Honest appraisal of value of old eggs - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Honest appraisal of value of old eggs

Having recently purchased an older Scamp (1988) and having started the rehab process I felt moved to post this for those thinking about buying an older “egg”. I bought a fairly solid rig and still have spent upwards of $2,000 additional hard cash, and have probably invested at least that much more in un-paid “sweat equity” just to get it road worthy, dry, and usable. I have kept scrupulous records to capture every penny spent just so I would not be fooled by missing those little expenditures that can really add up. I am a Carpenter by trade and have all the tools and equipment, including welding tools, to do all the repairs/upgrades otherwise my cash investment in rehabbing the old Scamp would be much greater.

I don’t want to turn anybody off from buying and fixing up an old egg. Far from it I want every egg to be loved and enjoyed and saved for the future, like their inherently sturdy timeless designs allow (with reasonable maintenance). My fear is an escalation of “perceived” values (prices) in the marketplace because our old eggs are so great. People, both buyers and sellers, need to have an honest view of the real value of these machines. And old machines that need a lot of work and upgrading should be valued accordingly.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Timber,
I am glad that you have the tools and energy for these rebuilding projects! I use to love doing rebuilds and making things better than new. Age has a way of changing ones mind! Now I do not look for projects like yours. But, I think you are a wonderful person to tackle this project! It would be great to see some pictures of before and after? That is if you have time?
Thank you, I hope you project turns out better than you thought!
Carl

Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
As a father of 5, I don't have much free time. When I get the bunny suit on and start grinding, or laying down fibreglass, I am in my happy place. I buy trailers that require work, not for value, but for fun. I am sure that the hours that I put in probably pay me less than minimum wage, in terms of increased value, but I look at it as being paid to have fun.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I buy trailers that require work, not for value, but for fun.
I enjoy the sense of satisfaction of repairing things and getting use out of them, but it is not fun for me. And when/if I end up with more money in something than it is worth, or I could have bought a new one for, I feel like a chump. The people I directed my post to are those whom based on their questions apparently don't have a clue. Like failed axles, these are serious and costly issues and need to be factored into any value consideration.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Before I got into the older egg trailers I was totally bemused as to why you would see so many half finished projects for sale. After taking on an oldie that needed lots of work I totally understand. You have to be in it for the love and I now know total rehabs are not for me
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
kootenaigirl, Not happy with your Trillium?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Love my Trillium David, I see that one as needing minor cosmetic items to just spruce it up which all older trailers need. I was referring to my previous Boler which needed much more work and led to my husband saying he wasn't renovating any more trailers with me
Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As a father of 5, I don't have much free time. When I get the bunny suit on ...
Reminder to self, don't wear bunny suit, thinking that's how Dave got there in the first place.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Having recently purchased an older Scamp (1988) and having started the rehab process I felt moved to post this for those thinking about buying an older “egg”. I bought a fairly solid rig and still have spent upwards of $2,000 additional hard cash, and have probably invested at least that much more in un-paid “sweat equity” just to get it road worthy, dry, and usable. I have kept scrupulous records to capture every penny spent just so I would not be fooled by missing those little expenditures that can really add up. I am a Carpenter by trade and have all the tools and equipment, including welding tools, to do all the repairs/upgrades otherwise my cash investment in rehabbing the old Scamp would be much greater.

I don’t want to turn anybody off from buying and fixing up an old egg. Far from it I want every egg to be loved and enjoyed and saved for the future, like their inherently sturdy timeless designs allow (with reasonable maintenance). My fear is an escalation of “perceived” values (prices) in the marketplace because our old eggs are so great. People, both buyers and sellers, need to have an honest view of the real value of these machines. And old machines that need a lot of work and upgrading should be valued accordingly.
I couldn't agree with you more.
I am a mechanic by trade and a cabinet maker by hobby with both full metal and woodworking shops so I also have the tools and training. I am always "tinkering" with something, or building something unique. I usually don't start out with any sort of plan...things just evolve into what I envision once the project starts.

When I bought our Boler I paid what I thought was top dollar for it as it appeared to be in good shape, but just like an older home problems lurked that only relieved themselves later. My Boler project has taken 3 years and over $8,000 in parts and materials over and above the original purchase price (no labor included in those figures).

Has it been worth the cost and effort? in my mind YES.
Will I ever get the current appraised value from it? probably not but I built it for me and my wife, not to profit,
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
At some point a comparison can be drawn between the cost of a refurbished egg and the price of a brand new egg. This will be the main limiting factor on what a refurb will bring on resale. However, there are intangibles to the refurbisher (satisfaction of the project and of doing it one's own way).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
At some point a comparison can be drawn between the cost of a refurbished egg and the price of a brand new egg. This will be the main limiting factor on what a refurb will bring on resale. However, there are intangibles to the refurbisher (satisfaction of the project and of doing it one's own way).
Well put Mike. What my wife considered a 14,000 pound yellow lawn ornament when I brought it home eventually came back to life as a first year of production RD4 Cat bulldozer - machine 101, born in 1939. Took 12 years and thousands of $ to find/fix the parts. But it was worth it to me. Took a lot of beer, too.......

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #12

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
At some point a comparison can be drawn between the cost of a refurbished egg and the price of a brand new egg.
This may be true, but I think even then you are still ahead of the game when it comes to "customizing" your egg. I know I wouldn't be as willing to get in there and change things on a "new" camper as I am with my well-loved scamp... but the expense of many items (solar, LEDs, etc) still add up, new or old
Old 07-04-2014, 03:30 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Charlie, the beer goes along with ALL projects and can't be factored into the overall price. Sitting in the garage on your favorite stool and figuring out just how to make that mod work for you takes a few. Like they say, it's part of doing business
Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #14

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Sarah,
Love the graphics on your camper!