Honest appraisal of value of old eggs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Rehabbing an old trailer if you don't love the adventure makes no sense but you also have to factor in the self inflected payment plan. People who don't have the means or desire to plunk down a wad of cash for a high end unit can still get into the game with some pain, frustration, and adventure. Who's to judge value. When your gone its not about the money matters but the path you have traveled in your life.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
Commercial Member
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Rehabbing an old trailer if you don't love the adventure makes no sense but you also have to factor in the self inflected payment plan. People who don't have the means or desire to plunk down a wad of cash for a high end unit can still get into the game with some pain, frustration, and adventure. Who's to judge value. When your gone its not about the money matters but the path you have traveled in your life.
Well said Steve . After restoring eight fg trailers the money I invested I could of easily have bought a new one but I don't think I would of gotten near the satisfaction of turning something that looked hopelessly bad with no chance of ever being camped in again into a trailer featured on a major magazine cover .

Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper, 2002 Highlander 3.0L, 1999 F250 7.3L Diesel
Antique John Deere tractor rebuilders set the bar on doing restorations just for the love of doing restorations. They will spend $3,000 on a fixer-upper, put 3 years and $3,000 more into it, then sell it for $3,000 just so they can buy the next $3,000 fixer-upper. And they do it over and over again just for the love and pride of bringing another one of those great old green machines back to life. God bless them....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #18
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Having recently purchased an older Scamp (1988) and having started the rehab process I felt moved to post this for those thinking about buying an older “egg”. I bought a fairly solid rig and still have spent upwards of $2,000 additional hard cash, and have probably invested at least that much more in un-paid “sweat equity” just to get it road worthy, dry, and usable. I have kept scrupulous records to capture every penny spent just so I would not be fooled by missing those little expenditures that can really add up. I am a Carpenter by trade and have all the tools and equipment, including welding tools, to do all the repairs/upgrades otherwise my cash investment in rehabbing the old Scamp would be much greater.

I don’t want to turn anybody off from buying and fixing up an old egg. Far from it I want every egg to be loved and enjoyed and saved for the future, like their inherently sturdy timeless designs allow (with reasonable maintenance). My fear is an escalation of “perceived” values (prices) in the marketplace because our old eggs are so great. People, both buyers and sellers, need to have an honest view of the real value of these machines. And old machines that need a lot of work and upgrading should be valued accordingly.

The value of most things sold used is something agreed on a case by case basis between seller and buyer. If you want to buy an older trailer with the idea of making it a good or better than new with paying price then you must be a bit naive. As long as you enjoy it the price isn't an issue.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #19
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Before Hurricane Sandy, I was looking for a used older fiberglass Trailer. I am "relatively" handy....did significant fiberglass repairs to the keel of my last "new to me" sailboat which the prior owner used about a dozen coats of bottom paint to cover all the significant cracks in the keel that would have sunk to the bottom. I bought it in Tn, and paid to have it delivered so there was a good chunk of money...almost sued him but decided I could do the work and took me about 3 months of time cutting away the damage, letting it all dry out and reglassing...2 years later when Sandy had her way with it, the keel was still bone dry.

When you don't have the money to buy a newer one, and have the time and skills you can make do. Axle, tires, brakes, running lights...highest priority to make it a useable camper shell...then slowly doing everything else can get you into the camping world much cheaper initially, but when its time to add new fridge, stove, water heater, furnace the price starts rising. I was ready to go this route to have a stand up camper. I built 2 tear drop trailer sized tiny travel trailers in the past so I knew I could do the work.

I got lucky and got a nice check from the insurance company for my boat so when I saw my ParkLiner for sale I decided it was worth it to save the time and for once have something almost brand new. Not that I am not always tinkering with it and adding things (solar panel, new removable upper vent for the fridge, new Maxx Air deluxe roof vent, new crank for the emergency exit, awning, new upholstery (twice lol...thank the gods I have an industrial machine and the know how lol) and a million other little projects lol) But that's mostly customizing.

Going the sweat equity way is not necessarily the cheaper path but after the important things are done to make it street safe and legal...you can start camping in It and add new components as you have time and money...I sadly don't have the "big boy job" with the "big boy Paycheck" lol so you learn to make do.

Both choices are valid and up to the individual to think hard if they can do the work and is it worth it to them.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #20
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
We purchased an older trailer in fair shape and have made numerous upgrades and modifications. The benefit is that you can make it into what you want and need.

We view it as a continuous process, each year when we return we have a list of improvements and some repairs to make. Though there are better trailers than ours available, our Scamp is like an old pair of shoes, comfortable and known.

We have company for the week. My nephew just borrowed my Keens to wear crabbing at the beach with his son. I've had a new pair of Keens for a year that I've hardly worn, the old ones have to almost fall apart for me to change to the new. Loyal to my shoes and comfortable with my trailer.

Have a great holiday,
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
I have saved several MFG trailers and brought them back to life. I have learned a lot from remolding. I set the selling price on the what i paid for the trailer and the material costs. It is rewarding to show what you did from start to finish.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #22
Name: Jake
Trailer: 1984 Burro
My wife and I just got back from a 16 hour round trip to pick up our 1984 Burro. It needs some love (and repairs) and we paid what seemed like the top end of fair value, but the PO held it for two weeks so that we could make the trip to pick it up. What's that worth? After nose poking around a bit we found a lot of things that need work, but to us that is half of the fun! It was road worthy and camp ready when we bought it, so what if we need to use flashlights and have to cook outside?
So in conclusion, do it for the love! Also we have been taking picture for the before and after section....stay tuned.

mygraine is offline   Reply With Quote