Honda Pilot towing capacity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Keystone
Florida
Honda Pilot towing capacity

Hi everyone
I've got keystone Bullet RV, the new one (220RBI model). I used to own 2009 Ford F-150 with 5-liter V8 (around 300 hp) for hauling and now want to buy new Honda Pilot. It has V6 and something like 260 hp (don't remember exactly). Will it be enough for towing my RV?

(photos from the web)
Bludfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
What is the weight of the trailer, and the tongue weight? Next look in your owners manual or look on line to see what the rating of the tow vehicle is and the tongue weight rating is.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Keystone
Florida
Thank you!
Bludfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Since you haven't bought one yet, don't trust salespeople or information on the Honda website. Google and download the complete "2016 Honda Pilot Owner's Manual." It's very detailed and has lots of information and caveats about towing.

Also, beware of trailer manufacturers' dry weights. They don't include fluids, options or your stuff. Most people don't realize that a lot of features they take for granted are actually options. The final towing weight is usually many hundreds of pounds more than the dry weight. Have you weighed your trailer loaded for travel?

I tow a 13' Scamp (about 1800 pounds loaded) with a 2011 FWD Pilot (250hp, 5 speed auto, rated 3500/350). Power is adequate, but I wouldn't want to be towing a high profile trailer weighing close to the rated capacity in hilly, windy, or high altitude conditions (all of which apply to where I live). One feature I miss in mine is a full manual select transmission mode. The new ones introduce two new transmissions, depending on trim, so I'm curious if either has a manual mode.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Know that this forum is devoted to all-molded fiberglass trailers (fiberglass "eggs" like Scamps and Casitas). The trailer you have is a conventional framed trailer with a skin of non-molded fiberglass sheets. You'll probably get more feedback on your situation on a general RV forum. Here we'll tell you why you'd be better off with an egg.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Honda Pilot can it tow?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludfang View Post
Hi everyone
I've got keystone Bullet RV, the new one (220RBI model). I used to own 2009 Ford F-150 with 5-liter V8 (around 300 hp) for hauling and now want to buy new Honda Pilot. It has V6 and something like 260 hp (don't remember exactly). Will it be enough for towing my RV?

(photos from the web)
In our travels in buying new I found out that most vehicles built today have the CVT Transmission and they are not built to tow more than 1500#'s so make sure what make you have for a Tranny.
260HP should be able to tow about anything but can your transmission handle it. Only the Jeep Cherokee can handle towing more than 500#'s so ask questions, read your manual as the manual has all the info of the tow vehicle and how much weight the tower can handle when trailer is on board.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Stude, the larger Hondas, including the Pilot, still use conventional automatic transmissions.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Tow rating is a combination of many factors. Mass of vehicle to withstand forces applied to it by the trailer, braking systems, cooling systems, frame and strength of framing to uni-body allowing installation of a trailer hitch and again, more forces torqing on the vehicle. Tire size and strength. Strength of battery and charging system and ability to operate additional running, turning, and brake lights on trailer. I'm sure there's more that I have mentioned.

If engine hp alone was the sole factor then tiny, high powered sports cars would have great towing capabilities, but alas, no.

I also agree with earlier posts to verify the actual, real life weight of one's RV, dressed for travel or camping. It may surprise you very, very much. The only real way to know is to weigh the rig at a certified scale.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Short answer (Thanks to Google) is NO

The shipping weight of your trailer is 4800 lbs, meaning the ready to go it will be in the 5500-6000 lb range.

The top tow rating for the 2016 Honda Pilot is only (?) 5000 lbs.

Again, always look at the tow ratings in the owners manual for any vehicle you are considering as a TV. What the a sales rep/other owners/Google sez is secondary to the owners manual... period.

As mentioned, this is primarily a site for smaller/lightweight, molded fiberglass travel trailers. Our sister site IRV2.com (See link for other sites at the bottom of the page) might be a lot more helpful in providing answers for your rig. Good Luck.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
So, if you really want a Pilot, it looks like you'll have to ditch the Keystone for... Oh, oh, I know... a lightweight, molded fiberglass trailer! . The Escape trailers are really nice...

Seriously, though, in your situation I'd be looking for another truck or full-frame SUV like an Expedition or Sequoia. If you want something smaller, I believe a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango MIGHT have more capacity. A Ram 1500 3.0L ecodiesel would be sweet, but very expensive and unwieldy in a parking lot.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
Alabama
I have towed my 2008 Casita SD with my 2009 Honda Pilot in mountains, windy conditions, rain and shine with no problems. I will be using a WDH for all future trips as the tongue weight of the Casita is at the upper limit of the Pilot's capacity.
Tedus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I have just done a quick read of these comments and most seem right on, but one thing I don't see anyone mentioning so far is the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) that should be available in an owners manual or on the Honda website. Exceeding this risks warranty, insurance issues or legal issues if a problem develops or an accident occurs. Experience has taught me that I can't trust manufacturer trailer weights, or towing capabilities as told by sales people. Take the time to dot your I's, cross your T's and you'll end up with a much more satisfactory experience in the long run.
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
I have just done a quick read of these comments and most seem right on, but one thing I don't see anyone mentioning so far is the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) that should be available in an owners manual or on the Honda website. Exceeding this risks warranty, insurance issues or legal issues if a problem develops or an accident occurs. Experience has taught me that I can't trust manufacturer trailer weights, or towing capabilities as told by sales people. Take the time to dot your I's, cross your T's and you'll end up with a much more satisfactory experience in the long run.
Honda spells it all out in excruciating detail in the manual. There's a chart showing how your towing capacity decreases as you load up the vehicle.
Here's a sample from my 2011 Pilot manual:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot Towing.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	90665
The non-linearity in the chart reveals that Honda is not only factoring in the GCWR but also the GAWR of the rear axle.

The owner's manual is always the place to start. I'm grateful that today you can download and read the owner's manual for almost any common vehicle before you visit a showroom.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Stick with the Ford truck ...it will do the job...chances are the Honda will not.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #14

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Honda spells it all out in excruciating detail in the manual. There's a chart showing how your towing capacity decreases as you load up the vehicle.
Attachment 90665
The non-linearity in the chart reveals that Honda is not only factoring in the GCWR but also the GAWR of the rear axle.

The owner's manual is always the place to start. I'm grateful that today you can download and read the owner's manual for almost any common vehicle before you visit a showroom.
The GCWR of the 2016 Pilot is on page 638 of the owner's manual, the 2011 GCWR is found on page 538 of the owner's manual....
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
What is the weight of the trailer, and the tongue weight? Next look in your owners manual or look on line to see what the rating of the tow vehicle is and the tongue weight rating is.
Also check the vehicles GVWR its another important number to know. You could have a trailer that is under the total tow spec of the vehicle but with the trailers tongue weight, passengers and gear in the vehicle yo can be well over the GVWR.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Attachment 90665

Love the chart. This is so hard to get many folks to understand, it seems to me. The FBRV draws so many people with compact type vehicles with minimalistic towing abilities and there are too many voices proclaiming, "I've towed my XXX with my XXXX and I've had no problem". That chart is terrific in showing how weight in the tow vehicle effects things. Thanks so much for posting it.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
One more factor to consider: the longer your tow vehicle's wheelbase, the more stable the rig will handle. A 111" wheelbase is the same as my old 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and twin to the Ford Explorer. I towed an '05 23' Rockwood trailer, about 3400 lbs advertised dry weight, for a couple of years with the Mountaineer, and without the Equal-i-zer hitch to stop sway it felt very squirrelly. Short wheelbase + long trailer = white knuckle handling.

Beyond that, I agree that this TT is FAR too heavy and has FAR too much hitch weight for a Pilot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Depending on how the truck is equipped, it might not be capable either.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Honda Pilot towing capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
The GCWR of the 2016 Pilot is on page 638 of the owner's manual, the 2011 GCWR is found on page 538 of the owner's manual....
Rather absurd, when you think about it, that the owner's manual for a motor vehicle runs over 600 pages. Of course, at least a third of mine pertains to the infotainment system I DON'T have. Just resetting the maintenance reminder system requires two full pages. Turn the ignition, push and hold a button, click your heels three times, genuflect to the Honda gods... something like that...
Old 11-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Rather absurd, when you think about it, that the owner's manual for a motor vehicle runs over 600 pages. Of course, at least a third of mine pertains to the infotainment system I DON'T have. Just resetting the maintenance reminder system requires something like two full pages. Turn the ignition, push and hold a button, click your heels three times, genuflect to the Honda gods... something like that...

You got that right Jon, they are way to long but I did find one thing interesting in mine for the Rangers night time p/u cargo box lights. It told me what the bulb # was but didn't have one word in it to tell anybody how to turn them on. BTW, the dashboard dimmer switch turned all the way up controls them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote