High lift axel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I've noticed the phrase "high lift axel" used off and on in reference to Casit trailers. Could someone explain what that is about.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Hello Chris C

Most of our small trailers are built low to the ground for highway driving and to be towed by cars or low hitch vehicles. Anyone desiring to go off road or to rough areas drag body parts when they do. The high lift axles allow larger tires and higher tongue heights for taller vehicles and better rough road traversing.

A typical low axle is a drop type either spring mount with a upward bend in the axle itself. or a tortion type axle with a straight or upward slope on the torque arm. Mounting a spring axle with a streight axle would raise the ride hight, or reversing the drop axle would raise it even more. A tortion type axle would need to be replaced with one with a steeper downward torque arm would do the same thing. The various angles range from 22 degrees up angle for lowest ride to a 45 degree down angle for the highest ride without raising the frame with spacers.

Some links have been posted explaining this better than me but I dont know how to reference them.

Hope that helps, Others can give more detail.

Thank you
Darrel
Darrel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #3

Thanks, Darrel. All good points..........just hadn't thought about them since I don't already have a trailer.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Chris,

We ordered our 17 ft Casita with the high lift axle. Sets the trailer up about an additional 2 inches.

I remember those times when pulling other trailers, going up a steep driveway entrance to a gas station, dragging the bumper on the rear of the trailer, so hence the need for a little more clearence. More space from the asphalt also helps to insure that the waste valves will not meet an untimely end. Another benefit is better draining from the waste tanks to the sewer outlet. Even with the high lift, the drain elevation is minimal.

My take on it is that the factory should make the high lift axle standard. This is a worthwhile option. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Chris,
The original concept included the ability to store your travel trailer (TT) in the garage. The addition of air conditioners, or Maxx-Aire vent enclosures, to the roof increase the height to make garaging impossible. Some TT's have AC units mounted on the front to keep the height down. If garage storing is not necessary or desireable for you, then I feel the high-lift axle is a worthwhile option. Height was a deciding factor when we purchased our Casita. The previous owner had raised ours 6" with spacers between the frame and axle. We have to drive up a very steep street to get home and even a Casita with a high-lift axle would probably drag it's bumper. The blacktop has been grooved many times by vehicles with insufficient clearance.
Your investigations prior to purchase are well worthwhile. As questions occur to you please continue to post them, that's why most of us are here, we've all learned from others knowledge and experiences.
Start a personal notebook to help when you make final choices. Desireable modifications can also be included.
Enjoy the process!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #6

Thanks, folks. I appreciate your responses.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
If a person were to buy a trailer without an axle lift, what is everyones opinion on using taller tires to accomplish the same thing?

I am still searcing for a used 16' + footer, and many used ones don't have the axle lift. From what I can see on the axles I also think the axle lift wouldn't be to hard to do. But tires would be easier and most used trailers need tires anyway.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
If a person were to buy a trailer without an axle lift, what is everyones opinion on using taller tires to accomplish the same thing?
If you do replace the tires, you need to make sure you have plenty of clearance; both inside and above.

The axles come with zero offset wheels. That means they travel centered on the hub. If you replace the wheels, most car wheels have some offset so you need to be careful. Most trailers require at least 3” of clearance above the tire when fully loaded ready for travel. ...more is better. Inside between the tire and the wheelwell, I believe the space is 2” of clearance.

With the highlift axle that Casita puts on, you get just under 2” of additional clearance. And if you replace the wheels and tires with 15” (depending on the tire) you gain another inch. So your net height gain is about 3”.

I hope this helps.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote