History of Trail Mite?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
Split moulds are relatively common. Most large boat hulls are made from a split mould as it allows much more 'styling freedom' and avoids the need for a building high enough for the hull to be lifted over the top of the mould to get it out.

However it adds labour cost to split and rejoin the mould each time it's used and you have to work out how to hide the little ridge that will be found where the join was. For many split mould products the answer is to sand off the little ridge and then polish it invisible - more labour cost.

Frederick's comment that there is a rough line on the Fiber Stream at the point of maximum width confirms that that is where the mould was split to get the part (the body moulding) out of the mould.

I recently made a split mould for the bottom of a scooter tail box and it can be seen at the bottom of this construction web page. In this case, the part was laminated by reaching through the top and bottom openings. For a part as large as the Fiber Stream, it's surprisingly easy - once the first layer of glass is laid down and cured, you just stand on an adjacent section to work.

(species:nerdus fiberglassus)

Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Name: Ken and Janey
Trailer: Trail Mite sold :(
My Trail Mite has a seam down the center of the trailer.

KenandJaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Name: Zach
Trailer: Trail Mite
Having completely gutted my Trail Mite, and looked over all of the interior glassing I think that the Trail Mites were split molded. I can find no evidence of a seam, either around the belly band or around the middle of the shell. There is a piece of wood glassed into the center line of the roof, but I think this is just to add some extra strength the roof. Also there is a small ridge in the glass down the middle of the roof, like what would be left behind from a split mold. This ridge isn't visible on the front or back. My guess is that since no one would really see the top of the trailer easily the time wasn't spent to sand this flush. This could also explain why Trail Mites were only built for a year or two. In a competitive market, the added time it would take to use a split mold and the added man hours to sand the mold ridges smooth would have made a Trail Mite more expensive to build than a Burro or Scamp. However, being one solid piece of fiberglass means the Trail Mite has no seam that could eventually leak like the rest of the molded fiberglass trailers.

I would still like to find some information on the company, the only info I have been able to obtain is that there was once a company headquartered in Santa Ana, California with the name Trial Mite Inc.

zmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote

trail mite