Honda Pilot towing capacity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
What is the weight of the trailer, and the tongue weight? Next look in your owners manual or look on line to see what the rating of the tow vehicle is and the tongue weight rating is.
Also check the vehicles GVWR its another important number to know. You could have a trailer that is under the total tow spec of the vehicle but with the trailers tongue weight, passengers and gear in the vehicle yo can be well over the GVWR.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Honda spells it all out in excruciating detail in the manual. There's a chart showing how your towing capacity decreases as you load up the vehicle.
Here's a sample from my 2011 Pilot manual:
Attachment 90665
The non-linearity in the chart reveals that Honda is not only factoring in the GCWR but also the GAWR of the rear axle.

The owner's manual is always the place to start. I'm grateful that today you can download and read the owner's manual for almost any common vehicle before you visit a showroom.
Love the chart. This is so hard to get many folks to understand, it seems to me. The FBRV draws so many people with compact type vehicles with minimalistic towing abilities and there are too many voices proclaiming, "I've towed my XXX with my XXXX and I've had no problem". That chart is terrific in showing how weight in the tow vehicle effects things. Thanks so much for posting it.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
One more factor to consider: the longer your tow vehicle's wheelbase, the more stable the rig will handle. A 111" wheelbase is the same as my old 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and twin to the Ford Explorer. I towed an '05 23' Rockwood trailer, about 3400 lbs advertised dry weight, for a couple of years with the Mountaineer, and without the Equal-i-zer hitch to stop sway it felt very squirrelly. Short wheelbase + long trailer = white knuckle handling.

Beyond that, I agree that this TT is FAR too heavy and has FAR too much hitch weight for a Pilot.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Depending on how the truck is equipped, it might not be capable either.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Honda Pilot towing capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
The GCWR of the 2016 Pilot is on page 638 of the owner's manual, the 2011 GCWR is found on page 538 of the owner's manual....
Rather absurd, when you think about it, that the owner's manual for a motor vehicle runs over 600 pages. Of course, at least a third of mine pertains to the infotainment system I DON'T have. Just resetting the maintenance reminder system requires two full pages. Turn the ignition, push and hold a button, click your heels three times, genuflect to the Honda gods... something like that...
Old 11-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Rather absurd, when you think about it, that the owner's manual for a motor vehicle runs over 600 pages. Of course, at least a third of mine pertains to the infotainment system I DON'T have. Just resetting the maintenance reminder system requires something like two full pages. Turn the ignition, push and hold a button, click your heels three times, genuflect to the Honda gods... something like that...

You got that right Jon, they are way to long but I did find one thing interesting in mine for the Rangers night time p/u cargo box lights. It told me what the bulb # was but didn't have one word in it to tell anybody how to turn them on. BTW, the dashboard dimmer switch turned all the way up controls them.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
This blog is fiberglass

This may be a better blog:

iRV2 Forums

Stude, my Outback is rated at 2700lbs. with the CVT trannie.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Depending on how the truck is equipped, it might not be capable either.
VERY true, the numbers re the GVWR can change big time on every truck - even the ones of the same make and name depending on its trim level, if its a crew cab, king cab or extended cab or short or long box, 4wd or 2wd or if it has a tow package or no tow package.

Lots of folks seem to like to forget that they drop the trucks tongue weight carrying capacity by about 200lbs by simple putting a topper on the back of it. Never mind the weight of the generator, extra can of fuel, pop up shelter, chairs, BQ, bikes etc that may have been tossed into the bed of the truck.

For those who have taken the time to take a look at the GCWR spec on their vehicle that is another number that is a total game changer as to what one can actually tow & stay within the vehicle manufactures specs. I know while looking for my future dream trailer that number gave me good reason to have to rethink my dream if I wanted to do it with the truck I already own.

What a vehicle is rated to safely tow by the manufacturer is unfortunately not determined simple by reading the basic tow and tongue weight spec.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Just noticed that all this tow data on the Honda is given without any weight info on the sticky travel trailer !

I looked it up...the Keystone Bullet 220 RBI has a dry weight of 4,600 lbs. plus cargo capacity of 1,800...that totals out to 6,400 lbs...this is no light weight trailer. It is 25 ft. 7 inches long.

His original Ford F-150 V8 powered truck could handle it but the Honda would be in over its head !!!

Case closed.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sometimes it helps to read all of the earlier posts.
See Post #8
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I saw that Bob and that should have ended the speculation about the Honda as a tow vehicle...it did not....so I looked up the specs on the Keystone Bullet and your estimate was right on and proved the Honda should have never been considered.

Very strange that the original poster failed to read the weights on his own new trailer ! He came here hoping we would bless his poor choice of a Honda.
If he went to the irv2.com website they would have set him straight.
When I look at a trailer my first question is always: "How much does it weigh??"
Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #26

California
I agree, I always refer to the builder web page when these q's come up.

As I said, the answer to the op's question was NO.
But "Answer Shopping" is nothing new to this site or to many others.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect the OP has left the building and this has become an internal conversation since... about post #8. Slow day on the forum...
Old 11-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #28

California
As the Daytime talk-show Hostess is oft to say: "Talk among yourselves"