Honda Letter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Honda Letter

I wrote a rather long letter to Honda America 6 days ago about our travels in our Honda and our need to replace our Honda after 10 years of happy motoring.

Today I received a call from their marketing department concerning my 4 page letter. The Honda representative thoroughly understood the letter, about our need for a Honda with manual transmission, desire for a diesel and the low 'marketing' tow rating for North America.

I know first readers generally don't have a lot of decision making ability but she promised, as I had asked in the letter, to move it up the ladder.

I also plan to follow up with a letter to the President of Honda America.

I am of course impressed by the amazingly fast response by their representative who had thoroughly read my letter and of course wished she was "on the road".

Life is about planting good seeds, hoping a few will take root.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I respect the effort you are trying to do here with the letter.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Florida
It's nice to know someone at Honda is listening.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Corporations that listen to their customers usually are successful businesses . Too many businesses think customers are a liability and not an asset . Good luck Norm I hope you get a response that answers your questions
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is a great way to have change or make a change, plant seeds.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
what issues have caused your decision to replace the Honda? We recently took ours in for a starter replacement that I just didn't want to do. They found several other problems, so we had them fix those too. Being a retired truck mechanic I felt kind of bad about not doing the repairs myself, but these newer cars are not my thing. I'm OK with my vintage cars & trucks, but the dealer can do the newer vehicles better.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
what issues have caused your decision to replace the Honda? We recently took ours in for a starter replacement that I just didn't want to do. They found several other problems, so we had them fix those too. Being a retired truck mechanic I felt kind of bad about not doing the repairs myself, but these newer cars are not my thing. I'm OK with my vintage cars & trucks, but the dealer can do the newer vehicles better.
Not many passenger cars can last a million miles, trucks are expected to go a million then rebuild and go another.
I agree with the newer cars, I don't have the tools to trouble shoot all the systems involved.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #8

Florida
Mary and Bob,

When we bought our Honda CRV, almost 10 years ago, we planned to replace it after 10 years. Basically we have only replaced a thermostat and one of the radiator fans. Generally we do not bring our Honda in for service. We do have the oil changed, but not by Honda using the local speed oil change outfits. We did have Honda replace the spark plugs at 150,000, change the transmission fluid once and the rear differential fluid 3 times.

We'll be approaching 225,000 miles by the time we get home and head off to Newfoundland. The clutch is original. We have considered replacing the clutch and keep driving it until it stops.

I am begging Honda for a manual transmission CRV, of course I'm willing to pay.

We are hedging and may not get a new one but I have to be sure not to leave Ginny alone with the Honda Sales staff.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
225,000 is probably a good point for replacement considering how you use your Honda. Besides needing a starter, ours needed a strut, spark plugs, trans service, tie rod ends, ball joint boots, sway bar links, axle seal, some exhaust hardware, and catalytic converter heat shield, and the check engine light was on because of a problem with the evap canister, plus some recall item we had been notified about. The dealer had it on the lift so I could see all this stuff. Oil & filter changes I do myself, but I'm not anxious to do much else on this car. Mary loves the car, but I would like a larger tow vehicle and at some point move up to a bigger trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I have a 2005 Honda Element with a 252,000 miles on it, best car I've ever had. I use it in my business about 8 months of the year. Hope to keep mileage to around 10k a year and drive it forever. It's sitting home in the garage waiting for me to come home in the Spring. I've done very little besides oil changes and consumable parts.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
MC1

Ontario
Our 1st Nissan Quest had 300,000 miles on it and was 16 years old when it was broad sided by an aggressive women driver. The van was written of but still had the original auto tranny that worked fine at that time. I changed the fluid twice in 16 years and that Van towed our 4,500lb trailer for a number of years.

Many automatics are strong performers these days and the ones with 5 to 9 speeds have positive benefits.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Woman driver, eh?<_<
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Woman driver, eh?<_<
LOL, yes Glenn and she also had the nerve to say that I slammed into the front of her car with the side of my van. Note I was was stopped at the time of the collision.
Attached Thumbnails
002 Quest hit.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We own a Honda mini van with over 225,000 miles on it. We call it the dumpster mobile. We used it to move everything from our last home to this one, except for an upright freezer and a washer and dryer.

We bought another car for my husband to drive everyday just so we can keep the mini van on the road for moving the occasional thing that won't fit into a car and for when we need extra seating for our kids and grandkids to go someplace together in one vehicle.

It will be a sad day when this one goes on to mini van heaven.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mary and Bob,

When we bought our Honda CRV, almost 10 years ago, we planned to replace it after 10 years. Basically we have only replaced a thermostat and one of the radiator fans. Generally we do not bring our Honda in for service. We do have the oil changed, but not by Honda using the local speed oil change outfits. We did have Honda replace the spark plugs at 150,000, change the transmission fluid once and the rear differential fluid 3 times.

We'll be approaching 225,000 miles by the time we get home and head off to Newfoundland. The clutch is original. We have considered replacing the clutch and keep driving it until it stops.

I am begging Honda for a manual transmission CRV, of course I'm willing to pay.

We are hedging and may not get a new one but I have to be sure not to leave Ginny alone with the Honda Sales staff.
Correct me if I'm wrong but your car hasn't seen NH winters, i.e. salt. If there's no rust why not have the car rebuilt? I'm sure it would be cheaper than a new one and you'd have exactly what you want. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #16

Florida
Rebuild

To keep our 2004 CRV has been a consideration.

Our local family in NH and CT has 6 or 7 CRVs and even with the heavily salted rust none seem to be the worse for it. It seems the manufacturers have conquered rust. Of course our CRV has seen snow bur not too much.

I'm an anti-rust person and the underneath of the CRV is black. I even coat the exhaust system with high temp black to make me feel good.

My major concern is of course the clutch.

We have gotten rid of all our previous Hondas to young relatives who continued to drive them to end of life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Woman driver, eh?<_<
LOL and imagine that an aggressive one to boot! Who would have thought it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote