High winds with a scamp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
Hi gang. We are driving home from AZ to CA today and the winds are kicking pretty good. Is there a max at which point our Scamp will take flight and best not tow onward? We are a 16 ftsd towing with 2010 ford escape.
Just left Pheonix on the I10 heading west.
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If you're not in a hurry you might want to find a camp spot until tomorrow afternoon.

There is a high wind warning in effect for most of Central and Southern California until 11 tonight and a wind advisory until 5pm tomorrow.

Some of the areas your going to be driving through are wind tunnels throught the Mts.

I live in the Sierra Nevada Mts. near the edge of the Mojave Desert and the wind gusts in the desert have been up to 55mph.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Be safe... that's what's important, truly. As is said, you can't fool Mother Nature.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Anything can be blown over. There's a place in Newfoundland where a steam locomotive was blown off the tracks, appropriately named Wreckhouse. We wait out strong winds. Life is short enough without adding unnecessary risk.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
My basic rule of thumb is "If it feels like you shouldn't be there, you shouldn't". That pretty much applies to driving in a high wind and walking down a dark alley.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The answer to the question has a lot of variables - big ones being the general stability of tug and trailer combo normally, the speed you are traveling and just how high the winds are gusting and the directions in which they are hitting the trailer. The right wind gust, at the right angle can be a game changer - even for much bigger/heavier trailers than a Scamp. As others have suggested if its windy enough to cause you worry or its just doesn't feel right then its best to change your plans for the day, as its just not worth the risk.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
On I-10 at the TX, NM border last year we encountered very high winds. The Scamp wasn't phased. However visibility was. Visibility was so bad I-10 was closed between the border and Deming, NM. From my experience in the South West you'll run into visibility problems before the Scamp will be bothered.

Watch what the trucks are doing. I would pull off and wait when the truck do.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
IMO the well-rounded egg trailers should not be prone to tipping from wind gusts, at least not nearly so much as a conventional trailer. But that's not saying it can't happen.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
IMO the well-rounded egg trailers should not be prone to tipping from wind gusts, at least not nearly so much as a conventional trailer. But that's not saying it can't happen.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We drove in pretty windy conditions today from St George, Utah to Beatty, NV. I think this storm system was spread out over a pretty big area of the southwest. We didn't have any trouble towing our 17' Bigfoot, but most of the time we had head winds or winds hitting us at an angle to the side, but not straight on side winds. We got an early start and stopped early too as the winds got stronger as the day wore on. The scariest part of the day occurred after we had parked for the day. We didn't even unhitch from out tug because we are pulling out early tomorrow morning. Sometime in the late afternoon, as we were sitting around in the trailer hiding from the wind and dust, a gust so strong came barreling along that I truly thought it might blow the trailer over. I've never expereienced anything like it before and we've RV'd a lot. The gust picked up a huge amount of dust too and visibility out our windows pretty much went to zero. I'm glad we hadn't raised the rock guard on our front window because of the winds or I think it would have been torn off. I was glad we had the additional weight of our van to help hold us to the ground. Oh, we do use a sway bar and I think it helps a lot in these conditions. Like others have commented, if you aren't comfortable out there, go to ground somewhere. Lots of rigs stopped early today to wait out this storm. Be safe!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote