Help me decide between a T@B Max and an egg type... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #21

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
We had planned on getting a T@b Maxx, so we visited the plant, not impressed. We waited almost an hour for our scheduled tour for someone who didn't know much. For the price, workmanship was kinda sloppy. Got inside and WOW. My wife and I are both 5"3, barely room to get past each other, then my wife smacked her head. The bath is even smaller than Scamp 13's. Bed is right next to you when you walk in, "kitchen" are right on other side. Just my observations. We gave up until I discovered eggs. We are now happy owners of a used Scamp, and at half the price.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Scamp will have lower wind resistance and will get a little better fuel economy than the T@b. And what everyone else said. I think the only thing you "lose" with the Scamp is the outdoor clamshell kitchen... but I am sure you could unpack and set up your own outdoor kitchen in 2 or 3 minutes.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot
Pretty simple math here. A 10 YO egg will be around 20 years from now. A new cardboard box will be 10 years gone in 20 years...
pete luchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #24

Name: Carlton
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Well, I appreciate all the comments and the answers are surprisingly akin to what I instinctively expected from what I had surmised from research and gut feelings. I especially appreciate those of you who actually took time to read my post and then think about what I was asking before simply responding with a canned response or something off base.

Its given me a lot more to think about. I also posted this same question over at the T@B forum and its interesting to see the different responses.

So thanks a lot. I sort of agree with the poster who suggested I might be better off with the new Happier Camper and it certainly does appeal to me but it would need to be under $10,000 for the base model for sure to even consider it and it sounds like they are going to try and sell it for a lot higher.
CarltonC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:34 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonC. View Post
Well, I appreciate all the comments and the answers are surprisingly akin to what I instinctively expected from what I had surmised from research and gut feelings. I especially appreciate those of you who actually took time to read my post and then think about what I was asking before simply responding with a canned response or something off base.

Its given me a lot more to think about. I also posted this same question over at the T@B forum and its interesting to see the different responses.

So thanks a lot. I sort of agree with the poster who suggested I might be better off with the new Happier Camper and it certainly does appeal to me but it would need to be under $10,000 for the base model for sure to even consider it and it sounds like they are going to try and sell it for a lot higher.
Hi Carlton, not quite sure what you're saying with this post, kind of left me hanging IMO. Did the answers you got on this forum match what your gut feeling was? Any decisions for you ? How did the responses differ on the Tab site as you didn't say. I'm sure each would be aimed toward molded and stick built as per each sites preference. What you state as wants/needs will include many different trailers. Do let us know what you decide works best for your uses.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
If I'm allowed to post it, here's the link
Forum | T@B Teardrop Trailers

Makes for a quick read.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gee, I read the posts on the T@B site and didn't see any comments/claims about it having superior construction, lower weight, longer life expectancy or holding it's prices better than FGRV's. I guess I will have to read it again. LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The OP is asking about a SMALL trailer that he feels fits his needs. Why would he want to consider something bigger simply because his TV is larger than needed for a 13".

Most on this entire site embrace that right sized is right sized.
I'm all for people making up their own minds and getting something "right sized" but they need to be realistic. I thought I wanted a 13 until I lucked into my 16 locally. I am very happy I did as it turned out to be "just right" for us. I probably would have been happy in a 13, if it got us in the woods, but the 16 is just a little more without being too much to tow, store, etc. Good luck with your search!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #29

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Our first trailer was a 13' Casita and we loved it. But when we got the chance at a good buy on a used 16' we jumped at it. Reasons? We could leave the bed made up and still have a place to sit, eat, read, etc., and when we wanted to bring a grandchild camping, we had the extra bed available and didn't need to carry a tent. Most of the advantages of a FG over a T@B have been mentioned, But I'd like to add that having a fully functional kitchen inside in bad weather is a huge plus for us even though we usually prefer cooking outside, as well as the ability to stop anywhere and duck inside for lunch or a quick cup of coffee, regardless of the weather.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It sounds to me like the only big advantage of the clamshell is the outdoor cooking (everything right there in the rear hatch), and all the other advantages go to the Scamp.

