Hi everyone, - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information on traveling on the ferry to Newfoundland with a dog. He has
separation anxiety and gets seizers when stressed. I understand from looking at the site that you can't visit you're dog once you sail. 6 hours is a long time not to go to the bathroom. Has
anyone taken their dogs on this ferry? I would hate to go all the way from BC and miss seeing Newfoundland. Thanks for any and all information.
Marina

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
I'm looking for information on traveling on the ferry to Newfoundland with a dog. He has
separation anxiety and gets seizers when stressed. I understand from looking at the site that you can't visit you're dog once you sail. 6 hours is a long time not to go to the bathroom. Has
anyone taken their dogs on this ferry? I would hate to go all the way from BC and miss seeing Newfoundland. Thanks for any and all information.
Marina

Here's all the info. Between the pet page and the FAQ you should get all your answers.

Frequently Asked Questions About Pets | Marine Atlantic

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks Norm, I hoped you might know something but I wasn't sure if you had a dog.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:04 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mariana,

Since we retired we've had the no pet rule. We don't have a dog though we've had a dog and a cat living with us for the last month.

I did look into the Marine Atlantic pet rules since we have a some percentage of the NL Caravan that has pets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
We lived in NL for over 11 years and made at least 20 crossings with our dog with never an "accident" or problem. We recommend that you leave the dog in the Tundra where it will feel at home. To avoid any anxiety we gave him a relief break before reaching the terminal each way. In North Sydney there are grassy areas near the lights by the "Lick-a-Chick" and the NL Visitor Centre outside Port-aux-Basques is great when leaving NL. Our little guy never had a problem with the voyage time. Your decision will depend on the severity of the anxiety problem. The kennel stowage area is clean and you can visit your dog there but there are usually several "barker/howler's" there that can be set off by visitors and we felt that that was more stressful than the car. ..........Your call. It's beautiful there and it would be a shame to miss it. Good Travelling!
Seagull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks Lloyd, from what I've been hearing and reading, I'm kind of leaning towards leaving him in the trailer. With his bed in there and the curtains closed I'm thinking he would feel more secure. After traveling from BC, I sure didn't want to miss Newfoundland. Norm would never forgive me. Lol