Hey Escape owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Hey Escape owners

Do you have the tongue box? If so what do you use it for? I’m wondering if I’d like to have one. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Do you have the tongue box? If so what do you use it for? I’m wondering if I’d like to have one. Thanks

Why not use the Search function on the Escape Owners forum? You'll find hundreds of owners who have and love the box.
Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Yes ; Storing chocks , WD Hitch parts , leveling blocks etc .
The storage box is one on the few things on our SOB trailer that has lived up to our expectations
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 been discussed many times. Of all the options on the Escape, I consider the tongue box to be the most critical. Besides the usual stuff I don't want to store inside the trailer, I have the trailer's battery there too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I keep a spare 11 lb propane tank in ours in addition to other things listed. Also a small container of Charcoal starter. Saves keeping flammables inside the tow vehicle or in the trailer.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, I don't know of any Escape owner that got the ETI tongue box that's ever regretted it. Yes, some have built their own... but still...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
In addition to wheel chocks and leveling blocks and WD hitch parts, we also stash the bag of recyclables, the stick we use to help pry open our front window cover and maybe a few extra bungees. We could stash all that stuff inside the forward, driver's side hatch (there's plenty of storage under the bed in our 21) but it's very handy to have it in the outside/tongue box.

These things we mostly kept in a big bucket in the back of our pickup with our former trailer (Casita). It's nice not to have to do that anymore.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Does the tongue box reduce the jack-knife angle? I ask as I routinely manage to get even my shorter Scamp into situations where I almost hit the tongue with the rear bumper.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

Name: Andy
Trailer: Escape
New York
I use the tongue box for wheel chocks, the stabilizing hitch, plugs and extension cords, outside hoses, and anything else that I need access to when setting the trailer in place. It is handier than I expected and well worth the expense.
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Does the tongue box reduce the jack-knife angle? I ask as I routinely manage to get even my shorter Scamp into situations where I almost hit the tongue with the rear bumper.
Yup. I discovered that when I'm too tight the lock bracket on the 21 tongue box is at a perfect spot to crack the rear taillight lens on my Tacoma....

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Could be worse

Red Simpson cautions against too much speed and driving in bad weather
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #12

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Yup. I discovered that when I'm too tight the lock bracket on the 21 tongue box is at a perfect spot to crack the rear taillight lens on my Tacoma....

Or on my Tundra as Charlie discovered one day when I was there. HA!

But you learn to deal with it. I love the box. I would not want all that stuff stashed in either the trailer or my truck. One of the best accessories we got. (Electric jack the other one.)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #13

Name: Scott
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, I don't know of any Escape owner that got the ETI tongue box that's ever regretted it. Yes, some have built their own... but still...

I remember one fellow, last year, I believe, who posted that he had removed his box because he didn’t use it (which I could not fathom). He offered it for sale and someone with a differently sized trailer was considering purchase. Looked but couldn’t find the thread.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I'm grateful for this thread because it has made me re-think. I've been thinking that the box would be a wonderful asset for all the stuff I need to grab when setting up or emptying the tanks or whatnot. The little side hatches are ok but lifting a box lid would make it much easier to find and get hold of the things I need, and without bending over as much. The only thing I didn't like was the cost.

Now I'm thinking that the box is too wide, and a potential hazard to taillights that I don't need. The thought comes to mind that a shorter box, off the shelf from some store, should do the trick for hundreds of dollars less. It may be black composite or shiny metal instead of white fiberglass, but that wouldn't bother me.
Maybe something like this, from TSC: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...x?cm_vc=IOPDP2
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

Best check all the measurements before purchasing a box. The ETI box is built to the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Box Measure 1.jpg   Box Measure 2.jpg  

Box Measure 3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #16

BTW. No guarantee that your measurements for your trailer will be the same.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #17

Name: steve
Washington
Registry
box

we bought our 19' used and didn't have a box. we had so much stuff we were stuffing in the back trunk or under the bed! We had to have one. Batteries, hoses, cords, tools, BBQ, chocks, blocks, etc. It's full!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
For me personally, the front storage box is a necessity.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #19

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Mine basically stores all the parking and hitching gear, plus the generator. So weight distributing bars etc when I'm parked and leveling gear when I'm moving. If I had a truck to store all that stuff in the bed, I'd probably put folding chairs and our folding table in there instead. Definitely glad I got it - I'd have serious storage-space issues without it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I'm grateful for this thread because it has made me re-think. I've been thinking that the box would be a wonderful asset for all the stuff I need to grab when setting up or emptying the tanks or whatnot. The little side hatches are ok but lifting a box lid would make it much easier to find and get hold of the things I need, and without bending over as much. The only thing I didn't like was the cost.

Now I'm thinking that the box is too wide, and a potential hazard to taillights that I don't need. The thought comes to mind that a shorter box, off the shelf from some store, should do the trick for hundreds of dollars less. It may be black composite or shiny metal instead of white fiberglass, but that wouldn't bother me.
Maybe something like this, from TSC: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...x?cm_vc=IOPDP2
It's only a hazard if you jackknife the trailer. Otherwise, not a problem. Secondly, storing the battery in the box eliminates the battery inside the cabin, which is a huge plus to me.

On price, I think the storage box is an incredible deal. You get a custom fiberglass front box, sized and designed to match the contours of the trailer and the trailer's A frame. I think the price is cheap! Added storage is a huge plus on any of the fiberglass trailers. Sure, a standard trailer tongue box is cheaper. But the sloping front of the trailer and A frame, those generic boxes do not fit as well. And be sure to apply the currency discount to the cost if you live in the USA.

One thing I keep in my box is my bathroom/shower kit. My wife's stuff is kept inside the rig. Its an easy grab and go for me.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape