Help! Need bigfoot size advice today! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #71

Name: The Mrs.
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
So I should me more precise in my description: We did have some power, just not much. We cooked with one or two of the lights on for about 20 minutes then everything started clicking on and off and only powering one thing at a time (i.e. either a light or the fridge but not both). When we would start the tow vehicle we could use everything, but obviously that was not a workable solution. After towing it home it had enough power for light, the fridge, etc, but we don't have a volt meter so I am not sure if it is really charged all the way.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #72
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_mama View Post
So I should me more precise in my description: We did have some power, just not much. We cooked with one or two of the lights on for about 20 minutes then everything started clicking on and off and only powering one thing at a time (i.e. either a light or the fridge but not both). When we would start the tow vehicle we could use everything, but obviously that was not a workable solution. After towing it home it had enough power for light, the fridge, etc, but we don't have a volt meter so I am not sure if it is really charged all the way.
Yep, that makes a difference - some versus no power. If the battery was that drained chances are it needs replacement. Without adding any more I leave you with your Owner's Manual. If one was not provide it is available on the BOCI website. buena suerte

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #73

Name: The Mrs.
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Yep, that makes a difference - some versus no power. If the battery was that drained chances are it needs replacement. Without adding any more I leave you with your Owner's Manual. If one was not provide it is available on the BOCI website. buena suerte
It did have the manual, thank goodness, though it was surprisingly light on details.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #74

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I tow my 19' Biggar (heavy like the Bigfoots.) with a 2007 4.7 Tundra. Tows great, no problems going up hills. I don't know what mileage I get and don't really care as I bought the truck to tow a larger trailer.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #75

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Fortunately some of us do care how much fuel we use, both for economic as well as environmental reasons. I think that's a leading reason why the majority of us are on this site.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #76
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:

Loving the trailer. The 11.5 miles per gallon will take some getting used to though.
The Bigfoot looks great! Congratulations.

The poor gas mileage is just one of the short comings of towing with a pick up.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #77
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The Bigfoot looks great! Congratulations.

The poor gas mileage is just one of the short comings of towing with a pick up.
The average gas mileage while towing my 21' Bigfoot with a 5.4L F250 on a 2000 mile trip was about 15 mpg. Not exactly gas sipping but certainly better than the 11.5 mpg reported by camping mama using the V6 Tacoma. I don't know the reason for the difference but my trip was mostly on flat interstates where the speed was kept constant at about 60 mph. The average gas mileage on the same stretch of road without pulling the trailer was about 4 mpg better.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #78

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A loss of 4 mpg is not too bad for such a large trailer.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #79
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A loss of 4 mpg is not too bad for such a large trailer.
I thought so too but as mentioned before the speed was kept to about 60 mph, actually closer to 55 mph since some of the trip was in California. I keep meticulous records of my gas purchases and find that consumption really suffers in stop and go driving, much more so than just pulling a trailer at constant speed.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #80

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bigfoot 21RB

Quote:
well, we took her out this weekend for a first voyage. photo attached.

The San Rafael Swell in Utah. Beautiful weekend, beautiful place, trailer pulled beautifully. But we had NO battery power! We must have set something wrong so that the battery wasn't charging correctly on the drive (fridge set to "auto" is our guess. But luckily we are used to tent camping, so we ended up using it as a very nice tent for the weekend, with intermittent power when we turned the truck on.

We will have it worked out better for next weekend! Switching out all the lights to LEDs, getting a second battery, and perhaps even a generator (though I am not psyched about that).

Loving the trailer. The 11.5 miles per gallon will take some getting used to though.
Check the fuse which is located near the hitch under the batteries. If it is burned out you will have no 12volt power. I learned that on a 1983 Bigfoot, replaced the fuse and everything worked. Nice looking trailer.
Chuck
Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #81
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
The average gas mileage while towing my 21' Bigfoot with a 5.4L F250 on a 2000 mile trip was about 15 mpg.
For sure. Some are better than others. My buddies Chev pickup with a small V8 did well towing a small 5th wheel.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #82

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
chances are your fridge is like mine...it needs to "see" DC voltage (ie 12volt power) in order to work in ANY mode....that 12V power runs the "brain" of the fridge. The clicking you heard was probably the fridge controller shutting down as it is probably programmed to do below a certain voltage to protect itself. It certainly sounds like you have dead batteries and they probably are not salvageable as they have been run down below 50% too many times.....an almost dead battery will still turn the lights on...that's why you need a voltmeter. If you plug your trailer in and after a few hours your batteries are not reading 13+ volts your charger is not working....the batteries are only getting charged (at a very slow rate) when you are towing your trailer down the road.......using the trailer like that for some time will turn your batteries into "boat anchors"

been there, done that
Old 03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #83

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
and I should add....

even after you solve your charging problem you may not be completely out of the woods....I charged up my batteries and they read 13.3 volts...but when I check them with a hydrometer they only read "fair"... this means that the voltage will drop off quickly as I use them....their capacity to store power has been ruined by being used as described by the DPO.....I'm shopping for new ones
Old 03-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #84

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
While you are shopping batteries, also shop for a plug-in digital volt meter or a Volt-Minder so you can monitor your battery voltage and reduce the chances of future sulfating of your battery due to discharging it to far.

And, if your coach doesn't already have a power chassis with a smart charger, you can consider the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 or PD-4060 power chassis as an upgrade.

Tags
bigfoot