Hi - I'm Pamelia and I have a 13' Boler!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Pamelia
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hi - I'm Pamelia and I have a 13' Boler!!!!

Bought it last Oct and now I'm getting excited to get to work on it. Needs some minor stuff (door hinge, window crank) and one bigger item - replacing an axle. Fortunately, my 80 year old father is more excited about having a project than I am!! And it may just be turned into a project.

I'll be towing it around NS and NB with my Mini Cooper Clubman .... think the Boler will have to be fixed up to go with the Cooper! Wish me luck, and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. I've already read almost everything posted!
Pamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Pamala. Congrats on the trailer. If you're pulling it with a Mini remove as much weight as you possibly can. Eliminate he battery, the propane tank, and don't tow with a tank full of water. Packed for an extended tour could over extend your tow vehicle.
Good luck
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I would first start with checking the owners manual for towing limits
I m kinda thinking your trailer weight and tongue weight might be an issue
I "had "a mini as well and didnt dare use it to tow a 13' scamp ( even stripped down)
Good luck... I couldn't find anyone that would evenly remotely install a hitch
Pics would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Pamela,

We have an amerigo 1973 and even with our Dodge "Grand" Caravan, we're stripping it as far down as we can for towing. Our TV (tow vehicle) limit is 3500 max, 350 tongue. We won't do a WDH (weight distribution hitch) as it seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul, and my husband Paul doesn't care for that philosophy.

Best of luck to you, these little trailers can sure be cute and intriguing!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hope that Caravan has AWD.
When you hitch up to a front wheel drive vehicle, you unweight the front axle. Some would have you add airbags to the rear, but that just makes it level.
The WDH moves weight forward to the front axle and back to the trailer axle. Nobody is getting robbed.
I got stuck half way up a gravel hill because I had my Subaru in front-wheel-drive. I had to back the tent trailer down the hill, put the Sub in 4X4 and take a run at it to make it to the top.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
MINI says max towing on a Clubman is 1500# with ~100# tongue weight (from the web).

If you keep from overloading with too much junk in the camper, you should be fine.

My 74 boler weights in at 950 lbs, including all our food, clothing, propane tank and such. Tongue weight is usually 50-70 lbs (I usually have to be carful to load our duffel bags of cloths on the front bench and our two coolers on the floor, at the front of the camper, to increase the tongue weight, otherwise she bounces on the hitch). Avoid just tossing everything into the back of the camper onto the bed!

Tags
boler