Help! Need bigfoot size advice today! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #21

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
(OT in my own thread!) I thought this was an interesting (though still anecdotal) analysis of the MPG for Tundras over time: Toyota Tundra MPG Reports | Fuelly
camping_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
OMG.... The graphic shown in the 2002 slot is of the "World Famous Screwbirds" of Navy Antisubmarine Squadron VS-33, North Island.(San Diego) CA

That was first designed by an Ensign Macomber, were made when I was with VS-33 on the Bennington in Yokosuka, Japan in 1964, and are still in use.

Go Screwbirds.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Utah
Bob: My family was stationed in Yokosuka from 1970 to 1975!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
(OT in my own thread!) I thought this was an interesting (though still anecdotal) analysis of the MPG for Tundras over time: Toyota Tundra MPG Reports | Fuelly
Will if you go with a V8 you will definitely pay for that at the pump!

Although an interesting analysis it is not a very good way of determining what your fuel economy will actually be. Way to many varialbles. Hard to know who is reporting highway vs city - you need to click on each person reporting to figure that out. Appears that many of those reporting are doing a fair bit more city driving vs highway. Funny as you can see the more people who reported the higher the average went up.... hummmm.... perhaps contains more highway mile drivers reporting.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #25

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We tow a 21 ft Bigfoot with a Diesel Gas Cherokee 2008. We decided on the 21 ft over the 18 ft for several reasons. First because the 25RB21 has a separate shower and also because ours, is the anniversary version which also has a large storage unit on the front which is very handy for storing extra stuff, e.g. chairs and outdoor stuff. Although we have only towed with a over the top Hensley type hitch our experiences have exceeded our expectations.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
So, Camping Mama, what did you decide?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #27

Utah
Hi,

The 21 footer. BUT, and I would love thoughts on this, I thought it was a rear bed, but it is in fact the front bed with the recall!!

I still am buying it because it really is a great trailer and will suit us well, but of course I am concerned. Anyone with experience adding weight to the tongue?

It looks like it has had two extra large propane tanks installed, which might have been in part to help with tongue weight. Anyone actually get the official recall work done? HELP!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
SRD

us
I believe the 21' comes standard with the larger tanks and would certainly not have been provided to address the weight distribution problem. If you do a little search here and elsewhere online you'll find that Bigfoot added steel up front. It should be obvious if you poke around the front frame. You can also weigh the tongue to see if it's close to the generally accepted 10% of the trailer weight. If the weight distribution problem hasn't been addressed, not to worry, it can be corrected. I would definitely use this information to your advantage when negotiating a price.

A lot of folks prefer the front bed model. I think the bed and bathroom are a little larger because one corner hasn't been chopped off.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Hi,

The 21 footer. BUT, and I would love thoughts on this, I thought it was a rear bed, but it is in fact the front bed with the recall!!

!
Adding tongue weight is simple. Just store a bunch of stuff under the storage space under the bed at the front. Toss your BQ and outside stove etc under there, along with camping chairs etc. Fill up the tongue box with all your hoses, levelling blocks, electrial cables, tire irons etc. It all adds up quickly.

The problem with a number of the larger trailers is they all have lots of space for storing stuff in the rear and a number of water tanks are back there as well. What some people new to towing don't realize is that for every item you store in the trailer behind the axle you are taking weight off the tongue. Need to make sure you have it well balanced. Best to take the trailer to weigh scale and get a good idea as to its actual weight when loaded up for camping and learn how to weigh the tongue weight seperatly to make sure you are running it with a tongue weight of between 10-15% of the axle weight - personally prefer it closer to 15% than 10% for a nice stable tow.

