Honda 2000i/air conditioning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Minnesota
Honda 2000i/air conditioning

I am planning on buying a 15 foot Trillium RV from California. My wife and I just purchased a Honda 2000i generator with the hopes of running the 11.000 btu. air conditioner that they offer. I have checked out the specs on both units and it is questionable if the single Honda 2000i can do the job. The air conditioner is a low profile penguin unit from Dometric DG-64312. I have heard conflicting reports ether way. Any input or experience with that issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you John and Debra
John Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hall View Post
I am planning on buying a 15 foot Trillium RV from California. My wife and I just purchased a Honda 2000i generator with the hopes of running the 11.000 btu. air conditioner that they offer. I have checked out the specs on both units and it is questionable if the single Honda 2000i can do the job. The air conditioner is a low profile penguin unit from Dometric DG-64312. I have heard conflicting reports ether way. Any input or experience with that issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you John and Debra
John:

I can't locate the air conditioner model you quote. The closest I can find is a Dometic low profile 600312 which Dometic says requires a minimum generator size of 2.5 KW.

There has been a lot of discussion about matching generators and air conditioners on the forum which you will find under Search then Google Search and "Honda 2000i + air conditioner". For example:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-37428.html

Brian
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: John Hall... I don't own a gen. but I do know that power requirements vary greatly. Our roof A/C is a nominal 8000btu. and they still recommend a 2.5 kw. gen. It's the startup surge that separates the "Men from the Boys". I always start the unit on fan first and let it run for a bit b4 starting the A/C.
The other variable with a gen. is at what altitude you operate it. Going to higher elevations will help to starve the enging of fuel, limiting the output performence of the unit. This is all info. I've read here on this forum.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi John....this is the same AC we install on our units. I tried to run one with a 2000watt Honda...it did not like it.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #5

Minnesota
Thanks, you guys are all awesome. I can feel the love (for eggs)! It is difficult to match the two units, many variables. I guess we will find out when we get ours.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm. If A/C AND a generator are really important to you... perhaps you should have it wired for A/C and look to getting something a BIT smaller?

Low Profile RV Air Conditioner-9200 Btuh Coleman Polar Cub
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #7

Minnesota
Thanks Donna, That is a very good idea.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
You may have a chance if you put a hard start capacitor on the A/C. My Honda 2K runs my 8K portable A/C without a problem.

What are the start-up amps and running amps for the A/C?

You may need to get a Yamaha 2400 which has been known to run some 13,5K A/C's with hard start capacitors.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have an 11000 BTU Duotherm air conditioner in my Bigfoot. I tested it with my Honda 2000 when I bought it and it seemed to work fine. But that was near sea level and when I tried it last summer at 5000 feet elevation, the Honda shut down after a few minutes. The Duotherm specs also recommend a minimum of a 2500 watt generator, so I wasn't surprised. The 17' Casita trailer I used to own had a Coleman Polar Cub air conditioner. The Honda 2000 never had a problem running that unit. The Polar Cub advertises 9200 BTU, but they have also been built with 7700 and 8300. I am seriously considering buying one since it would be way more economical than replacing my generator. If you are partial to the Honda 2000, then it would be a great idea to order your trailer AC ready, then buy your own AC that is compatible.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #10

Minnesota
2000i/air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F. View Post
You may have a chance if you put a hard start capacitor on the A/C. My Honda 2K runs my 8K portable A/C without a problem.

What are the start-up amps and running amps for the A/C?

You may need to get a Yamaha 2400 which has been known to run some 13,5K A/C's with hard start capacitors.
The A/C that comes with the Trillium is a Dometic 640312 Duo Therm 11,000 BTU Penguin Low Profile Air Conditioner. (Info regarding the unit should be online) Yamaha I know makes a great generator, but I am partial to the Honda red.:-)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #11

Minnesota
2000i/AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
I have an 11000 BTU Duotherm air conditioner in my Bigfoot. I tested it with my Honda 2000 when I bought it and it seemed to work fine. But that was near sea level and when I tried it last summer at 5000 feet elevation, the Honda shut down after a few minutes. The Duotherm specs also recommend a minimum of a 2500 watt generator, so I wasn't surprised. The 17' Casita trailer I used to own had a Coleman Polar Cub air conditioner. The Honda 2000 never had a problem running that unit. The Polar Cub advertises 9200 BTU, but they have also been built with 7700 and 8300. I am seriously considering buying one since it would be way more economical than replacing my generator. If you are partial to the Honda 2000, then it would be a great idea to order your trailer AC ready, then buy your own AC that is compatible.

Thank you for your info. I do like the color of the Honda:-)(everything I own is Honda). From what I can gather, the efficiency of the A/C dictates the hight and overall size of the unit. Some of the A/C units that have a lower power consumption are thicker and wider. Bottom line hight is very important to me. For storage among other things. Have you tried the hard-Start capacitor?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hall View Post
Thank you for your info. I do like the color of the Honda:-)(everything I own is Honda). From what I can gather, the efficiency of the A/C dictates the hight and overall size of the unit. Some of the A/C units that have a lower power consumption are thicker and wider. Bottom line hight is very important to me. For storage among other things. Have you tried the hard-Start capacitor?
I have not tried a hard-start capacitor. I have decided that I probably should avoid trying to force the Honda 2000 into doing a job it isn't intended to do, possibly wearing it out sooner than necessary. I have been looking at the Honda 3000, but at two thousand dollars and a much greater weight I don't really want to go that route. In another of my former trailers, I bought a Coleman Power Saver air conditioner that was 11000 BTU but was quite within the capability of the Honda 2000. I bought it directly from the manufacturer. As to your height considerations, I haven't really looked at those stats. My trailer is in a large tractor barn with a very high door. If you research RV air conditioners online, there should be dimensions listed.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To echo Donna, Coleman Polar Cub will run off a the Honda 2000. Rv.net has many threads on this. It would be handy if trillium would install this for you. You might be able to buy it and have it shipped to their shop. Cheers.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check this article out. The Cummins Onan P3200ie. A subaru engine, made in Japan and far less expensive than a Honda.

Cummins Onan Portable Generators

I have one and it is quiet and powers everything in the camper. I also connect it to the house in the winter as a backup power source.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #15

Minnesota
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Check this article out. The Cummins Onan P3200ie. A subaru engine, made in Japan and far less expensive than a Honda.

Cummins Onan Portable Generators

I have one and it is quiet and powers everything in the camper. I also connect it to the house in the winter as a backup power source.
Thanks for your input Darwin. I just cant. Every thing I own that requires gas is powerd by Honda. (plus I am partial to the color)
John and Debra