Hobbies on the road? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
My passion for over 25 years has been the hobby of metal detecting, and when I go camping, I have two or three detectors with me...one for water hunting, one for land, and maybe one as a back-up; anyone else pack their hobby along on an egg-spedition? Any rockhounds or prospectors, birdwatchers, or arrowhead collectors out there?
After retiring 10 yrs ago, I did the obvious thing...started my own home-based business...what else !!!...selling metal detectors !!!
The Trillium gets packed pretty tight, what with detectors, digging tools, chest waders and such, but the upper bunk seems adequate to hold it all when travelling, or on a site at night.
What hobbies do YOU take on the road ? Where do you stow your gear ?
Joe/Peterborough/Ontario
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Joe
My first love is canoeing and I can't go without fishing tackle. Often camping means going where there's canoe water. So, I've got the canoe [one of four] or a kayak [one of two] on the roof rack, and paddles life jackets, bailers, throw ropes and a ton of fishing gear, poles,nets and other sundry items. The back of the Dakota is pretty well full up with this stuff plus tarps, propane stove, table top BBQ, dining shelter, folding chairs and don't forget to put in the dogs kennel, food, leads and ropes. Geepers, can I get the tonneau cover on? Oh yeah, there's the leveling blocks, jacks, water containers, propane cylinders and hoses and cords. What' you want to go too? That means extra luggage and your beauty bag, art supplies and an easle. Mabee it's time to put the topper on the back. Where's my hicking gear? Camera? I must have forgotten something. The binoculars mabee? Put more air i?. The tires are starting to sag?
Waddya mean we're draggin bottom? I haven't even hooked up the trailer yet.

Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Main 'road hobby' is playing my English concertina - it's very compactand stows neatly in one of the dinette storage lockers.

Here I am in a dockside municipal CG in Nova Scotia, serenading sea gulls with a few old sea shanties. If the squeezebox were invisible when I played, it would look like this:
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
When we travel to a new area we like to geocache. Using our portable gps, our laptop and our palms we find treasures hidden at great locations all over the world.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
My hobby on the road is Ham Radio/shortwave/scanners. I have a scanner mounted in the trailer and glass mount antenna for either the scanner or dual band transceiver. Also have an Icom ic706 hf 100watt radio and Webster FIBERGLASS antenna on the back bumper of the Compact II for all band use. When camped near trees in the woods I string up a length of wire for better reception. I camp in places where cell phones do not work and it's nice to have a way to help.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
OK, Joe. You got one of the birdwatchers to answer.

We are not yet retired, so our trips are limited in length. We plan our trips around bird areas, and often go back to the same ones if they're not too far (i.e., a holiday weekend). We spend the summers in SE Arizona when we can, and winters elsewhere in the desert.

We pack binoculars, spotting scopes (his and hers, we don't like to fight), tripods, vests, hat, and LOTS of books. We carry most of it in a crate in the truck for easy access, putting it under the bed at night. (Carrying the crate also helps avoid those "Ummm....where are my binoculars???" moments. )

Books go in an upper cabinet (over the bed) so they're accessible for nighttime reading. Oh, and the bird song tapes and CDs (you gotta have em!)--they're going on the iPOD soon. Easier to carry that way.

The great thing about this hobby/obsession is that there is always something to see or hear. Even if you've seen a bird in one place, you can always enjoy it in some other place. And you can sit and enjoy a cold, frothy beverage and claim you're listening to some obscure call/song/noise that no one else can hear.

Marian

Birds, binoculars, beer.
Life is good.
marian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hey Joe, Have done metal detecting in past (white eagle) still have it but not getting much use. Main hobby is string music, mandolin and acoustic guitar. Attend at least four Bluegrass festivals each year and like to just jam with others. Lots of fun. Store instruments on back seat of truck when it's not too hot. Under bed of camper at night.

Kayaking usually close to home, fishing and swimming.

To quote Pogo Possum " Sometimes I sits and thinks and other times I just sits" Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have the internet. sigh.

I usually walk the campgrounds or area I am in lots. I have two dogs that like walkies.

The main reason I got the trailers was to get myself out and walking after a serious illness. It has worked great and now I don't look at it as excercise.. I enjoy it, and so do the pups.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Like James, I too bring along the handmade canoe and the fishing gear but that is what I may do in the mornings or early evenings and for stowing it goes on the tuck rack but in the evenings I like to sit by the fire and play soft tunes on the guitar with rides nestled between all the soft sleeping bags and pillows on the rear dinette/bed (folded down in bed position) of the Lady-Bug, our 13 ft Boler.
On those rainy day my wife and I can spend hours just browsing stores and malls for hours.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Emily_2005_002_01.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	6671
Gerry
Here's one of mine
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
To quote Pogo Possum " Sometimes I sits and thinks and other times I just sits" Bill
Ah, Bill... I sure miss Pogo. Great memories of bygone times.

I enjoy photography and frequently wander about aimlessly and look like an idiot pointing a camera at mundane things in and around campgrounds. Folding bicycles have become a passion, and are generally found in and around my campsite unless I'm out spinning around somewhere. I have a cheap guitar that I play at, generally to the chagrin of anyone in earshot.

Some years ago, I read an essay entitled "The Fine Art of Porch Settin'" which, of course, sang the praises of settin' and takin' the world in as it passes by. Sometimes that's the most appropriate hobby while camping and traveling. A glass of good wine, good company, and porch settin' under the awning on a warm summer evening. Doesn't get much better than that!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
For me a lot of the time I have the Trill in tow is going to and from jobs that I do out of town.
So being on the road itself has become the hobby.
I used to just drive from destination to destination and now even a WalMart parking lot can be an adventure,usually is!
I have stayed in my clients driveways in South Florida which is very interesting and in odd little campgrounds through-out the mountains and just parked and camped too.

I also have the Trill. outfitted with Amateur radio gear what could be better than "Ham & Eggs"?

I also take a Bike wherever I go,Sometimes two and there is always a good ride waiting.

I would be lying if I didn't include the Internet and Photgraphy too.

I am busier than I thought.

Overall though the entire camping hobby is enough to keep me busy.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
I'm learning to do pine needle basketry and think it would be a great complementary activity to "porch-settin'" while camping.
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #14
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I have a lot of "hobbies" that I do at home. Far too many, most times. When I first got my trailer, I took many things along to keep me busy. I have found that taking my trailer out is my road hobby. I have yet to touch any of the things that I take. I still have the same book I took to read when I got bored or when I went to bed at night. In five years, I haven't gotten past the first few chapters so I keep starting over. I also retired my clunky TV/DVD combo and picked up a small dvd player. It stays stowed most of the time, too, but it's small enough not to get in my way.

I'm not really sure what all I do when I'm on the road, but I think I'm related to Pogo. Sometimes just getting in three meals for myself and walking the dog several times pretty much eats up my day.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I walk alot with the dogs with my camera in hand... I like to find things of nature to photograph....

Name:   MUSHROOMS.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:   DEEPLAKE1.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  25.5 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	LAKEPATH.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	6674
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Watercolor (painting). The "equipment" is small, fits in my backpack; very portable. I use small "blocks" of paper, 5"x7" or 8"x10".

I also always carry two hummingbird feeders in my Casita. They are very small and I don't put them out everywhere we stop. But, I always have them, in an old "mardi gras cup" by my galley sink.

And then, there's a little star-gazing how-to book that is always along for the ride...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

biking, walking, birding, photographing, canoeing (if I can figure a way to get it with us, now that we have downsized) and painting (acrylics and oil pastels); and of course sightseeing and animal watching, too! The bikes will be on the back bumper of the trailer, hiking boots for the walking, a few bird books and binocluars, now using a digital, may have to go to an inflatable canoe, some paints, oil pastels and canvas panels, a wildflower and anmial book and some AAA tour books and maps all stowed in the trailer and pick-up.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Geocaching for a daytime activity (Garmin 60CS).

Shortwave and scanner listening during the evening (Eton E1 and Uniden BC278CLT).

I go through periods when I renew my interest in astronomy (Orion 80mm short tube refractor and AZ3 altazimuth tripod). The tripod is the most awkward thing I travel with and it generally travels in the trailer on the bed, back against the rear trailer wall. Once I'm settled in it moves into the truck behind the seats. I haven't yet brought the 8" Newtonian anywhere with the trailer.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Besides the obvious (hiking), I sometimes bring my kayak, or if I'm at the beach - sport kites. Used to take a mountain bike but with the dogs now, I mostly walk with them.

Watercolor and ink sketching

Round the campfire - various little projects - the latest is a silent auction acquisition of a Native American Flute Kit - so I'm carving and doing the finish work on that (and then I'll have to learn to play it )
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
If you ever see me on the road, then you know where I'm a headin' or returning from.

Small streams with a fly rod are me favorite destinations.

Fred
Fred Bell is offline   Reply With Quote