Help me learn - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Couple other things, ours cleaned up good using Barkeepers Friend (liquid version). A close to original door hinge is available, and yes there is wood in the door and body for the hinge screws to go into. Door latch is a Bargman L300, no longer available except on eBay at ripoff prices, and check out the door striker the latch catches on, like nothing you've ever seen.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #16

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
The door striker for sure looks crazy! The current owner actually already replaced the door latch and the whole mechanism and even had somebody machine a new piece to make the latch work properly. It all looks really good and i would have never been able to tell it was done at a later time.

I am thinking if i buy it i will just replace the wood in the door hinges with better quality wood. The metal sounds like a good long term solution but wood is just simpler and i am sure will last for many years.

it is a CT13 btw.

If it did have a fridge in there what can one replace it with?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
For exterior, clean well and then do 3 coats of Zep floor wax. You will be amazed.

An rv fridge that fits the space would probably be a basic 2 cubic foot model fron Norcold or Dometic. Dorm fridge 120V only might fit, but will not hold coolness for more than about 3 hours unless you freeze some water in a jug and put it in the fridge during travel.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #18

Colorado
I saw a small 3way fridge on eBay for $350. Probably questionable quality tho.

Also, can somebody tell me why all molded trails are sold direct to customer and stick crap boxes are sold through dealers. I am honestly now absolutely disgusted by stick campers. I will never buy one again.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin View Post
Also, can somebody tell me why all molded trails are sold direct to customer and stick crap boxes are sold through dealers. I am honestly now absolutely disgusted by stick campers. I will never buy one again.
Basically the FG trailer is a very small niche market and they don't need to use dealers to sell all they can make. FG builders are pretty much small family type companies and only produce a few hundred total per year and have up to a year wait time for buyers. Stick RVs are made by the 1000s and need the dealers to move them. It would be nice if they were available through dealers and one has just gone that way, but it may just boil down to the costs to ramp up the numbers and they're fine with the profits they make now .
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
With a 30 year old trailer you never know what may have been done to it. If it had a 3 way fridge then someone would have had to cut vent holes in the side. I put a dorm fridge in ours. Door repair may be a challenge to get new wood in place. The floor wax does make quite a shine, but we prefer to use a marine wax. Sounds like this trailer has had a lot of modifications, which may be good, or maybe some not so good.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 AM   #21

Colorado
There is a vent hole cut in the side. It looks nice tho.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
There is a vent hole cut in the side. It looks nice tho.
One or two? RV fridges (2- or 3-way) typically require two vents- lower intake/controls and upper exhaust.

Quote:
...Also, can somebody tell me why all molded trails are sold direct to customer and stick crap boxes are sold through dealers. I am honestly now absolutely disgusted by stick campers. I will never buy one again.
That's not a simple question. One factor is cost. Molded construction is inherently more expensive, and dealers add middleman costs- buildings, inventory, staff, marketing, discounting- and profits on top of that. To accommodate those added costs, dealers expect manufacturers to sell to them at cut-rate wholesale prices. Traditional molded manufacturers like Scamp and Casita find they can sell all they make at full retail through direct sales, keeping prices reasonable for buyers and margins profitable for the company.

Another factor is production capacity. Dealers require lots of speculative inventory to facilitate the "tow it home today" expectation of their customers. Expanding molded production requires more time due to the mold-production phase and greater cost because of the specialized equipment needed. That makes expansion riskier because the RV industry is notoriously cyclical. By the time they ramp up production, the market may well have gone soft. Molded manufacturers have found they can better weather the cycles by maintaining a modest but sustainable output.

A third factor is choice. The molding process limits the number of models and variations that can be offered and increases the time and cost to make changes in the offerings. Dealers typically expect "new and improved" designs every year and many variations of length and layout, all available "right now" for instant gratification, many of which go unsold and are eventually heavily discounted. Molded manufacturers have found they can offer the most choices without costly speculative builds by letting the customer make the choices when they order their trailer.

All that said, there have been a number of past and current attempts to sell through dealers. Bigfoot is currently one, but they only have 5 or 6 outlets in all of North America. Relic, a recent start-up making a single vintage-style 13' model, sells through one dealer in Norman, Oklahoma, as well as semi-custom through the factory.

The most ambitious current dealer experiment is Parkliner, which recently announced plans to suspend direct sales and sell through the Little Guy dealer network. The cost will rise significantly, partly justified by design improvements. They will start with only one model but plan to add a second later. It will be interesting to see how they fare.

I would not completely write off all conventional trailers as equally bad. Some are better than others, and any trailer, molded fiberglass included, can become a mess if it's abused and basic maintenance is neglected. I am sold on the advantages of molded fiberglass for myself, but a larger family with a modest budget is going to have a hard time finding anything molded to fit their needs. I also like the idea of dealing directly with a small, family-owned manufacturer, but not everyone wants to wait 4-12 months for a new trailer.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #23

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
One, or two? RV (2- or 3-way) typically require two vents- lower intake/controls and upper exhaust.

As to why most molded fiberglass manufacturers sell factory-direct rather than through dealers, that's not a simple question. One factor is cost. Molded construction is inherently more expensive, and dealers add middleman costs- buildings, inventory, staff, marketing, discounting. Dealers expect manufacturers to sell to them at cut-rate wholesale prices. Traditional molded manufacturers like Scamp and Casita find they can sell all they can make at full retail price through direct sales.

Another factor is production capacity. Dealers require lots of speculative inventory to facilitate the "tow it home today" expectation of their customers. Expanding molded production requires more time due to the mold-production phase and greater cost because of the specialized equipment needed. That makes expansion riskier because the RV industry is notoriously cyclical. By the time they ramp up production, the market may well have gone soft. Molded manufacturers have found they can better weather the cycles by building a modest but sustainable output.

A third factor is choice. The molding process limits the number of models and variations that can be offered and increases the time and cost to make changes in the offerings. Dealers typically expect "new and improved" designs every year and many variations of length and layout, all available "right now" for instant gratification, many of which go unsold and are eventually heavily discounted. Molded manufacturers have found they can offer the most choices without costly speculative builds by letting the customer make the choices when they order their trailer.

That said, their have been a number of past and current attempts to sell through dealers. Bigfoot is one, but they only have 5 or 6 dealers in all of North America. Relic, which makes a single vintage-style 13' model, sells through a dealer in Norman, Oklahoma, as well as semi-custom through the factory.

The most ambitious current dealer experiment is Parkliner, which recently announced plans to suspend direct sales and sell through the Little Guy dealer network. The cost will rise significantly, partly justified by design improvements. They will start with only one model, but plan to add a second later. It will be interesting to see how they fare.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I am honestly not understating why anybody would buy a stick camper. They seem to be absolutely awful to deal with.

As far as the holes i think i could only see one bigger one at the bottom.

Also, what do you guys think about this deal https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...147579709.html

I have family in Minneapolis and if this is a good deal we might consider flying out and driving it back.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
I saw a small 3way fridge on eBay for $350. Probably questionable quality tho.

Why give a dealer 10 to 20% of the profits when you can sell direct, are out of capacity and sold out?

Dealers make sense in a typical business where you are running well under capacity, have lots of competitors, and customers are unwilling to buy unless it's available locally.

The molded FG trailer business is wonderful right now and until one of the big guys, like Forest River, enters the business, they don't need dealers. But imagine if the RPod was molded FG! That would change everything!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Assuming the floor is solid and no damage, and no smell, a UHaul for $5k is almost a no brainer. You can use it for a few years and as long as you take care of it, sell it for what you paid for it or more.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #26

Colorado
Thanks for all the input guys!

Here is another option https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...147579709.html

I have family in MN that lives only about 15 min from this guy. They can go check it out. Also, he said he is willing to drive this thing to denver for us.

What are your thoughts? Uhaul for 5k that only has a heater, stove and hand pump sink. Or this 16 foot scamp for pretty much 9k?

The owner of the scamp said the thing is totally solid and he had the AC just installed by Scamp up north at their factory.

Let me know what you think?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #27

Colorado
Thanks for all the input guys!

What about this scamp?

I have family in MN that lives only about 15 min from this guy. They can go check it out. Also, he said he is willing to drive this thing to denver for us.

What are your thoughts? Uhaul for 5k that only has a heater, stove and hand pump sink. Or this 16 foot scamp for pretty much 9k?

The owner of the scamp said the thing is totally solid and he had the AC just installed by Scamp up north at their factory.

Let me know what you think?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp.JPG  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
If the Scamp checks out as described- everything works and the floor is solid- you could hardly do better. Better hurry...