HELP:Interior Height Issues/Comparison - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
The ParkLiner has like 6' 5" interior height, plus a queen size bed. We love ours! 2100#s dry weight. Check them out here: ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Best of luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
One has to wonder why no molded mfr is presently doing the obvious solution to this oft-repeated problem: the simple popup roof section.

Advantages: keeping rooftop travel height at around six feet or even a bit shorter could yield important aerodynamic gain by reducing frontal area; interior still accessible while "unpopped"; and extra headroom when stationary easily achieved.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
One has to wonder why no molded mfr is presently doing the obvious solution to this oft-repeated problem: the simple popup roof section.

Advantages: keeping rooftop travel height at around six feet or even a bit shorter could yield important aerodynamic gain by reducing frontal area; interior still accessible while "unpopped"; and extra headroom when stationary easily achieved.
Like our old VW camper van back in the early 70's!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #24

New York
Actually, as I think about it, doing a pop-up roof section probably is not structurally possible in a molded trailer? I would imagine it could be done, but it sure wouldn't be easy to do!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And all of the Hunter, Campster, etc. family.
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

And the builders would have to re-engineer the entire roof area for support, rule out air conditioning, (horrors) and make what many would call an ugly addition all for a 5% addition to sales that might, in turn, cost a 20% reduction in sales to existing buyers.

Look up Sportsmobile, I believe they can custom install a pop-up on almost anything.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
There's a few Pop-up's out there in molded fiberglass trailers.

Here's one, the Compact II:
Attached Thumbnails
IM004443.JPG   IM004281.JPG  

IM004284.JPG  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #27

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Thanks Frank, I do like the Parkliner too. That one just slipped my mind. One thing I did notice on their website - standard features are sort of bare bones with a price of close to $17K. I would love to have more of the optional features but the price would quickly add up and above my wishful budget. But I will keep my eye out for the used Parkliner. As much as I would like to order an new fiberglass RV, I am certain I will have to be patient and look for a good deal on a used one. And as I have mentioned in other posts, I am no handyman, and don't want to take on the job of a fixer upper either. As of right now, I have Scamp and Parkliner on my mental preference list.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #28

New York
ParkLiners just started selling in 2012, so there are not many used ones around Mark. We were gonna swallow hard and order one new this Spring, then a used one came up (here on this forum) last October not too far away and we didn't even quibble on price, just snatched it up. We wanted a lightweight trailer with a queen size bed that could be towed by a vehicle with 3500# tow rating. We considered a lot of alternatives, but were drawn to ParkLiner by the design and closeness. They and Lil Snoozy are the closest manufacturers to us, and we're still working, so real long trips to pick up a Casita or Scamp were just out of the question.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #29

Missouri
That's what I am finding out. There are no manufacturers or dealers in the Midwest. Anything I may be interested in seeing is at least a day's drive away one way. I have yet to see any fiberglass RV for sell in Missouri - craigslist, RV dealers, or websites - ZERO!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #30

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
That's what I am finding out. There are no manufacturers or dealers in the Midwest. Anything I may be interested in seeing is at least a day's drive away one way. I have yet to see any fiberglass RV for sell in Missouri - craigslist, RV dealers, or websites - ZERO!
Keep an eye out for ads of the "for sale" part of these forums Mark. That's where I found our ParkLiner. Ya gotta jump on deals though, they go real quick. Best of luck to ya!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #31

Cheer Up, as soon as the Midwest digs out of the snow, owners will start thinking of selling and post them, albeit at higher and higher prices as summer approaches.

In the meantime, did you look here: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #32

Missouri
Yes - keeping an eye out on both of those and this one for sale - appreciate all the help - I'm a rookie!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #33

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Check out the dub box @ www.dub-box-usa.com.:) From their site:

Overall length including towing frame 16 foot.
• Body length including bumpers approx 12 foot 3 inches
• Overall width including bumpers approx 5 foot 8 inches
• Overall height approx 6 foot
• Internal head height closed approx 4 foot 4 inches
• lnternal head height with the lift top approx 6 foot 5 inches

I am seriously considering purchasing one.
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #34

Missouri
I would think that any kind of pop up roof extension on a fiberglass would compromise the integrity of the shell and add possibility of leaks. The greatest advantage of fiberglass to me is they are built to last a lifetime.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #35

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
I would think that any kind of pop up roof extension on a fiberglass would compromise the integrity of the shell and add possibility of leaks. The greatest advantage of fiberglass to me is they are built to last a lifetime.
From their FAQ page:

Is the fiberglass body leak proof? -YES

We are so confident of that, we have given it a ten-year body shell guarantee.
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #36

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Asheville View Post
From their FAQ page:

Is the fiberglass body leak proof? -YES

We are so confident of that, we have given it a ten-year body shell guarantee.
I'm sure the body is leak proof, it would be the pop up roof extension I would be worried about. I guess there is no way of knowing how these are going to hold up until somebody buys one, uses it, and reports!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #37

Quote:
I guess that I better not tell that to all of the Hunters, Campsters and other 40+ year old FGRV's out there with pop-up roofs. A pop-up roof section doesn't have to be a problem if it is engineered properly in the first place.

I have pulled my Hunter Compact-II through a lot of rainstorms without a drop of water leaking inside. Not to mention the occasional gullywasher rainstorms that we get her in SoCal.

BTW: I don't know of any FGRV's that were "Built to last a lifetime" All you have to do is look at the floor and cabinet construction to realize that. It just happens that the molded fiberglass shell protects the cheesy stuff inside better than the sticky's do.

But at 40+, some are 1/2 way there.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #38

FWIW: Per my comments in post #37, I think that BigFoot comes closest to being built for a lifetime.....

Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #39

Missouri
I just got an email reply from Kent at the Scamp factory. The interior height is 6'1 1/2" but he said it may vary a little from one to another.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looking at the Escape Owners Map I see several in Missouri and surrounding states. Check with ETI for referrals if you're interested in seeing one in person.
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeOwnersmap.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote