the topic, more information on interior heights of various models would be appreciated. Post #7 does provide some info but it is from 2009, and doesn't answer all questions such as does the interior height vary from older models to newer ones (glad to find out that is the case with Scamps) or with longer models vs. shorter ones, or other models not mentioned.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Mark where are you located,exactly?

I have a Casita and a Fiberstream in my driveway in STL that you are welcome to come stand in.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #18

Missouri
Thanks Ed. I am from Ste. Genevieve and a school teacher. I would love to see them sometime and talk to you about the pros and cons. I have yet to step foot in any fiberglass, I just love the models and know it's the way I want to go. If you would rather shoot me an email, mine is ...

mvogt@stegen.k12.mo.us

Depending on where you are in St. Louis, I could make a trip soon.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Thanks Ed. I am from Ste. Genevieve and a school teacher. I would love to see them sometime and talk to you about the pros and cons. I have yet to step foot in any fiberglass, I just love the models and know it's the way I want to go. If you would rather shoot me an email, mine is ...

mvogt@stegen.k12.mo.us

Depending on where you are in St. Louis, I could make a trip soon.
You are not too far at all.

I am in Brentwood,right in the middle.

PM me if you want to exchange info.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Check out the rally map link in first post http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-61844.html

There is one in Il. coming up in May and there may be one someplace you want to go anyway for vacation or visiting. Rally is a great opportunity to see and check out many models and ages of FG campers. Often at a rally there is an informal open house on one of the days.

In a 13 ft. Scamp it is about 2 steps from table to front couch so walking around is minor, but standing up from sitting with a roof just a little too short is if you pardon the pun a headache. I'm 6'1" and I just fit in our older scamp. Bed is just long enough due to pillow putting head up a bit rather than straight across. Add a couple of inches to my height and it would still be workable but less than ideal.

Saw a nice mod for a bed to keep in mind. Extended table into center with fold up platform set in front of the sink. Allowed sleeping lengthwise instead of across.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
The ParkLiner has like 6' 5" interior height, plus a queen size bed. We love ours! 2100#s dry weight. Check them out here: ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Best of luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
One has to wonder why no molded mfr is presently doing the obvious solution to this oft-repeated problem: the simple popup roof section.

Advantages: keeping rooftop travel height at around six feet or even a bit shorter could yield important aerodynamic gain by reducing frontal area; interior still accessible while "unpopped"; and extra headroom when stationary easily achieved.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #23

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
One has to wonder why no molded mfr is presently doing the obvious solution to this oft-repeated problem: the simple popup roof section.

Advantages: keeping rooftop travel height at around six feet or even a bit shorter could yield important aerodynamic gain by reducing frontal area; interior still accessible while "unpopped"; and extra headroom when stationary easily achieved.
Like our old VW camper van back in the early 70's!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #24

New York
Actually, as I think about it, doing a pop-up roof section probably is not structurally possible in a molded trailer? I would imagine it could be done, but it sure wouldn't be easy to do!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
And all of the Hunter, Campster, etc. family.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

And the builders would have to re-engineer the entire roof area for support, rule out air conditioning, (horrors) and make what many would call an ugly addition all for a 5% addition to sales that might, in turn, cost a 20% reduction in sales to existing buyers.

Look up Sportsmobile, I believe they can custom install a pop-up on almost anything.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
There's a few Pop-up's out there in molded fiberglass trailers.

Here's one, the Compact II:
Attached Thumbnails
IM004443.JPG   IM004281.JPG  

IM004284.JPG  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #27

Missouri
Thanks Frank, I do like the Parkliner too. That one just slipped my mind. One thing I did notice on their website - standard features are sort of bare bones with a price of close to $17K. I would love to have more of the optional features but the price would quickly add up and above my wishful budget. But I will keep my eye out for the used Parkliner. As much as I would like to order an new fiberglass RV, I am certain I will have to be patient and look for a good deal on a used one. And as I have mentioned in other posts, I am no handyman, and don't want to take on the job of a fixer upper either. As of right now, I have Scamp and Parkliner on my mental preference list.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #28

New York
ParkLiners just started selling in 2012, so there are not many used ones around Mark. We were gonna swallow hard and order one new this Spring, then a used one came up (here on this forum) last October not too far away and we didn't even quibble on price, just snatched it up. We wanted a lightweight trailer with a queen size bed that could be towed by a vehicle with 3500# tow rating. We considered a lot of alternatives, but were drawn to ParkLiner by the design and closeness. They and Lil Snoozy are the closest manufacturers to us, and we're still working, so real long trips to pick up a Casita or Scamp were just out of the question.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006