Hi-Lo campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
I am looking at a 2005 Hi-Lo 17' camper in my area and I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with these campers?

Any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.hilotrailer.com/
matt scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Matt, I don't remember anyone talking about being a prior owner of a Hi-Lo, doesn't mean there aren't any however.

If you don't get the information you're seeking...try the Open Road Forums at: RV Net, I'm thinking the Hi-Lo folks hang out in the Hybrid forum

I ran a search on RV.net for the Hi-Lo and found these topics: HERE

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #3

10-4.....

thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Matt,

Trailer Life had an article on the Hi-Lo in the Nov 2006 issue. Some owners have complained of being turned away from the ritzy RV parks that prohibit tents and tent trailers. The Hi-Lo goes back 50 years and with gas so expensive, it's worthy of consideration. I don't have any experience with the Hi-Lo.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
My neighbor has one-it's almost always low (unused).
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Matt, to each his own - but we owned one of these contraptions for several years and one of the best days was the last day when we traded it for something else. Maybe Thor / Hi-Lo has improved their quality but ours was a disaster in many aspects. Other issues -
The top bottom seal has many gaps when lowered or raised and when towing a vacuum is created causing dust and road dirt to permeate the inside. If you forget to close an upper cabinet door, lowring the unit for travel will take care of that issue. Every time you stop on the road and use the bathroom or refrig it will necessitate raising and lowering the top half which seems like and easy task until you do it a 50 or more times, then it just becomes a real pain in the posterior. Hi-Lo's are very heavy units for their size as they have a steel framework body for stability of the body structure - any potential gas savings on reduced wind resistance is negated by the weight issue of these units. Most rv dealers other than Hi-Lo don't want to take them on trade. I could go on - buy a Casita, Scamp, or some other fiberglass egg trailer, you will be a lot happier and many dollars ahead in the long and short run IMHO. If you got to have a Hi-Lo I would suggest used - many owners will be glad to sell although they may not admit it to a potential purchaser. Make a low offer - it will more than likely be accepted. Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #7

thanks for the info.....

Martin - thanks for the info. They must have really improved on the seal part because I asked that same question and the RV dealer discussed the improvements and said there are no problems with that.

Raising and lowering will not damage any cabinet on this unit.

Raising time = 12 seconds......not too bad.....

Maybe I should make a low offer and seeing what happens.....

Thanks!

Any other info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...If you forget to close an upper cabinet door, lowring the unit for travel will take care of that issue...
Quote:
Raising and lowering will not damage any cabinet on this unit.
I assume that Martin meant that if you leave a [b]cabinet door open, it will hit something and break off when the unit is retracted, while the dealer says that in normal raising and lowering the cabinets are untouched. I doubt I would make more than a couple of trips without breaking a door or crushing something... it would be a concern for me.

As for the [b]open/close time - 12 seconds is presumably motoring time, ignoring any required preparation. Also, use a timer of some sort and play out this scene: close the trailer. Remember you left the map in there and open it. Get the map (anything need to be done with the door?) and re-close the trailer. Hear you spouse remind you that the cat's water dish is in there, too. Open the trailer, get the dish, close the trailer. I've been back and forth to the Boler enough that I dread this scenario, even if it is a little extreme.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Matt, any chance you can rent one for a weekend trip??? Seems to me that would help to satisfy your curiosity if it will work for you and your family before taking the plunge.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
When I was younger, my family camped with a group - two of them had Hi-Lo campers. They really liked them but they had some disadvantages - one being they were heavier than regular campers.

When we would go into the grocery, they either had to put the camper up or crawl into the camper to the refrigerator to put the groceries away.

They didn't have any problems but I always figure if something can go wrong, it probably will and I don't want to have a camper I can't get up OR can't get down for some reason.

They seemed to get the same gas mileage as everyone else and had to have the "Mickey Mouse" ears (mirrors) like everyone else.

My father figured that if you were going to pull a camper, might as well get a "full" camper. He has a 13 ft. (can't remember the name but it was the one with "wings" in the back). It has the front kitchen and either two twin beds or a king size bed. Above the bed, you could put up two cots for the kids.

Edit - camper was a Shasta.

Everyone one met at our camper because we had the most room for sitting while still having the smallest camper.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Matt, when I was a kid, we looked at Hi-Lo (back in the '60s believe it or not!) but my dad got enamored of a brand called Ro-Lite that had a cap that went up and down and fold-down walls. We'd had a sway episode with a 16' Winnebago upright, and Dad was convinced that he never wanted to pull another upright trailer.

I will tell you that on RVs things that move, break. It's their nature.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Matt, I think this dealer or many dealers are in the business of tranferring your money to their bank account and I would not depend on an unbaised input. In regard to the seal issue I don't believe they have made any improvements based on the last new Hi-Lo I looked at. I would suggest you really inspect the seal and you will see many small openings around the door and other areas. The gaps are worse when the top is lowered and amazing amount of dust enters these small gaps into unit when towing even on normal paved roads. Don't tow these units on dusty or dirt roads. You still have the resale issue - I took our unit to numerous dealers of other rv lines and you would have thought I had a communicable disease. I tried various other methods to sell and finally traded on an Airstream - Airstream dealers have a lot of markup which helped us get out from under. If you leave an upper cabinet door open - believe me it will be removed when you lower the top - and it is easy to forget or leave one ajar. Suggest you ask the dealer to leave one open and lower the unit. If you got to do it (buy) - you got to do it -- I and the better half have been rving for over 23 years with six different units - but no more Hi-Lo's for us. Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Good advice is inaudible when contrary to the listener's desires.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #14

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Matt,

When we decided to upgrade from tent camping, I was very interested in Hi-Los. I liked the concept of a lower towing profile yet the space when set up. But once I started looking at used ones (couldn't afford new), I found they did not hold up well to use. Besides the poor cabinet materials, the biggest problem I found was they all had leaked somewhere from the roof. Thus they required wall and floor repairs too. So I gave up on them.

Then we found molded fiberglass campers. We've had to repair flooring from a leak and replace caps, caulk, etc. But nothing of the same amount of work required to repair the Hi-Los.

We bought a used deluxe Scamp 5th wheel and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Matt
We owned a 1985 restored hi-lo. we had it for a couple of years camped in it quite a few times it was the smallest hi-lo they made at that time not sure 13 to 16 feet, we never had a problem with it. it raised and closed easily, I never paid much attention to the opening or closing time I know it wasn't a factor and didn't take too long. it was a little on the heavy side we pulled it with a 95 chevy astro van 6 cyl. no problem. great little camper we liked it so much we up graded to a 21 foot hi-lo again it was a little on the heavy side we had to upgrade to a bigger towing vehicle but we never had a bit of trouble with the hi-lo. you have to use a little common sense when closing the hi-lo make sure you don't have a broom or something standing in the trailer or it will probably come thru the roof, we had a little check list we went through before lowering it. great camper and I would recommend it but of course everyones tastes are a little different, when we sold the hi-lo's we got a good return for our investment and had a great time camping in them.

Jack
jkornfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #16

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone! It has really helped!

We have decided not to buy the camper and instead set up a savings account for a new Casita or Scamp! Hopefully we can drive to TX or MN to pick one up as soon as we save some $$.

Thanks again for the advice!