Help right a wrong!!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2003, 12:07 AM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
David

Thank you for those details - it proves yet again (to me) that our anger is warranted.

:m

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 12:56 AM   #42

Found the link

I did a search and found the posting for the trailer. I was right it was the same one. They were asking $2995 for it. Even though it says its a 13 ft. you can tell from the picture its a 16 ft. I am thinking they sold it to cheep and someone else payed them more.
www.Fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=406
I hope this works. I really liked dealing with Pat RV and I think it was Jesse who I dealt with. I am thinking that given some though the right thing to do would be make it right. I hope to return to Dayton in the near future from this lovely place. Let me know if I can help.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:24 AM   #43

Charles, I am just the "warranty guy" here. You might guess, however, that I do a little more than just warranties...

You can see that there was a major lack of communication between the salesman and Robin. The Salesmen, who may I remind everyone is no longer here because of such actions, took too many things into his own hands ignoring Robin and not being able to catch back up. He was doing what he thought was best, which certainly wasn't going to take care of ANY customer on ANY deal. The salesman was not in agreement with Robin, so of course the customer is the one that gets shafted (other than the saleman eventually loosing his job here). Communication is vital in any business as well as every employee following the rules. When there is a break-down in either of those areas, two parties will ultimately be hurt- the customer and the business. We trust our company's reputation into each employee's hands, from the sales staff to our service techs. That's no small risk to be taken (but one that must be taken) and sometimes changes have to be made to correct problems that come up. I cannot say that anything would correct what has happened. I can only say that this particular salesman will not be making any more business decisions for our company. The camper cannot be replaced and money cannot be handed out for every error on an employee's part. David could certainly come in and discuss this matter with Robin and perhaps some sort of restitution could be agreed on, like a similar price on a similar trailer if it were to come in, but I can't speak for Robin on this matter. I'm only saying that person to person conversation is the best thing for clearing up any conflict, even if there is nothing that can be done to satisfy both parties.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #44

If a salesperson agrees enough to take money. the own of the company becomes responsible. this is a piddly amount for the owner to risk loosing his reputation. He, the owner should have made sure with the customer he could not pay or didn't want this trailer after the deal was made. not just up and sell it then inform. that is the issue here . How can anyone feel safe to shop here. How can anyone feel like what they have bought will still be there when they come to pick it up. The company has no honor.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #45

Again, Jesse, I want to thank you for bringing us Pat's Camper's side. Your willingness to communicate with us on this matter tells us alot.

David, I'm glad you posted your side, too. Keep us posted on your actions. Even though this deal fell though, we consider you "part of the family." Hang in there!

From a legal standpoint, nothing a salesman says is legally binding ... until money changes hands (which happened here.)

For example, a saleman might say "I can get you that car for $3000. Give me a deposit to show the manager you are serious."

The salesmen then returns and says, "Sorry, the manager didn't agree. We need $3500." Meanwhile, they are just "holding" your check in the managers office.

You can't make a case that the salesman "sold" you the car at $3,000.

However, if the firm agrees on a price and deposits your check (or charges the deposit to your credit card), money has legally changed hands ... and the deal is done.

The car salesman can't say "I'll sell you this car for $3,000" ... then take and deposit (or charge) your deposit ... then call back a day or two later, and say "The price is now $3,500" ... or "We sold the vehicle to someone else."

Jesse ... I trust you are talking with Robin about all this. We really appreciate it!

Old 04-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #46

Charles,
Yes, I have been talking to Robin. I've really said all I can up to this point. You all take care and I hope that your skies are as blue as mine right now! Go Camping!
jesse

Pat's Camper Sales
"Where We Treat You Like Family"
1702 Brandt Pike
Dayton, OH 45404
937-236-4074

Old 04-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #47

My thoughts on this is that the company is held responsible for the employees action. The company should make right on the deal. If the employee truly caused harm to the company which is what I am hearing. The company should go after the employee for retribution. The way Pats RV is handling it is now makes the company look really bad.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #48

My feelings are that the owner is the one making the business look bad. The salesman took a $500. credit card deposit on a $1900. trailer. The trailer was to be picked up on the Saturday and the balance paid. But for the owner, that wasn't good enough. He did not wait until Saturday for David to pick up the trailer and pay the balance, No he sold it ahead of time, and probably for more money. The salesman should only have been held resposible for a botched deal if David didn't show up on the Saturday as had been arranged.

And the policy of having to pay for the trailer in full before you pick it up is ridiculous. When you buy a car, you put a small deposit down and then pay in full when they hand you the keys and ownership. Same with a house, small deposit, the rest when you take posession.
It makes me wonder what Pat's is trying to hide by demanding full payment in advance?

I feel sorry for the poor salesman. Pat's is trying to lay all the blame on him when obviously the deal was proceeding fine until the owner stepped in caused all the problems.
Nancy

Old 04-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #49

<<From a legal standpoint, nothing a salesman says is legally binding ... until money changes hands (which happened here.)>>

Actually, I don't think this is quite the case. There is a principle in business law known as "Apparent Authority". This is when an employee appears to have the authority to make a deal. If he talks like he can make a deal, and especially if he is able to accept funds as a part of it, he has apparent authority. And if he has apparent authority, he has legal authority. In other words, even if he exceeds the authority granted to him by his employer, the employer is legally obligated to complete the deal. He has the right to fire or seek retribution from the employee, but the deal is still legally binding as far as the customer is concerned.

This sounds harsh towards the owner, but it's the law. It sure emphasizes the importance of taking great care in the hiring and training of employees! One air-bag salesman can put a business in a world of hurt.

I certainly appreciate Jesse's participation in this discussion. Hopefully Pat's has more than one employee of his calibre. What the owner's motives were in this case we may never know for sure, but he has certainly violated a good many principles of good business, as well as several laws, in the process. Unfortunately, Pat's has an owner who evidently falls short of the mark, so the rot runs deep.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:42 PM   #50

Effective Nastigrams

Way up here in Washington State a letter to the Attorney General's office, with a CC to the rotten business in question has an almost magical effect. The AG may not even call, but I have had Compac computers send a repairman to my home within a week-- following months of runaround. And Qwest plunked down *two* hundred dollar so-sorry-for-the-trouble-we-caused credits on another complaint I filed.

Good luck.

Kitty