And if the weather is bad, the T@b owner will be going hungry (or going out to eat). The good possibility of running into some bad weather on any given camping trip is the main reason I stopped tenting! I seemed to get 1 or 2 days of yucky weather on almost every extended trip.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Park Liner
North Carolina
Carolina Sonshine

We did a lot of work 2 years ago before selecting a 2012 Park Liner. It has a queen size bed, bunks fitting a 6' person are an option as is the shower. They now have placed the AC on top which will make a huge difference and the heater works great for boon docking. You can order and at times find a used one as we did in Georgia-even though we live 1 hour and 15 minutes from the manufacturer. The other major features for us was the height at 6'4" inside (about 4' wide) and the 21 liner feet of cabinet space. These features along with a place for a trailer hitch already in the frame made it a perfect choice. Take a look.

You may want to visit Townsend TN the 17 and 18 for the Eggscursion to continue your research. Fiberglass eggsters are always willing to open their doors for you to view their campers!
Carolina Sonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #32

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2008 Casita SD
Texas
T@B

You asked = so here is my answer. We purchased a T@B..On the way home from buying it the rubber side molding that goes over the top blew off. (one side) Fortunately I saw it leave the T@B. We had to go miles down I-40 before we could go back. Picked it up and headed home. I put it back on the trailer. I used sheet metal screws to be sure it would not blow off again. Also, I did the same for the other side. May not be as fortunate next time to see it blow off or come detached.. Did not like the way the tongue jack was folded up. Came down even though it was attached correctly. From now on we will always have a casita. Mistake for us to even consider a T@B. You asked===
wecan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #33

Name: Jill
Trailer: Scamp
Indiana
We first saw the T@B with the inside kitchen at an endurance race and decided we needed to graduate from a tent to something that we could pull behind our car. We researched and were between a teardrop and a T@B inside vs outside cooking, until we came across the Scamp. My husband is 6'2" and he can stand up in the Scamp... that was not an option in a teardrop or T@B and the price of the 13' Scamp was close to half of the T@B we were considering. After two years of having the Scamp we love it!! We primarily cook outdoors when camping... over the fire, so I wouldn't want my camper close enough to the open flames for indoor or outdoor kitchens to be useful.
JillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #34

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The t@bs are nicely appointed. I know of several campers that love them. I think that they're very cute, and love the color choices.
That being said,,, I'd take a fiberglass egg anyday over a t@b.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #35

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper & Trillium choices also

Hi Carlton,
We looked at Scamp, Casita, R-Pod, and Trillium before buying a 2012 used Eggcamper. We almost bought the new Trillium and probably would have if the good used Eggcamper had not come along. If you are limited to $10k --that will limit choices.
Some of the Eggcamper attributes are: Full size, full length Bed. And the Bed can easily be modified to a (almost) Queen size. Up to 87" interior width, so no "short" beds no matter what you do in the bed dept. The Bed was our #1 consideration--need to get a good nights sleep. Other items include the ability to leave the bed in place and use the 2 person dinette. It has a good Toilet & Shower. Height of about 6'7". It's taller and wider than Scamp and Casita, which are fine trailers. The only possible down side is that Eggcamper is all-electric. But you can install a propane system in it, as some folks have done. I actually installed a propane system in ours, which we've never used--but if you are going to do some serious dry camping you may want propane, and a 3 way fridge.
The Trillium also has good interior height (6'2")and an (almost) full size bed.
GL
Mark
Western Mass.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #36

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If you need more head room than a 17' Casita (6'2") I think the best choice is a Parkliner. My grandson is 6'5" and found it quite comfortable.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #37

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 2014 ParkLiner #60ish
Tennessee
We bought a new T@G Max last summer and kept it for a few months before deciding on our current ParkLiner. The T@G was a phenomenal little trailer--excellent build and quality. Our issue was that it was simply too small for our needs. If you love tent camping and all that goes with it but want more comfort then the T@G would be a step up from a tent. The T@B another step up for standing room inside. For me comparing the Little Guys to eggs are like comparing apples to oranges. Just a matter of what your individual needs are. Do your research! Sit in them all. Best wishes...
Rhondalyn is offline   Reply With Quote