Home to Complement FGRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Joe raised an interesting point about 'unwanted' older houses. My family's house would have brought $250,000 if located in the city where I now live. But because of its location in rural Michigan, it sold for just $73K when Mom passed away. My sister and her husband moved last year and are trying to sell their previous (rather old) house in a small town called Deckerville; I think they're asking less than $40K but no takers, because hardly anyone wants to live in that flyspeck village.

Land values might be similarly low priced in some areas. Most likely in areas far from big cities and with the nearest grocery store over 10 miles away.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Very (VERY I SAY) large metal building on some smallish acreage (5ish) next door to year-round resident friends. Build small but nice apartment in one end of building. Store crap, err, my valuable stuff in the building along with my Scamp/tow when "home".

Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Look for regions without excessive rules and regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
A few points worth investigating.

Most if not all communities restrict property owners from just parking a trailer on a building lot and living in it. Most even require building permits for sheds over 80 sq ft. Most will not allow you to live in a shed. Permits required for septic including details of home size etc. Most if not all towns, cities and states want to prevent occupants from turning properties into eye-sores and decreasing property values for all residents. If you build without a permit you may be required to remove the structure. All buildings must meet current building codes and be inspected before occupation. Civilized society does have rules.
The above is true in over-controlled and over-regulated areas where civilization is often found to be breaking down (many urban areas, especially on the west coast and in the northeast come to mind). In rural areas, especially in the South, as noted above there are plenty of places where government busybodies will still leave you alone to decide where and how you will arrange your living situation.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think it is a balance.

There are areas not far from our cabin outside of town with far less restrictive zoning policies and cheap land. There's an (almost) anything goes attitude that attracts militia and sovereign nation types, as well as Mother Earth homesteaders, crackpots, and meth manufacturers. If you want to meet your neighbors at the business end of a long gun, they're wonderful places to retire…

You also give up in-town services, like road maintenance, police/EMT/fire services close at hand, hospitals, internet connections, regular social interaction, etc. The lack of those things means less security and higher insurance rates. As we age, their importance increases.

Somewhere between the gated, manicured, HOA-governed lifestyle and the isolated, undeveloped, rural free-for-all is the right balance for each of us.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=Henry Smith;566544]The above is true in over-controlled and over-regulated areas where civilization is often found to be breaking down (many urban areas, especially on the west coast and in the northeast come to mind).
/QUOTE]

LOL or it simple could be in areas where people do not want to look out their window at the neighbours yard that looks like it belongs on an episode of Hoarders. Which is what happens in areas with no regulations regarding the storage of RV's and boats etc.

I have seen the yard no one wants to live next to in rural communities as well as urban areas .... maybe even more in rural communities where there are no regulations than in the Urban areas.

Sadly there are a lot of folks who do not care one bit about what they are doing to their neighbours property values by leaving old recreational equipment etc out in the front of the house covered in tarps. Pretty clear they have never read Real Estate Values 101. or it may be they don't own the place so they really just do not care what they may or may not being doing to the value of the property or that of the neighbours.

It would be wonderful if we could all find work in an area where you can buy a nice 50+ year old 3 bedroom bungalow for $200,000, so that a decrease of 5-10% in your property value due to a neighbour who just doesn't care what his place looks like is not a big thing but thats not the reality for many in NA. In areas where a 50 + year old 3 bedroom bungalow advertised as a tear down due to the amount of repairs it is in need off is going to cost you $1.3-5 Million! Add a couple of hundred thousand to the cost of it to fixing it up. Trust me you are going to very much care when the neighbour does something to devalue your property by 5-10%.

In my experience regulations that protect ones property values are very much loved by those who live in the communities were you are suggesting "civilization is breaking down". I tend to think of it more as a community that has chosen to put "Civil" back into the behaviour of some who where either never taught or have forgotten the importance of being a good neighbour

Yup it's a bit of a pain to have to live in a community that has restrictions in place regarding recreation vehicle or boat parking. In my area for example the trailer is permitted in a front facing driveway for 6 months of the year and it has to be moved every x so may days. In the winter it can be in the driveway for a couple of days as well for repairs or loading or unloading purposes. Otherwise it needs to be parked in the backyard or side yard or inside a garage.

The reality is that the free for all no rules alternative is not economically in the best interest of anyone who owns a home in the community.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #20

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
There are many properties in Arizona that might work for you. Friends have an RV lot they bought years ago in a gated community. They have a very small lot and the community has lots of activities. Many of the RV's are Park Models. Monthly fee is about $100. Out near Quartzsite there are many properties with multiple RV Pads and shop buildings on a small lot up to an acre or more..
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #21

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Rural free for all places can be noisier than town. If you want quiet, find out how much target practice the neighbors do. My area isn't too bad. Rifles are sighted in when hunting season approaches. Guns go off at night when a critter is unwelcome.

Dogs bark a lot. I live out in the sticks but I often use a white noise contraption for sleeping. Even the coyotes can be annoying.

If you have watched Red Green, the noises on that show, guns, chainsaws, etc. are real here. I have no idea about Louisiana.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #22

Florida
A balance between control and breakdown

Jon in AZ is right; it is a balance. I live in a town where there are no zoning laws and no building codes. We like it that way, as it prevents the inevitable "rule-enforcers" from getting local power. Other people prefer subdivisions with books full of detailed rules and regulations down to and including what color you can paint your house, whether you can have a truck in your driveway, or a fiberglass trailer in your back yard. For me, the balance tips to the side of individual freedom. For those who want well-controlled areas with lots of laws, there are places like Detroit, MI; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Baltimore, MD; and many others. Those places were bellwethers for zoning and detailed regulations starting in the early-to-mid 20th century. The arguments used to implement those controls were always "to protect property values". Me? I'd rather hang out with bands of wandering gypsies in tiny fiberglass trailers.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Smith View Post
...I live in a town where there are no zoning laws and no building codes...
Are you quite sure about that?

Even in unincorporated "rural free-for-all" areas of Arizona (which I described in somewhat tongue-in-cheek fashion) county zoning ordinances and building codes apply. Zoning tends to be far less restrictive and codes not always well-enforced, but they do exist. A friend's daughter and son-in-law are buying a house on rural acreage and they're having to rebuild the stairs because they weren't built to code (insurance and/or mortgage may have more to do with that than the county). I guess if you don't build anything, but just park a trailer, and that's a permitted use under the county zoning, the county doesn't get involved. Unless you want to put in a septic so you don't have to find a place to dump your tanks… then there's a perc test, a permit, and an inspection.

Is Florida different?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #24

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Are you quite sure about that?

Is Florida different?
Yes, quite sure, but I should have specified: I was talking about my home in New Hampshire. There are places there where zoning has been kept out (and even voted out of existence after it got a foothold). All of Florida is now closely controlled by some governmental authority. I remember when neither people nor land were so rigidly regulated. Today it...displeases me that virtually everywhere, people can be told how they are allowed to build stairs (for instance) in the privacy of their own homes on their own land.