Help, last-minute problem! No title? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if someone can help with a last-minute issue I'm having:

I was just handing over the money on a Boler (almost a twin to April's, but not QUITE such a steal ). At the last minute I realized....no title!

Now, I'm not at all worried about the acutal history of the trailer. The owners have had it for 18 years and they are definitely nice people and on the up-and-up (they just bought a new Scamp 16). They never had a title. This is in Canada, although I live in Virginia, USA.

I checked at the US border, and they say a bill-of-sale is fine for crossing. So this is more a concern for later.

I looked on the VA DMV site but did not find a clear answer, and it's too late to call. I can't really stay here until tomorrow - need to get on the road tonight.

I'm just not sure if this is a deal-breaker problem.

So close to having one! Nuts!

Raya

Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Only VA DMV can answer your question with any precision. To be absolutely sure, youy'll have to bite the bullet and wait.

Another Virginian may chime in here, and give you some hope, but precede with caution.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #3

Doing some online research while I wait to see if anyone replies, I find options (maybe) of filing a form vsa12 (affidavit in lieu of title), which needs to be approved, and/or titleing as "homebuilt" and they give you a new vin to affix. (BTW, there is a clear serial # on the trailer shell.)

What to do...? They need 24/7 DMV's!

This is the only "cheapish" trailer I've found that is "livable" inside. (I have seen a few $4xxx nice ones, but this one is more affordable.)

Raya
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #4

Thanks, Gina. I really can't stay, unfortunately --- I was supposed to head back hom this morning! Work beckons

I had intended to buy a Trillium here this morning, but it just wan't quite as nice as I had hoped (and it was way at the top of my budget so my standards were high).

This was my "fallback" trailer, but I had to wait until they got home from work. It's not perfect by any means, b ut the price is right. It feels like there's less "pressure" for it to be perfect And if I don't take to "egging," not as big a deal.

Rachel
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #5

Here's a quick update (from road with bad keyboard, so short):

I did some more research last night, and then ultimately decided to go ahead with it. This morning I called VA DMV (I could still have returned the trailer with a bit of a back-tracky drive if news was bad).

They advised that when I come in to title/register, I need the bill of sale (got it), a US-DOT form HS-7 (which does not need as much info if trailer is over 25 years old score for 1974), and one of six optional U S Customs forms, validated by US Customs.

Okay, called US-DOT. they don't re ally care since it's over 25 years old and not motorized, but of course I can have the form for V A-DMV.

Called customs next. I could have done that part at the border i f I had known to ask. Customs themselves did not care (and no duty owed due to NAFTA), so although the customs agent asked to look in the trailer (and thought it was cute ), she did not bring up the forms at all.

However, I called the closest "port" to my house (happens to be by an airport), and they knew just what I was up to. Said I could come by on my way through with the trailer and they'd fix me up with the proper form and validate it. Again, they didn't care, for themselves - it's just for VA-DMV's sake.

So, we'll see how it goes. Sounds good so far.

Raya
Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

I just thought I would link to a later thread where I told the rest of the story; it has a bit more info, too.

Short version is that it all worked out fine and that the most important thing seems to be the rules of one's home state (some are much more demanding than others) (and then I ended up buying a Trillium also, because I couldn't decide ).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=32758&hl=

Raya

PS: it does not look like I can edit my post above, but I see I mistakenly typed 35 years at one point, then 25 years after that. The correct number is 25; that is the break point for whether they care more or less about certain things on the trailer (less if it's over 25 years old).