As was mentioned earlier it is also possible to be able to see if the recall issue has already been dealt with as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #30
SRD

us
Carol H is probably correct with the 10-15% range but I believe a tongue weight of over 500 lbs will require a Class IV hitch. Not all tow vehicles have this capacity and I believe special attention needs to be given to the hitch ball shank diameter. A weight distribution hitch changes this somewhat. Applying much beyond 10% will most likely but your tongue weight greater than 500 lbs. I recall the tongue weight of my 21RB was closer to 10% or a little less depending on the level of the propane tanks and holding tanks and it towed fine without even a hint of sway.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Carol H is probably correct with the 10-15% range but I believe a tongue weight of over 500 lbs will require a Class IV hitch. .
Your very correct!! LOL wasn't really thinking about the weight of the tongue on the trailer specifically in question or the fact it most definitely will need a WDH...
was think more along the lines of putting some added weight on the hitch fast and easy.

Yup needing a Class IV Hitch does indeed narrow down what one can use to tow the beast as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #32

Utah
Hi all,

So I called Bigfoot and then looked under the trailer and it looks like a thick steel beam has been bolted to the frame about 18" behind the front of the trailer. It appears that this was the official fix for the recall (at least I hope so), so I am feeling much more comfortable with the purchase.

Yay!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Hi,

lp with tongue weight. Anyone actually get the official recall work done? HELP!
Quote:
So I called Bigfoot and then looked under the trailer and it looks like a thick steel beam has been bolted to the frame about 18" behind the front of the trailer.
LOL So let me get this straight you purchased it sight unseen? & I mean totally sight unseen? No photos to show you the lay out ahead of time? I only assuming this as you have the trailer in your possession now or seem to!

LOL Girl you go!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #34

Utah
LOL, no I'm not that brave Carol. I looked at the trailer (it was advertised as a rb but was in fact a fb), then went home and called Bigfoot, then went back and looked at it at the seller's house again to confirm the steel beam was there, THEN bought it! I see that my series of posts is totally confusing though! It has been a very up and down day for my brain. Hehe.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
LOL, no I'm not that brave Carol. I looked at the trailer, then went home ad called bigfoot, then went back and looked at it at the seller's house to confirm the steel beam was there, THEN bought it!
Darn I guess I will have to unwrap the trophy I was going to wrapping up to send you for having doing the most gutsy thing done here in a while by a girl!!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #36

Utah
oh, Carol, I dunno. Still feels brave/fool-hearty to me to be doing this at all! We don't even have a tow vehicle yet! My friend is towing it home for me. LOL!!

My husband thinks I'm nuts.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #37
SRD

us
Quote:
oh, Carol, I dunno. Still feels brave/fool-hearty to me to be doing this at all! We don't even have a tow vehicle yet! My friend is towing it home for me. LOL!!

My husband thinks I'm nuts.
But a good kind of nuts, right? Regardless, congrats on the Bigfoot purchase. You're gonna love it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #38

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
But a good kind of nuts, right? Regardless, congrats on the Bigfoot purchase. You're gonna love it.
Well, I think it is the good kind.

Thanks, I am very excited.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #39

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I think you will like having the 21 foot.

I tow my 17.5 with an Astro Van V6 on long climbs it is working.

You won't find any real difference parking between them.

Buy a good brake controller .
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #40

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bigfoot 21

Quote:
Hi wise fiberglass forum!

I need to make a fast decision -- as in today if possible -- between a 17.5 foot bigfoot and the 21 foot.

Background: We are a family of four, kids are 5 and 7. We are mainly tent campers but want to get a trailer for both camping and rv'ing (not sure if I am making the right distinction, but I think of camping as going out in the woods for a couple of nights and building a fire etc. and RV'ing as traveling around from place to place sleeping in the trailer, whether on an off-road or in a campground).

I think know the basic upsides and downsides to each, so looking for someone who has BTDT with both or either size.

17.5 : smaller, lighter, easier to tow, easier to park. But smaller beds, less room, less storage.

21 foot: more room, bigger beds, less cramped for four of us. But bigger, heavier, harder to park and store and tow.
Are those pros and cons accurate? Is there is big difference in towing experience, parking ability, usability between the two?

I have been saving up for the trailer so the difference in price between the two isn't as important as their usefulness and how much we will enjoy using them.

Please, any advice appreciated!!

Cheers,

Camping_Mama
Your answer buy a Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed. You will have more floor space. The 21 front bed does not have any floor space.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot