Help Needed - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New York
Help Needed

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and to RVing in general. I am a recently retired dentist who is looking to go on a mission to treat the disadvantaged using a small glass RV as a mobile office and return it to a regular RV for camping with my DH.

I am interested in purchasing the largest molded glass RV made, but need to find a manufacturer that will sell one to me that is a basically a shell that I could custom furnish. Does anyone know of a company that has such a unit available? Most of the glass RVs I have seen have fixed boxes along the rear sidewalls that make placing a dental chair into it difficult.

Thanks for your help!

Roger

Old 05-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I'm sure other brands would work but The "Escape" Travel trailer might be worth looking into as i've read that the owner will work with you on setting it up the way you want.... They are just over the border into Canada and i believe the owners name is "Reese" they have a very well built trailer and i gave you a link to the largest one (not a 5th wheel)....give a call and see what they say.....Let us know the results if you do.
Joe

http://escapetrailer.com/Products/19FootEscape.aspx

Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

New York
Thanks Joe, I actually spoke with them yesterday, and after explaining what I wanted, they did not think that I could do what I wanted with the Escape. The salesman said that the cabinetry and storage wells were actually part of the structure, and that the glass walls by themselves were not self supporting. Perhaps I spoke to the wrong person...
Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Look into cargo trailer Enclosed Cargo Trailers at astonishing low prices
Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
The cargo trailer is a good idea as i have seen a few that where professionally done and where complete campers inside.
Joe
Old 05-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
EggCamper sells the bare bones model. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think they said that the Lil Snoozy can come as a m/t shell.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
EggCamper sells the bare bones model. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER
That is also one nice teardrop they make as i've never seen them. The bigger egg should work for the dentist set-up
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I took apart a trailer last year, first removing all the cabinets. With the cabinets out it was a weak structure.

It's true that the cabinets represent a significant part of the structural strength, as they should, particularly when you consider the goal is light strong construction..

Norm
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger O View Post
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and to RVing in general. I am a recently retired dentist who is looking to go on a mission to treat the disadvantaged using a small glass RV as a mobile office and return it to a regular RV for camping with my DH.

I am interested in purchasing the largest molded glass RV made, but need to find a manufacturer that will sell one to me that is a basically a shell that I could custom furnish. Does anyone know of a company that has such a unit available? Most of the glass RVs I have seen have fixed boxes along the rear sidewalls that make placing a dental chair into it difficult.

Thanks for your help!

Roger
I suspect you've may have thought about a small motorhome; it would be ideal for your needs. Plenty of room for a dentist's chair, 100 gallon water tank, 50 gallon grey and black tanks, bathroom for patient needs, 30 amp generator, air conditioned and plenty of storage. You could do your dentristy and still sleep in it quite comfortably.

Norm
Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #11

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Very kind of you, Roger O. We use our Uhaul to carry donations out to Pine Ridge Rez when we volunteer there. After emptying the donations, we stay in it until we return.

Could you modify your facilities, i.e. use a tent that you can carry in the camper to hold some kind of chair and use as your mobile office?

CindyL
Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
The Egg Camper would not be suitable, IMO, because the dinette, counter, and extensions are all molded in as part of each side, therefore not removable.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Lil Snoozy is going to be offered as a Cargo Trailer in the future as it does not require any furniture, cabinetry etc to support it's walls. This brand when fully equipped is $13,900 so a cargo trailer may be half that much. Something to look into for sure. It's cabin is over 14ft long and with the frame is right at 17ft.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #14

New York
Wow! You people are really great! I never expected such a rapid response. The idea of buying an enclosed trailer never occurred to me because I thought the cost would be prohibitive.

Could anyone recommend a good person to do the kind of custom work I would need on a trailer?

I am going to contact Lil Snoozy early next week, and see if they can help. As far as a class A motorhome, it is a great idea, but we really wanted to stay small and compact. The most commercially viable solution is a 5th wheel toy hauler, since the "garage" can be easily used as an office space, and it has a large ramp to enable handicapped access. But... we really wanted a smaller RV.

Have a great Mother's Day everyone, I really appreciate all the help and advice!

Roger