Help me enjoy camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL
Whatever bit me may have bitten through sweatshirt material during my AM workout on the mat in the screenhouse. Three days later I still have itchy red welts with what looks like blisters on top. I have to bath almost in Cortizone to sleep and aometimes in the middle of the night too.
Kevin suggested camping during one of our conferences this spring. After this trip I am very reluctant. I do not want to walk around smelling of Deet or scratching bug bites.
CindyL
If it's red bugs a bath with baking soda helps, not that you have access to a tub though. Just a stab in another direction, if the welts are large with blisters could it be poison ivy?

-John

Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #16

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Thanks everyone. We were just outside Naples. I was on a mat and I am one of those lucky people who attracts bugs. I have avoided a couple of fall Midwest rallies because I knew the bugs would be bad near the river. Kevin has no bites.

CindyL

Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
If you have been a true indoor type, it is possible that after a little "experience" with bites, your immune system may not react so violently; Spending time in the great outdoors is well worth persisting in order to find out.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Travel

Cindy,

On our travels I've come to recognize that as you move about the country there are different plants, animals and insects that can be a concern. The safe assumption is there's something that wants to have you for lunch in big or small ways.

One of the charms of travel is the differences of all kinds between parts of the country and in part how people live with these differences.

This weekend we visited a small county park located on the Peace River, probably 25 sites. Over the New Years weekend it was populated by local families enjoying the holiday. We spent some time walking the park absorbing the obvious joy of children and families on their holiday.

The Peace River is a rather famous ssource of fossils. Up the river at a sandy bend a number of young children were swimming in the river.

Near the boat ramp there were a number of children boating. As one of the children. probably about 10 years old, landed his boat he said "look a water mocassin". He jumped out of the boat with his paddle and attempted to give it a wack.

About the same time another two lads, a little older were running in the shallows attempting to catch a small gator.

Of course Ginny, looked at this situation from the perspective of a vigilant parent. The Florida parents in the park showed no concern, it was all part of their experienced environment, a very important local skill.

Every environment we visit has it's concerns and it does require not assuming that where we are is like home.

Though we are presently in a well manicured RV park I do not lie on the grass like I would in NH; they have very unfriendly ants here.

New environments require care and local advice and knowledge,

Safe travels,
Attached Thumbnails
county park.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #19

Illinois
Registry
We were shelling on the beach too. I am not sure when I got bit.

CindyL
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Cindy, I always carry Benedryl lotion with me. It's great for soothing bug bites, allergic rashes, and any kind of itch. Caladryl Clear is also good.

Nothing's perfect, but they work well for me.

The main thing is use DEET. It's horrible stuff and I worry about the health dangers, but it does keep the bugs off. And probably all that bug venom is worse for you than the DEET if you use it for a limited amount of time.

Norm, my Dad had a baby gator for a pet when he was a kid in Florida.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Cindy, I always carry Benedryl lotion with me. It's great for soothing bug bites, allergic rashes, and any kind of itch. Caladryl Clear is also good.

Nothing's perfect, but they work well for me.

The main thing is use DEET. It's horrible stuff and I worry about the health dangers, but it does keep the bugs off. And probably all that bug venom is worse for you than the DEET if you use it for a limited amount of time.

Norm, my Dad had a baby gator for a pet when he was a kid in Florida.

From what I've read, it's quite a bit, about Deet it's only harmful to humans if they're made out of plastic.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
From what I've read, it's quite a bit, about Deet it's only harmful to humans if they're made out of plastic.
DEET is a chemical that is applied topically which is absorbed by the skin into the body. In a study of rats, it was proven that long-term use of DEET kills brain neurons. Heavy consumption of alcohol can harm dendrites.

I use DEET only when necessary and do what most southerners do, wear long sleeves and pants when tolerable. That also helps with sun exposure. When I do use DEET I have a few drinks and assume my malfunctioning dendrites are those on the dying neurons so I'm good.

-John
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #23

Name: j
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
I mix 3 parts lavender essential oil with one part lemon eucalyptus essential oil and mix into some jojoba oil. (ie, like 30 drops lavender with 10 drops lemon euc. mixed into 1/4 - 1/2 cup jojoba oil) Shake well prior to use and apply on clothing or sparingly on skin (not near eyes though). Been camping in nasty mosquito areas for years and have never had to use OFF again!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Try a Therma-cell. they work great on mosquitoes

Gander Mountain® > ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Appliances - Camping > Health Safety & Survival > Insect Control :.

Available at most sporting goods stores.. They also make them in a Patio Lantern if that is more to your liking
Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #25

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
I swear by AVON Skin-So-Soft. Nice lite scent, can spray on, add to bath also can be used on animals. Also look for food grade DIATOMACUS EARTH not the kind used in swimming pools. I spread around all my camp sites and it keeps the bugs away safe for animals too.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #26

Illinois
Registry
Thanks! I will try a couple of these suggestions. It was not mosquitos that got me this time, but they are a constant issue too. They are part of the reason I have skipped a couple of rallies Kevin went to. en when I go, they are part of the reason I don't lik

CindyL
Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
They are so small that they go though regular window screen. There is a tigtly woven screen that will keep them out. They are pretty prevalent along the coastal areas of NW Florida. Even if the weather is nice we don't open the windows in the Casita. Also try Avon Skin-so-Soft. I lived in Savannah for a few years and the Avon lady made a lot money.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #28

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Thanks! I will try a couple of these suggestions. It was not mosquitos that got me this time, but they are a constant issue too. They are part of the reason I have skipped a couple of rallies Kevin went to. en when I go, they are part of the reason I don't lik

CindyL
Cindy I zo know where your coming from I'm a bug magnet too!!!
touch wood last summer was not too bad but I have had trips that went south with bug bites.....no matter what I try it does not stop them DH will be bite free while I have doz. of bites if I ' m inside the boler the mosquitos will be hanging off the screens & all you hear is a loud buzzzzzzing
sitting around a campfire can be an not so much fun they bite through camp chairs this is with deet on bum & chair & a coil burning under the chair....rubber boot protect my ankles LOL!!!!!!!