Hibernation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Well, last weekend, instead of camping in the cold wind and rain, we put the Boler in the backyard, levelled it, and took all the canned goods and quilts inside.

Sigh.

There's only a few weekends this fall (and next spring) when we can turn on the furnace and heat-bulbs for a kids' playroom, other than that it's simply a matter of sweeping off the snow.

Our first winter I was all "veklempt" with longing and nostalgia, second winter wasn't as bad. Now I know the Boler will bloom again in spring. Say--- I should plant early-spring bulbs around it, that we can merrily crush our first camp out of 2008!

Okay, I am all cheered up already.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mines hibernating also.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Ours went into a semi-hibernation Sunday after we got back from the Northern Oregon Gathering. Semi-hibernation because I've drained the tanks, opened all the 'fridge & cabinets, and set the dehumidifier out, but haven't blown the water out of the lines yet. I'll do that when I retrieve the trailer and install some new stabilizers later this year.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My trailer doesn't get a chance to hibernate. Trip planned for 27-28th of this month. Maybe a trip to Tacoma in November. News Years eve trip someplace probably. Early January trip to Lincoln City. Then it's time for a couple "Discovery Season" trips, or maybe a long week-end to San Fransisco or a cross-country ski week-end. Who knows, something will come some place and the Scamp will tag along. Spring will be here before we know it, which means the furnace will run a lot less.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Mine is in my shop getting prepped for Elk season in a week or so.... Gotta take the aluminum wheels off and put the steelies on, check weatherstripping, etc. Prob gonna see snow on it Then may take it on a late deer hunt... Annnd if the store/resturant/tavern Carrie manages sells, it may get some more use. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Getting Lady-Bug ready for her long winters nap is an on-going process but have to say it is over for the year.
Got her down back and water lines taken care of and some of the covers on and inside cleared out of cushions and all food.
Just need to put support inside from floor to roof to help take the snow load and wrap her up nice and cozy in her new blue tarp until next April when the snow is gone enough to get her up front again.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
camper_snowed_in1.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... "The Silver Billet" hasn't made it into "Fibernation" yet... I am in the midst of resealing the windows...did the kitchy vent one first...new back black rubber gasket, nylon slider, and glass seal from Vintage trailer supply plus lots of rubbing with Never-Dull...Looks like new... added a 3/8s plywood ring under the Ensolite and screwed the window on through the pop rivet holes...hope that cures the leaks!!! Next up the dreaded door droop and the window in the door... there's just no end to it
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
To tarp or not to tarp; that is the question 8-). First winter, did not tarp - reasoning wind action would result in tarp moving on trailer and damaging fine (snort) finish. What is the consensus? Do you snow-belt types tarp your trailer or does it brave the winter by itself?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
Ours isn't hibernating just yet! We're headed to Branson this weekend. Plan on using the Scamp up to this
winter. Found out they're going to have some of the Corps of Engineer camp grounds open all
season down there. . One question though, Do we need to winterize it? We plan on trying to pull it down there this winter. Or do we just keep it plugged in and keep it nice and warm?

Ted & Vera
ted saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
On went the small wheels and into the garage it went. Am stripping off the lights and anytling else off the lower half that can come off. The door's in the corner and the "P" tank and the spare tire is on the shelf. Wife's got the new curtains made and is working on a fitted sheet, soooo I guess that I had better finish the rear bed and front dinette before it comes back out. have to get another coat or two of Brightside on the lower half also. It's a bare bones garage and I've got a little crawl space around the trailer. Now if this mild spell holds I MIGHT get some work done on it otherwise it'll have to waite for spring and that's not until late April or early May around here.

well I got the new curtain rods into place and put up HER new curtains. She was able to get some good quailty bed sheets on sale at Wal Mart so we picked up 4 or 5 for under $20. Now have matching curtains, sheets, pillow cases. Lookin' real good so far... Pictures in the spring when it has it's comming out party.
"Til then....
Ya just got' ta waite....
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
YUP! The geese are honking overhead, so it's time to start thinking about winterizing and the annual "empty everything out and clean" weekend (fall rather than spring cleaning for me).

A few fall maintenance items: I have a trip planned to an RV place to have them figure out why my 3-way fridge doesn't work on propane. And I have to replace my break-away safety string (which somehow broke this summer). And it really needs a good bath and waxing before the rainy weather settles in.

After that, I have a couple of weekends planned here and there - but will probably not use any of the water facilties in the camper. Doesn't get that cold here but to be on the safe side, I'll notch down my use of the features and carry water inside. Have to keep traveling though - otherwise, in OR moss would grow all over it!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I'm not winterizing just yet! The Lake Casitas Rally is a week-and-a-half away and then I'm going to the coast over Thanksgiving. I live in the Central California Valley and it does get cold here, but probably I'm safe until after Thanksgiving, good because I don't have a clue how to winterize! I've read about it and realize you have to blow out the lines, but I don't know how. I'm hoping those at Lake Casitas will show me what to do! I plan on using The Happy Camper over the winter (the best time at the coast!) so I don't have to lock it up tight. Yeah!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
not witerizing yet, but have removed most all the items that are made of or have cloth fabric in them (don't want to promote mildew). We still may make one or two short jaunts. Also in February we will be gettting back into the car show season and the tariler needs to be ready to go to that too. In any case, the mags need to come off polished and stored away replaced with steelies too
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
To tarp or not to tarp; that is the question 8-). First winter, did not tarp - reasoning wind action would result in tarp moving on trailer and damaging fine (snort) finish. What is the consensus? Do you snow-belt types tarp your trailer or does it brave the winter by itself?
Our snow is so heavy here (wet!) we don't tarp, easier to just brush it off the fibreglass, or wait til midday when it melts.

Having grown up in Manitoba, I recall the snow there as very powdery (dry!) but it can pile up impressively over the winter. I would say, if you can brush off the powder evey other day or so, no tarp is needed. If you might see a few days' accumulation, have a taut tarp, stiff enough for snow to slide off, not sag onto.

Now I'm all lonesome for those whipped-cream snowbanks, so crunchy and squeaky underfoot.

Oh, but that Manitoba spring snow, that is really heavy and wet, you don't want that on your FGRV for too long. Minus ten with flurries on Monday morning, sunburnt with mosquito bites by Tuesday afternoon!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Yes, but it's a dry cold....I think your memory serves you well. Winter is behind schedule with no killing frost yet here in the south; we're usually skating on the creeks by Halloween. I keep the snow relatively brushed off to avoid an excessive load problem. I think I will leave it "kneeling" to the front, rather than level, to assist in keeping the roof clear.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
What is "snow"
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Now I'm all lonesome for those whipped-cream snowbanks, so crunchy and squeaky underfoot.
Not lonesome for that sound at all, that's the coldest sound known to man

For Greg:
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
What is "snow"
You can come here in January----I will show yopu snow