Hoping for some local assistance in Abbotsford, BC, area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well I've been looking for a narrow, gravity furnace for my Boler for nearly a year now, without much luck. I did buy one last May, only to find that it was "gutless" (that is, the burner and controls had been removed ).

Now I've found one in Abbotsford, BC, and have committed to buying it. However the seller doesn't drive to the US, and he sounds like a really nice person but not someone who's going to pack it up and ship it to the US.

In my experience, sending via Canada Post is the best, because it avoids the crazy "brokerage fees" of UPS and other couriers, but it's still expensive. Getting it across the border and then sending UPS or Parcel Post from US-to-US would probably be the best (least scarily expensive), if it could work out.

I told the seller that I would check here to see if I could find a way to get it to me, and then let him know what I found out. Here are a few options I thought of:

1) Maybe an FGRV-er who lives in Canada might be coming into the US and would bring it over the border for shipping?

2) Maybe someone who lives in the US might be going up to Canada and would bring it back and then ship it from where they live in the US?

3) Maybe someone in Abbotsford wouldn't mind shipping it out via Canada Post?

(Abbotsford is not too far from the Blaine, WA, border crossing).

I'm not sure it's the exact same model I have, but if it is, I wouldn't even need the bulky sheet-metal parts, as I am only missing the burner and controls type stuff - although it would be nice to have the whole thing, just in case (especially if it's not exactly the same).

So, if anyone would be willing to help out (and maybe you have an idea that I haven't thought of), I'd be thrilled Of course I would be happy to compensate for your trouble/expense - we could discuss that and figure it out prior to doing anything.

Feel free to contact me here, or by PM.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have shipped many a Boler item from Canada to the USA by mail. The person who receives item in the USA then sends me back whatever the postage was. I have had no problems.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

Hi Chester,

That looks pretty far from Abbotsford (unless you are traveling?)

I understand that Canada Post works well; I just need someone who would be willing to pick up the furnace and send it. Although, that said, I think it would still be pretty expensive (going on past experience), so if someone were able to send it from the US, all the better.

I realize it's a long shot; I was just thinking that, well, you never know, and maybe someone would be in or going to the Abbostford area who wouldn't mind helping out.

Raya
Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Raya
I have also shipped stuff by Greyhound. I sent it collect.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #5

Hi Chester,

Yes, that was the one option the seller offered, but I don't believe that will get it into the US and to my location (from the checking I did). Thanks though.

Raya
Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hey Raya....I'm in Chilliwack and would be willing to stop in Abbotsford to pick up the furnace. I am constantly traveling to Sumas WA to pick up supplies and can ship it from there.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

Hi Reace,

That would be very much appreciated! Shipping from US to US should save a bundle on postage and/or complication.

I'll PM you to exchange details.

Again, thanks so much for offering The skinny furnace that fits in my size Boler is really hard to find.

Raya
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Reace, send a bunch of Escape brochures too .... Raya, you'll be drooling.

But, I just have to say... what a nice thing for you to do Reace.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Awwww.....sometimes when someone is in a bind, someone else has an easy solution! (I'll send Tammy )

Lol....just kidding Tammy.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote