Help me learn - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #41

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
So leaving towards not buying the Scamp:-/. Father in law said it smells a bit like smoke and was pretty dirty.

There was a Casita that popped up for sale just about 10min from our house. It's a 16 foot deluxe model. It's a 2001. Going to look at it tomorrow evening. It was on CL for 4 hours and the guys said he already took a bunch of calls. This is just a crazy market.

On another note. If I end up getting that Uhaul I mention earlier. Will I have a hard time finding stuff like wheels, tires, bearing and stuff like that?
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:17 AM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin View Post

On another note. If I end up getting that Uhaul I mention earlier. Will I have a hard time finding stuff like wheels, tires, bearing and stuff like that?
Uhaul sells the wheels in their eBay store, tires are a common 13", wheel bearings are a sealed hub unit and can not be serviced, a GM hub will fit, marker lights are a commonly used light but the tail lights are unique and not available. Other options can be retrofitted for the tail lights. All that info is on the Facebook group.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:08 AM   #43

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin View Post
So leaving towards not buying the Scamp:-/. Father in law said it smells a bit like smoke and was pretty dirty.

There was a Casita that popped up for sale just about 10min from our house. It's a 16 foot deluxe model. It's a 2001. Going to look at it tomorrow evening. It was on CL for 4 hours and the guys said he already took a bunch of calls. This is just a crazy market.

Can totally understand, cigarette smoke would be a deal killer for us.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #44

Colorado
Does anybody know what's a base price of a 16 camp new?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Help me learn

Assume you mean a 16' Scamp... Last I heard around $14-15K. That's a stripper with no fridge or bathroom. Figure about $2K more for the option package (fridge, toilet/shower combo, screen, and some other goodies). Furnace, A/C, and awning are big ticket stand-alone options.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #46

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, don't dally on that Casita either. We sold our 21 year old Casita in four hours, had multiple people who wanted to buy it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #47

Colorado
Thanks Jon! How would that compare to Casita?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #48

Arizona
Registry
Don't know exactly. Casitas have a higher base price but a shorter option list. I'm guessing if you compare apples to apples they'd come pretty close.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #49

Colorado
At this point i am really just considering ordering a new 16 footer. All of a sudden people realized that camping is fun and used campers are stupid expensive.

Maybe getting this Uhaul is not such a bad idea. If i can get it for 4500-5k and that will get me through until i order a new scamp.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Help me learn

One thing you'll want to find out before you jump on the 16' bandwagon is whether you can live with a 45"x76" main bed (I think U-Haul is about the same).

If not, consider (1) Scamp 16' deluxe (custom wood interior) models have a 54" wide dinette bed, (2) Casita 17' models also have a larger 54" bed, but weight and, especially, tongue weight can become an issue, and (3) Casita Liberty models have a larger bed area, but no separate side dinette.

If you're seriously thinking new, both Scamp and Casita have referral programs in which they try to connect you with a nearby owner for a demo. The owner gets a small bonus if you order, so it's a win-win-win.

Used molded trailers may seem "stupid" expensive (some are indeed priced optimistically), but if you sell later, you may discover they are "smart" expensive. My Scamp is the only consumer product I have ever purchased that appreciated in value. It may be a bubble, but I've been wondering that for several years now with no end in sight. Limited production and long wait times for new ones ensure a healthy used market for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #51

Colorado
I really don't think bed size is going to be an issue. Even that uhaul is plenty of room. My wife is like 5'5" and i am probably 5'10". I even fit pretty well on the bunks....

I am for sure going to reach out to them and see if they can connect me with somebody in CO to see their Scamp.

As far as tongue weight or trailer weight is not an issue. I will probably end up getting an F150 ecoboost soon. I have a v8 4runner right now that can easily pull 5k up vail pass.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #52

Arizona
Registry
Then you might seriously consider a 17' Casita. It is possibly the most popular molded fiberglass model made, widely available used at a range of price points, and relatively short wait times for new. Newer units have a completely encased floor, fiberglass above and below.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #53

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Then you might seriously consider a 17' Casita. It is possibly the most popular molded fiberglass model made, widely available used at a range of price points, and relatively short wait times for new. Newer units have a completely encased floor, fiberglass above and below.
Jon,

you think they are better than scamps? They are more expensive arent they?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #54

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Let me second Jon...my wife and I came from the world of tarps, tents and teardrops...after using our last teardrop for a dozen yrs, we decided to get something self contained and which you could stand up in.

I was leaning towards a 13'Scamp. It just so happened we were camped at a TD gathering where there was a 13'Scamp, a 16'Casita and a 17'Casita...after touring all 3 multiple times and asking about a thousand questions, the 17'Casita it was (I am 6'3/250#).

Found a lightly used 1 yr old 17FD, paid what new would have cost. But, it had all the factory options, plus most all the desirable after market add-ons. Called madea deal, drove 500mi to pickup and camped home..we love our 17'FD, everything about it fits us to a "T"...........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #55

Arizona
Registry
Help me learn

Hmmm... loaded question! You've just asked a Chevy owner if Fords are better!

I don't think there is an absolute answer. I know what's better for me. I know lots of folks love their Casitas. But the only way to find out what's better for you is to see both for yourself.

There are a number of old "Scamp vs Casita" threads. The "Site Search/Google" option at the bottom of the Search menu should turn up several.

I was actually thinking more about availability than quality when I made the suggestion.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Help me learn

Madjack, if it had been a 16' Scamp I'd call it a fair comparison. Except for the bed size, a 16' Scamp is closer to a 17' Casita in terms of roominess but lightest of the three to tow. For a larger person, a Scamp 16 has slightly more headroom than a Casita 17 and a wider aisle, and several inches more headroom than a Casita 16.

But I think for a lot of people, the extra 9" in the Casita 17 bed is the clincher.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #57

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Uhaul 13 and a Casita SD 17. The Casita is way better in every way, but they do have a lot of tongue weight. The Casita 16 has less tongue weight because of the axle location. We tow with a 2012 Ram 1500.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #58

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To the OP, there is a company on CO that makes them under Manuf. at the top of the page, then to little Joe
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #59

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
To the OP, there is a company on CO that makes them under Manuf. at the top of the page, then to little Joe
Can you please elaborate a bit more on this? Not sure what you talking about.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #60

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Madjack, if it had been a 16' Scamp I'd call it a fair comparison. Except for the bed size, a 16' Scamp is closer to a 17' Casita in terms of roominess but lightest of the three to tow. For a larger person, a Scamp 16 has slightly more headroom than a Casita 17 and a wider aisle, and several inches more headroom than a Casita 16.

But I think for a lot of people, the extra 9" in the Casita 17 bed is the clincher.
Jon, the bigger bed, which we turned into a permanent one with the addition of an 8" memfoam mattress and the swivel captains chairs for the side dinette did it for us...since we came from a teardrop, the whole thing seems like the tajmahal to us...for goodness sake, INDOOR PLUMBING
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote