Help us make a decision Aliner or Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Aliner or Scamp
Aliner 1 2.70%
Scamp 36 97.30%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Rasing the Door Opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I raised the header on both doors of my former house. the cost was negligible, the labor moderate, the results fantastic!...
Here's the before and after...
I guess building code requirements will also effect costs. About 5 years ago I go an estimate for my then s.o. to raise her double garage door 12" and bids from local contractors (in SoCal) ranged from about $4800 to over $6000, including required building permits, a new door and necessary modifications to the buildings structure to stay within code. Not a negligible amount on her budget. Other areas may vary.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Chalet had vinyl, the Trillium carpet. Vinyl is easy to clean but cold. Both the dog and I prefer the carpet but it does get dirty. We can remove it and clean with our household vacuum but it is never completely clean. Given the choice I would go with vinyl and throw rugs that could be washed. One thing to watch out for is if you get a refrigerator, it needs to be high enough so the door clears the rug. That would not be something you could easily modify yourself. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #43

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Definitely personal. My only way to go is vinyl. Then if I want something warm under foot it's a matter of buying a scatter mat at Giant Tiger for 2$
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #44
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's a personal choice, we've had both. In either case we've always had two throw rugs, one in front of the stove/sink and one just inside the door. As well we have an all weather rug outside the door.

We use a crumb sweep like a manual vacuum to clean our present carpet until we get home.
Throw rugs are a good idea. We use a number of them too.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #45

If you have ever pulled up used carpeting in a camper, and saw how much dirt collected underneath, you would never put carpet down again.

I always opt for a hard floor (tile, laminate or hardwood) covered with runners and/or throw rugs, preferably the kind that can go in a washing machine.

COSTCO has some nice rubber backed mats & runners that an be cut to fit and can be hosed off to clean.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
In the Scamp carpet is standard, vinyl is optional at additional cost.
For a fraction of the cost, we replaced the main floor section of carpet with Pergot type vinyl wood grain flooring, this left the raised section under the dinette carpeted.
We now have a throw rug and sweepable flooring in the "kitchen" and entry for easy cleaning, while still having the warmth and comfort of the carpet in an area not exposed to the tracking in of dirt and debris.
I think this is a good compromise offering the best of both worlds.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with you, Floyd. Don't think I would pay extra for factory vinyl when there are nicer after-market products. Didn't think about doing only the center lowered floor. Smart!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #48

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
In the Scamp carpet is standard, vinyl is optional at additional cost.
For a fraction of the cost, we replaced the main floor section of carpet with Pergot type vinyl wood grain flooring, this left the raised section under the dinette carpeted.
We now have a throw rug and sweepable flooring in the "kitchen" and entry for easy cleaning, while still having the warmth and comfort of the carpet in an area not exposed to the tracking in of dirt and debris.
I think this is a good compromise offering the best of both worlds.

How easy is it to do this? Did you document the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #49

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
How easy is it to do this? Did you document the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
It's about a 2-3 on a 10 point DIY scale.
You must have a saw capable of cutting the boards to length
A razor knife to cut the carpet at the perimeter.
A scraper to remove the excess foam( a good pancake turner will do)
I used matching oak shoe at the edge and a crown stapler for fasteners.
After the installation, I used two coats of an industrial grade liquid floor wax to seal it and facilitate easy maintenance.
A small capful of wax in a bucket of water restores the shine by just wiping it on with a rag. (about once a year)
Start to finish...about two hours.
Unfortunately I seldom document much of anything I build(wish I would!)
I just start building and finish before taking notes.
Many patterns ,including a stone look, are available. I chose the light oak at accost of only $21 for the box....
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 010.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #50

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
It's about a 2-3 on a 10 point DIY scale.
You must have a saw capable of cutting the boards to length
A razor knife to cut the carpet at the perimeter.
A scraper to remove the excess foam( a good pancake turner will do)
I used matching oak shoe at the edge and a crown stapler for fasteners.
After the installation, I used two coats of an industrial grade liquid floor wax to seal it and facilitate easy maintenance.
A small capful of wax in a bucket of water restores the shine by just wiping it on with a rag. (about once a year)

Unfortunately I seldom document much of anything I build(wish I would!)
I just start building and finish before taking notes.
Thanks Floyd. That was useful. I am thinking of getting Vinyl and then cover it with fake wood (floating kind). That would eliminate removing anything, just cover the existing Vinyl. Will do some research
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Decisions, decisions

We looked at Aliners before buying our Trillium. Everything I said here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rvs-65066.html

applies in spades to a trailer that moves large portions of its outside on a regular basis.

We have stopped on the highway and used the porta-potty. Sometimes it is a long way between rest stops.

We have carpet and it was over fiberglass. We noticed that sand, etc was going through the carpet and scratching the fiberglass. I bought a box of self-adhesive floor tiles from Home Depot and spent all of an hour installing it. Now we can have either. We usually just place the carpet over the tile. YMMV

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #52

If you use laminate flooring get the type that is clearly marker "Waterproof". The smallest spill left over night in a throw rug can destroy some laminates.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #53

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Unfortunately, in a 13' Scamp adding a bathroom means giving up the front bunks. It will only sleep 2 on the rear dinette. I believe the OP is looking to sleep 3.
IMHO, the (standard) rear dinette only sleeps one.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #54

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post

2,000 nights, everyone with Ginny (lucky me) and never any thoughts of something different. We know it's narrow but for us our Scamp bed does the job.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
so your thinking that all the couples who own a Scamp deluxe have one of them sleeping on the floor?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Sleeping two in rear dinette bed

We did it for quite awhile, but then got tired of having to crawl over/be crawled over by the other person. So we sleep on both dinettes. We have the rear one permanently a bed and the front (smaller) one gets put up/taken down as the need arises. Always taken down for transport to prevent damage to the sockets the tube support goes into.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #57

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
so your thinking that all the couples who own a Scamp deluxe have one of them sleeping on the floor?
I do not think about it, nor do I make it may business. Just report on what I know, a 44" bed suits one person IMHO.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Crawl Over

Lucky me, Ginny hardly ever wakes up until dawn. I used to wake frequently until I started taking 2000 units of Vitamin D before bedtime. Hardly ever now.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #59

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Staying where hardsides are required (often A-liners count as soft sides).
Nope, Aliners are considered hardside trailers and are allowed in bear-country CGs where tent-side popups are not.

I owned a Burro for 3 years, have owned a couple of stick built travel trailers, and how have an Aliner Ranger 12. I just took my first camping trip with it this weekend.

It sounds to me like you really prefer the Scamp, and the only reason you thought hard about Aliner was the storage situation. But as you have gleaned by now, there are ways to fit a Scamp into a garage. It can be well worth the extra garage door mods or extra few minutes per camping trip to make this happen.

I've always had a desire to try one of these A frames, so now I am. Don't know if I will stick with it or not, time will tell. I tend to rotate to a different trailer about every 3 years, it seems like (not that I plan it that way). Currently I like the fuel economy (17 mpg on this trip @ 65-68 MPH, vs 14 mpg with the Burro @ 60-62 MPH) and being able to see over the top of the trailer while moving, and I really like the wide, tall window for seeing the world outside. My V6 Highlander hardly knows the 1500 lb, 5' high Aliner is behind it. But I can see daylight here and there between the panels, so I bet the skeeters could find a way in. And I am concerned about the greater opportunity for eventual leaks as the Aliner ages. Oh, and the Aliner's countertops are very low (I find myself stooping to wash dishes) and all storage is down low... not so convenient.

Most floor problems come from leaks that occur at the interior plumbing, window/door openings, and roof/wall seams. Choosing a Scamp eliminates the 3rd one on that list, but not the other 2.

You can have a microwave in a Scamp, it just might be a little harder to find a spot for it.

A Scamp will hold its value very well for resale later on. Aliner, not so much; I got my 4 year old Aliner for 2/3 of original price. A 4 year old Scamp is likely to bring 80% or more of MSRP.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #60
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Nope, Aliners are considered hardside trailers and are allowed in bear-country CGs where tent-side popups are not.
Also, unlike a pop up they only take 5-10 seconds to set up. The problem is setting up draws attention. We stopped at a grocery store in Wyoming to do some shopping. I set up and went in to use the porta pot. Here's some guy with his nose against the window trying to look in. Luckily the windows were mirror glass. I opened the door and startled him. Twenty minutes later I got into the store. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp