Hi, I am new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hi

My wife and I just purchased our second Trillium. Our first was regretably sold about 10 years ago.

I saw it parked behind a friends neighbours house, asked if he wanted to sell it and a deal was struck...apparently his wife wanted something bigger.

Any how, we will pick it up next weekend as he works out of town during the week.

It seems quite unmodified except for a portapotty door cut into the sofa base.

What are peoples opinions about keeping stock or painting them up?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7443.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	11690

Name:   IMG_7445.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  40.7 KB
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7444.jpg  
Attached Images

colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Colinn welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you found us. I'm going to remove all your pictures, resize them and replace them back on your post. We don't allow pictures to be linked from other websites. Click Some minor changes from webguy for the particulars.

Anyway WELCOME!

On Edit: we've recently had the discussion on original vs modify here's one topic:
original vs modify

here's an older topic: What's Old is New Again or Vice-a-Versa, Keeping it Original?

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Colin, and welcome.

It appears it has already been modified. The drawer and cupboard below the stovetop don't seem original. An icebox or fridge probably went there originally.

So.. there, now you have complete reign to modify as you like without cringing or guilt!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #4

Registry
Thankyou for resizing the pictures. I will do the next ones correctly

In someways I like the fact that the walls are original but in other ways I would love to change the colour. As always, I will no doubt be told what is correct by you know who...

Thanks for the welcomes
cheers

Colin
Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
As always, I will no doubt be told what is correct by you know who...
You are no doubt referring to "She Who Must Be Obeyed"?

(Doug Mager is one of our members who refers to his wife as "She Who Must Be Obeyed"...)

Welcome, Colin!

Roger

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
HAY NOW, Roger!!!!!!! Be nice,LOL!!!
A simple paint job can very quickly get outta hand cost wise as the cost between a simple back yard roller job and a full blown, body stress crack fillin custom splash job varies considerably. I think firstly one needs to consider just what and how the trailer will be used, then decide how many pay checks you are willing to donate to the cause.

There is something also to be said for the K I S S sysyem...
K ~ Keep
I ~ It
S ~ Simple
S ~ Silly
Attached Thumbnails
downsized_pic.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #7

Registry
I agree with the wide range in prices for paint. we have agreed to keep the outside in the original gell coat for now. Clean it and wax it only. Inside, however, we will paint to cover the 70's green. A nice bright clean 'just-a-bit-off-white' colour.

I will also rewire it and I am considering removing the frame to get it galvanized. Pop on a new axle and tires and we will be ready to go. I am looking at a replacement axle with brakes from Standens in Calgary (which is $40 cheaper than the Standens in edmonton)

We are considering a trip to Alaska this summer to cash in on the strong Canuck Buck. I think it will be a much 'nicer' trip than our tenting trip to Delaware a few years ago. We spent alot of time eating in parking lots sitting in our lawn chairs and folding up wet tents.

Cheers all

Colin
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #8

Registry
Ya mean like THIS???
Attached Thumbnails
Backsplash___cupboards.jpg  
Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Glad you found another Trill! Looks to be in good shape.
With ours, I don't particularly care for the 70's look inside, but haven't done much yet to change it, except for converting closet to a shelf system, and mounting storage pockets all over. Summer is the only time I can really work on it here, and summer is just too short. I've seen some really nice (and inspiring) mods on this forum, both in looks and in function.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Congrats on the new-to-you Trillium and welcome to FGRV. It looks like it's Alaska Adventure Time once the sun comes up!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
[b]HAY NOW, Roger!!!!!!! Be nice,LOL!!!
I knew you'd find this, Doug...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Welcome from another Trillium 1300 owner in Edmonton.

We kept our inside original green because we have seen many inside paint jobs go bad after a few years...It is far easier to scrub gelcoat clean than it is to deal with peeling paint, that's our two bits.

Enjoy!
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #13

Registry
Brendadave:
.....as with anything painted, its most likely guaranteed to peel unless proper preperations to the surface have been done beforehand. Yeah, it usually takes a lot of elbow grease cleaning and sanding, but the overal finished product is very satisfying.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #14

Registry
I was thinking of using boat paint that is for fiberglass and the proper primer underneath.

I checked the frame and there are no welded on strengtheners as it leaves from under the fiberglass egg to the hitch. What are they made of? Can i just weld on some 1/8" plate on both sides of both frame arms?

What height should the top of my tow ball be at to tow my new Trillium? I don't want to have any 'hitches' when I pick it up on Saturday.

This forum is an amazing resource that was not available to us when we had our last Trillium.

Cheers
Colin , Heather and Tom
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #15

Registry
...yes, use the boat paint AND the appropriate primer to go with it. I did two coats of primer then 2 coats of paint, let dry thouroughly between coats. Also IF you are using a roller, don't make the same mistake I first made when I painted mine. DON'T use anything but a F O A M roller sleeve. Anything else will show the effects, looking like you used a textured roller sleeve (unless that IS the effect you are looking for.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
Welcome Colinn
Looks like a good project to start you off here. I have used marine paint on our Boler and got good results and comments. I Have primed and then painted two coats on the top half and have another finish coat to do on the bottom half if spring ever comes. Keep posting, we all like to be watchers of other people working.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote