Here again.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Here again....

Have not posted in awhile.....just lurked and read for the past several months and picked up new information and hints. Still love my 13 ft. scamp....used it for several weeks from mid-Jan. to mid-Feb. as my lambing camp.....so much easier than staying in the warmer house and getting up every 3-4 hours to check on the sheep. Just opened the door, shinned a spot lite around....if anything happening threw on a heavy sweater and jacket, the old Muck boots, gloves and hat and walked around for a bit. If nothing happening back to sleep real fast. Used a small electic heater, set it on low to keep the chill around 50. Covered the Scamp with a cal-mark cover (my christmas gift to myself) as the flat part of the pasture was under a Black Walnut Tree. Lined the outside bottom of the camper with several bales of straw which are now in the garden compost heap and also under the potato and tomato plants.

The draw backs were: the p-hens roosted close by and went off all hours of the night and the roosters went off at 4 am.. The first born lambs discovered the straw bales were great to jump on and race around on. When i left the porch lite on i usually had several moms and their lambs sleeping close by.

Did take the Scamp out a couple of times last fall and actually camped....found i had enough clearance to go across my low water crossing without scrapping the concrete pad, could get it up my 30 degree hill to get to the gravel/chat road and if i drove slow enough to the pavement 5 miles away didn't get too much dust in the camper.

Next excitement is the Stud Ram Sale in Sedalia, Mo., the end of this month, a regional sheep meeting, and camping at the State Fair Grounds. Then my farm-mate is taking Scamp to Merimack State Park to be a campground host for the first two weeks in July. Then the first of August the Scamp will be living at the Texas County Fairgrounds for 5 days/......our ele. co-op is putting in a few more lines for campers so we can have better coverage 24/7 during the fair. Then.........hopefully, farm sitters can be gotten for 3-4 days at a time during the fall for some fun trips.

I would have posted pics of the Scamp during lambing but with 30 ewes popping out double and tripple lambs, who had time to even try to find the camera? maybe next year. Besides, the cows started calving in mid-feb.

Gotta retire one of these days....from farming.....but just had to have something to do when I did retire from regular work several years ago!
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have friends with a small farm and they love it. Disadvantage is that they cannot 'take a vacation' away from it, because they can't find anyone to watch over 20 sheep, 6 Llamas, 12 goats, and 30 angora rabbits... plus their 3 dogs and a few cats....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Imogene, great story. Those moms and lambs might have looked at your egg and figured any chicken that lays something that big would be a good protector
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Pam, getting good help around a farm, and especially, farm sitters can be difficult unless there is extended family close by.....but tell your friends it is worth the effort trying to find a farm sitter. Sometimes we come home to a train wreck, sometimes not but that can happen just taking a quick run into town to get a tractor part.

Donna, maybe the big white egg made those roosters cock-a-doddle-do even louder...something bigger for them to ponder.....like, who moved into the neighborhood and can produce something that big!
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote