Honda 2000 Generator Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')

Orlen...thanks so much for that honda test and if i have any further questions i will be sure to ask
I wanted that lighter (easy to carry) Honda 2000 generator so bad for the camper and this is the perfect excuse
Now i just have to figure out how to call this a christmas present to myself???

What a wealth of information on this site
thanks everyone and have a Great Holiday,

Orlen!......Down by your name you have 73 Is that 73's as in see ya' (cb lingo)

I forgot to mention that I have used the Honda generator to run a 13,500 RV AC and it did fine. Powering the furnace and refrigerator you described at the same time should be well within its capabilities. The light weight is also a real +. And you can use it to charge your car battery. Just chain it down if you run it outside to keep the resource reallocators at bay.

The suggestion to convert your furnace to use a plug-in power cord was to make it impossible to put power back into the grid. Once you unplug the cord and connect it to the extension cord from the generator you totally eliminate the that possibility and you don't have to worry about flipping breakers to bring your home back on the grid when power is restored. If you really want to get fancy about it, run some Romex from a L5-30 twist-lock at an outside wall (like the upscale RV power inlet) and mount another outlet box at the furnace and refrigerator. Then you can just move a couple of plugs to put your mission essential appliances on generator power. Of course that's a lot of work but, if you have frequent outages, it could be a lot less work overall than pulling out the extension cords every time the lights go out. I've been telling myself to install the wiring for years but so far I haven't found that particular "round tuit".

Once you have a convenient to use generator you will find many uses for it besides running your RV and powering your home in an emergency. Just buy it for your Christmas present. Think of the "excuse" or "reason" later. I have a half dozen generators (a couple are WWII veterans and weigh several hundred pounds each) but the only one I use now is the Honda.

BTW - 73 in amateur radio parlance is "best regards", usually sent at the end of a contact. CBers usually use 73s but that would translate to "best regardses", a bit redundant don't you think? Ham radio is another of my vices.

Hope the rest of the folks on the forum don't get tired of my verbose responses. Best of luck in getting your backup power system working with that new Honda generator.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Wouldn't you know it........ Ice storm came in and power went out in the middle of the night and no generator yet.....power just came on now about 10 hours later....gotta do somethin real soon

Bob.... thanks for the info on the less expensive units which i will look into

I like the idea you give with the plugs which will completely eliminate going into the house system and eliminating the chance of feedback into the grid............ nice simple solution and still using extension cords... also been driving semi's for thirty years and shoot alot of skip back then.
I see your from Golden Colorado!... Drove for "Coors" for the last 13 years and moved alot of "Colorado Kool-aid" LOL

UPDATE: We had a big power failure today and without a generator it got mighty cold............Sooooo I called Wise Sales today and ordered the Honda EU2000 today with Free DC Cables with free shipping and $8.00 Fed-Ex insurance is $879 Not bad at all.
Thanx all and have a great Holiday

Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote