Help! Need bigfoot size advice today! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Lots of members hereabout tow trailers with their "Everyday" vehicles. We used to tow a Lil' Bigfoot (13') with a 2010 Honda CRV and it never complained. In fact we were all over Utah just last spring with it. Just stay within the published limits.

BTW: Are you near SLC or Spanish Fork. I have a relative (Levi Jackman) on the This is the Place monument who also settled Spanish Fork a few years later.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
If Tundras are gas hogs, I imagine most similarly sized vehicles are also bad in that regard. .
Actually will be in the age range 2004- 05 you say you are looking at.

But I think you will find the gas milage has improved greatly for most vehicles including trucks in the past few years... actually more so in the past couple of years. Even so I have a 2011 V6 truck with a 6500lb towing capacity that gets about the same gas milage on the highway as my 2007 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #17

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Lots of members hereabout tow trailers with their "Everyday" vehicles. We used to tow a Lil' Bigfoot (13') with a 2010 Honda CRV and it never complained. In fact we were all over Utah just last spring with it. Just stay within the published limits.
Well, part of it is the strain, but also the fish gut smell, camp fire soot, muddy boot wearing, mosquito spraying, pine needle in carpet camping realities I don't necessarily want in my van. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H
But I think you will find the gas milage has improved greatly for most vehicles including trucks in the past few years... actually more so in the past couple of years. Even so I have a 2011 V6 truck with a 6500lb towing capacity that gets about the same gas milage on the highway as my 2007 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder.
Makes sense. Just not sadly in the market for such a new (expensive) truck. If there are 2011 trucks that can pull 6000 lbs with good gas mileage and under $12,000, sign me up!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Makes sense. Just not sadly in the market for such a new (expensive) truck. If there are 2011 trucks that can pull 6000 lbs with good gas mileage and under $12,000, sign me up!
LOL Let me tell you sister having faced the what to buy issue myself recently I wish that was the case! If there was such a thing I would have snapped it up! LOL
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
My wife and I started off with a 17.5CB and loved it except for its sleeping quarters. We just couldn't find an arrangement that was comfortable. We now have a 21RB that's almost perfect for us. I would think that some of the pluses of the 21' over the 17.5 for you would be ....

The rear bed is very comfortable according to my normally non-camping wife. There is even a curtain that can be closed for some privacy. Your two kids would probably be very comfortable in the front dinette/bed area.

The 21' has a separate shower over the 17.5 wet bathroom. It also has a little more room but not much. Cleanup should be a little easier also.

The 21' has a little more interior and exterior storage but again, not much more.

I believe the 21' also has a little larger holding tanks.

I didn't find the 21' any more difficult towing or parking. However, the tandem axles on the 21' seemed to provide more stability. Maybe that was just my imagination. But I also like the idea of the tandem axles in the event of a tire blowout.

We tow our 21' with a Ford F250, 4x4 which is probably overkill. Although I don't have any towing experience with a 1/2 ton truck I think it might be ideal with a 21' Bigfoot. We originally towed our 17.5CB with a Toyota Tacoma. It got the job done but it felt too light weight to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #20

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Just a few thoughts from someone with a 17 CB Bigfoot. 2 adults and 2 small kids will fit but it will be very crowded. What would you do when the kids get bigger which happens rather quickly. When we go camping with the grandkids a tent is part of the equipment.

As far as storage, if I filled every storage area with gear I would easily exceed the axle capacity of the trailer. I believe the later Bigfoots have a[ heavier axle but then the weight of the new trailers is greater so you would want to be careful how much weight you have on board. Storage can be a blessing or a curse. With more storage space it's easy to overload your trailer.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #21

Utah
(OT in my own thread!) I thought this was an interesting (though still anecdotal) analysis of the MPG for Tundras over time: Toyota Tundra MPG Reports | Fuelly
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
OMG.... The graphic shown in the 2002 slot is of the "World Famous Screwbirds" of Navy Antisubmarine Squadron VS-33, North Island.(San Diego) CA

That was first designed by an Ensign Macomber, were made when I was with VS-33 on the Bennington in Yokosuka, Japan in 1964, and are still in use.

Go Screwbirds.....
Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Utah
Bob: My family was stationed in Yokosuka from 1970 to 1975!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
(OT in my own thread!) I thought this was an interesting (though still anecdotal) analysis of the MPG for Tundras over time: Toyota Tundra MPG Reports | Fuelly
Will if you go with a V8 you will definitely pay for that at the pump!

Although an interesting analysis it is not a very good way of determining what your fuel economy will actually be. Way to many varialbles. Hard to know who is reporting highway vs city - you need to click on each person reporting to figure that out. Appears that many of those reporting are doing a fair bit more city driving vs highway. Funny as you can see the more people who reported the higher the average went up.... hummmm.... perhaps contains more highway mile drivers reporting.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #25

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
We tow a 21 ft Bigfoot with a Diesel Gas Cherokee 2008. We decided on the 21 ft over the 18 ft for several reasons. First because the 25RB21 has a separate shower and also because ours, is the anniversary version which also has a large storage unit on the front which is very handy for storing extra stuff, e.g. chairs and outdoor stuff. Although we have only towed with a over the top Hensley type hitch our experiences have exceeded our expectations.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
SRD

us
So, Camping Mama, what did you decide?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #27

Utah
Hi,

The 21 footer. BUT, and I would love thoughts on this, I thought it was a rear bed, but it is in fact the front bed with the recall!!

I still am buying it because it really is a great trailer and will suit us well, but of course I am concerned. Anyone with experience adding weight to the tongue?

It looks like it has had two extra large propane tanks installed, which might have been in part to help with tongue weight. Anyone actually get the official recall work done? HELP!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
SRD

us
I believe the 21' comes standard with the larger tanks and would certainly not have been provided to address the weight distribution problem. If you do a little search here and elsewhere online you'll find that Bigfoot added steel up front. It should be obvious if you poke around the front frame. You can also weigh the tongue to see if it's close to the generally accepted 10% of the trailer weight. If the weight distribution problem hasn't been addressed, not to worry, it can be corrected. I would definitely use this information to your advantage when negotiating a price.

A lot of folks prefer the front bed model. I think the bed and bathroom are a little larger because one corner hasn't been chopped off.

Tags
bigfoot