Help me learn - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #81

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin View Post
Does Casita do the referral as well?
You mean they will connect you with an owner to see their trailer ? Yes as far as I know. We got ours from friends that we met at a rally.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #82

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
Well I ended up buying the Uhaul! Mostly fixed the door. It looks like it was ones "fixed" already. But they did a **** job. The bushing in the hinge is pretty warn out. Does anybody know where to get new bushings?
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #83

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Another owners adventure

Here is a tale not unlike your own, about the care and feeding of your U-Haul camper. This person documented a lot of his journey and even included resource information.

1984 - 1986 U-Haul Camper Home Page

I am not sure about that bushing, but check this current (6-5-17) E-Bay listing.
N2518 BUSHING, BRONZE U-Haul Trailer | eBay
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #84

New York
[QUOTE=likeair2me;643444]Here is a tale not unlike your own, about the care and feeding of your U-Haul camper. This person documented a lot of his journey and even included resource information.

That old site by Ray Horner is no longer active, And I believe he is no longer with us. Some of that info is outdated, and parts that were available several years ago no longer are. As for the bushings, they are not for the door hinges. Uhaul regularly sells off old stock parts in their eBay store, much of it with no description of what it is for or what it fits, as I think some of it nobody knows what it is. Over the past few years I did find them selling a couple parts for the campers, the door bumper and door striker. They used a door hinge made by Polar, and a similar hinge is still available, but not from Uhaul. In the repair manual is info on replacing the hinges, a couple of the screw holes location is different. I have a spare set of hinges where the pin was replaced with a bolt.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #85

New York
The original Uhaul hinge is a Polar #402. I think they were for a commercial freezer or refrigerator.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #86

Colorado
Yeah I think the replacement hinge is polar 412. I will see if maybe I can. Get the bushing by itself. Hinges are not super cheap.

Also, the axles that this thing come with are pretty. Rudimentary from what I can tell. The camper bounces pretty hard when pulling it. I am kinda guessing it's normal? There are no shocks on this thing?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #87

New York
It's a 30 year old torsion axle, so pretty tired by this time. There are no shocks. Ours is bouncy too, but since it gets little use now I'm not going to go for a new axle. The original axles use a sealed bearing hub, can not be greased or serviced in any way. Wheels are 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle, so not a standard replacement wheel like you would find at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. No easy way to install brakes either. Welcome to the Bizzaro World of Uhaul.

Edit; Looking at the set of NOS Polar 402 hinges that I have, I don't think there is a bushing. They are brass hinges, chrome plated. There is a nylon spacer for the hinge to pivot on.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #88

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
It's a 30 year old torsion axle, so pretty tired by this time. There are no shocks. Ours is bouncy too, but since it gets little use now I'm not going to go for a new axle. The original axles use a sealed bearing hub, can not be greased or serviced in any way. Wheels are 5 on 4 3/4 bolt circle, so not a standard replacement wheel like you would find at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. No easy way to install brakes either. Welcome to the Bizzaro World of Uhaul.

Edit; Looking at the set of NOS Polar 402 hinges that I have, I don't think there is a bushing. They are brass hinges, chrome plated. There is a nylon spacer for the hinge to pivot on.
Gotcha. I wonder if i could just replace it with something like this?

Ultra-Tow™ Stub Torsion Axles — Pair, 1000-Lb. Capacity per Pair | Trailer Stub Torsion Axles| Northern Tool + Equipment

The nylon spacer is what i am referring to. I think its warn out quite a bit on the inside causing the door to sag just a little bit.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #89

New York
I would not use those stub axles. Much better to use a one piece axle, like a Dexter or similar. They will custom size it to your measurements and trailer weight.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #90

Colorado
Quote:
I would not use those stub axles. Much better to use a one piece axle, like a Dexter or similar. They will custom size it to your measurements and trailer weight.
good point! I will look into Dexter.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #91

Colorado
Another question. Its crazy that these little solar panel on the roof! had no idea. Do they even work? I am sure efficiently on these is like 5%. Is it even doing anything? is there an easy way to upgrade it?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #92

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you do much off-highway or backcountry camping, Dexter also offers a "Flexiride" torsion axle with an adjustable ride height. It's not "push a button" instantly adjustable, but it does allow you to set it before a trip depending on where you're going.

I agree about getting a one piece axle. It adds strength to the frame.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #93

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you do much off-highway or backcountry camping, Dexter also offers a "Flexiride" torsion axle with an adjustable ride height. It's not "push a button" instantly adjustable, but it does allow you to set it before a trip depending on where you're going.

I agree about getting a one piece axle. It adds strength to the frame.
Whats the process of getting one of these? I assume they make them in different lengths. I would probably need a 1000-2000lbs one correct?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #94

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Whats the process of getting one of these? I assume they make them in different lengths. I would probably need a 1000-2000lbs one correct?
They are custom sized and built for each application. There will be some specific measurements you have to provide on the order form. Because of that they are non-returnable. The Flexiride axle, if that's what you're thinking, has shorter axle arms than the non-adjustable Torflex, so it will probably have to be mounted at a slightly different point on the frame to center the wheels in the wells.

There is some benefit to hiring it done (places that make and sell a lot of utility trailers are often good bets). They take the measurements, they order the axle, and if they make a mistake, they eat the cost of re-ordering a new axle.

The weight rating should take into account the fully loaded weight of your trailer with some additional margin. Too high a rating makes a harsh ride; too low and you may end up overloaded. I'd guess 2000# would be about right for a U-Haul CT13. Axle models carry a maximum weight rating, but they can be fine-tuned ("de-rated") for lower weights by reducing the length of the rubber cords inside.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #95

Colorado
Any idea on a cost of having this done by somebody?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #96

Arizona
Registry
Seems to vary quite a bit. It would make sense to get several bids. Wild guess, $700-1000, depending on where you live and whether you add trailer brakes as part of the upgrade. If you share your general location, someone here might have a good recommendation.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #97

Colorado
$1000 sounds fair. I am in Denver.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #98

New York
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;643504]If you do much off-highway or backcountry camping, Dexter also offers a "Flexiride" torsion axle with an adjustable ride height. ]

Is it Dexter that has the adjustable spindle arms, or a separate company that sells under the Flexride name and is actually the Universal Group company. The Flex Ride spindle arms mount on a spline so the ride height can be adjusted.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #99

New York
Quote:
Another question. Its crazy that these little solar panel on the roof! had no idea. Do they even work? I am sure efficiently on these is like 5%. Is it even doing anything? is there an easy way to upgrade it?
The original solar panel was only intended to maintain a charge and prevent the battery from sulfating when the trailers sat on the rental lots. Some people have installed larger and more efficient panels and controllers. I removed ours to fix a leak in the roof seam, never put it back.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #100

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Is it Dexter that has the adjustable spindle arms, or a separate company that sells under the Flexride name and is actually the Universal Group company. The Flex Ride spindle arms mount on a spline so the ride height can be adjusted.
I thought it was part of Dexter but could certainly be wrong. I didn't look it up. Either way, it is worth consideration as an alternative to a traditional, non-adjustable torsion axle.